Sign in to follow this  
Jordan Peacock

Nuka-Girl (50227)

2018_10_10_reaper_50227_nuka_girl_by_jor

For a silly Fallout-inspired Savage Worlds RPG scenario or two that I'm running at Necronomicon, I've put together a "Rooby-Doo" gang (basically Scooby-Doo characters with the "serial numbers clumsily filed off" and some half-hearted attempt to fit them into the Fallout universe).  One twist is that since the "Rooby Gang" only has 5 members, and the gaming department at Necronomicon prefers RPG scenarios that can seat SIX players, I introduced the idea of a "Mystery Special Guest Star" character that would use a basic template, but the player could pick some actor or fictitious character, mangle the name a bit, plug in a couple of Edges to represent the character's strengths, and run with it.  Initially I saw this as an opportunity for someone to do a bad Elvis or Arnold Schwarzenegger impression, but I got the idea of how it'd be fun to have a bunch of in-universe fictitious characters to choose from -- much how Batman and Robin could show up in a Scooby cartoon just as easily as Mama Cass or Don Knotts.  I've been converting a few (mostly Chronoscope) minis to represent members of the Unstoppables, I've already got a decent "Captain Cosmos," I'm working on a Jangles the Moon-Monkey ... and here we have Nuka Girl.

Now, this differs noticeably from the official Nuka Girl in that this outfit is a little bit more spaceworthy than Nuka-Girl's pinup outfit (i.e., no bare midriff, no cleavage), but I wasn't about to do major surgery to the "Dee-Dee, Astro Girl" (#50227) model to push things in that direction.  I suppose this could very well be just someone who's wearing a Fallout-universe spacesuit that happens to be styled after Nuka Girl (just as it's quite possible to run around in Fallout 4 dressed as the Silver Shroud, the Mechanist, or Grognak the Barbarian).

The main element I was missing, however, would be the bubble helmet.  For that, it just so happens that a local store (Cool Stuff Games) has quite a few HeroClix I can get as singles, and those included S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent #011 and Nick Fury #017 from the "Avengers Infinity" set.  Both minis are essentially the same, save for a head swap, and both feature a clear plastic bubble-top helmet that can be easily popped off.  I bought several of them since it was a far cheaper source of bubble-helmets than anywhere else I know of (especially since it was local, so I didn't have to mess with shipping & handling).  It's by no means a perfect fit for Dee-Dee/Nuka-Girl, but at least it DOES fit over her head.  I didn't bother trying to mess with the joint collar, since that would've been an entirely new ordeal; the Dee-Dee mini already has a thick "helmet collar" that almost fills out the open space at the bottom of the bubble-dome helmet, so I figure it's "good enough for tabletop."

• Like 22

Heh, using Knight Models or a Wizkid Batman figure would be kinda funny for the Scooby gang. Love the helmet add-on.

Nice indeed! I like that sculpt a lot; painted her twice. 

Hydra Miniatures Galacteers has Cosmo the Space-Ape; might be a good Moon-Monkey stand-in. (Eureka also has a number of Space Apes, but they are sold as a set. Gosh dang it do I love space apes!) Bombshell also has some bubble helmets and collars for kitbashing. 

21 hours ago, Rigel said:

Nice indeed! I like that sculpt a lot; painted her twice. 

Hydra Miniatures Galacteers has Cosmo the Space-Ape; might be a good Moon-Monkey stand-in. (Eureka also has a number of Space Apes, but they are sold as a set. Gosh dang it do I love space apes!) Bombshell also has some bubble helmets and collars for kitbashing. 

Yeah, I've definitely looked at those, but the trouble with the Bombshell helmets is that I hate shelling out a lot of money for something that MIGHT do the job I want, on mail order.  I wasn't really sure which size of helmet I needed, for starters.

If my FLGS actually had some in stock and I could take a look at them in the packing, then I'd grab some. 

(I really dread the day when online sales drive brick-and-mortar stores out of business.  Sometimes I DO get my Reaper minis online, but it's typically either as part of a used grab-bag deal, or else because I tried ordering them through my local store but for whatever reason just couldn't convince them that, yes, really I've even heard it from Reaper itself, YES, this miniature is still IN PRODUCTION.) 

By contrast, the Clix bubble helmets represented less of an investment, and a shorter wait time, since my store had them as single figures locally.

Incidentally, regarding Space Apes, I got a bunch of those AT-43 Karman "Yetis" when I had the chance.  Not only are they apes in power armor, but they've got plastic bubble helmets.  (Far too large for Dee-Dee, though.)  For my Fallout-themed games, I used them to comprise a new "faction," as descendants of genetically-modified apes bred as part the space program, C.A.P.E. (program based in Cape Canaveral).  Because in pulp retrofuturistic postapocalyptic sci-fi, you can't do without some SPACE APES.  I also found a use for a ruined Statue of Liberty prop at the CAPE base, as an obvious sight gag.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Incidentally, regarding Space Apes, I got a bunch of those AT-43 Karman "Yetis" when I had the chance.  Not only are they apes in power armor, but they've got plastic bubble helmets...For my Fallout-themed games, I used them to comprise a new "faction," as descendants of genetically-modified apes bred as part the space program, C.A.P.E. (program based in Cape Canaveral).  Because in pulp retrofuturistic postapocalyptic sci-fi, you can't do without some SPACE APES.  I also found a use for a ruined Statue of Liberty prop at the CAPE base, as an obvious sight gag.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. I hope to see them on here someday!  That's right exactly up my alley.

8 hours ago, Rigel said:

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. I hope to see them on here someday!  That's right exactly up my alley.

Duly noted, but the "problem" is that AT-43 miniatures were all pre-painted (and pretty decent jobs, all things considered, compared to certain other "pre-painted" lines).  So, I wouldn't feel like I'd have much cause to post pictures of them here unless I'd actually applied some paint and done some sort of kit-bashing.  I really should have gotten on the ball some time ago, back when they were still readily available (Karmans, at least) on Miniature Market, because then any such projects might at least have some value in the form of, "Here is this thing I did that YOU can do, too!"  As it is, it's a fair bet that I'm at my safest at fulfilling that particular goal when I'm using Reaper minis.  ;)

Honestly, it's a real shame that AT-43 got discontinued -- and right when (in my opinion) they were starting to put out some really interesting minis.  I've got a few UNA (Euro-troopers with squat "Dreadnaught"-style power armor), Red Blok (Soviets ... in ... SPAAAACE!  With stompy robots.), Therian (creepy cyber invaders with lots of smooth surfaces, creepy porcelain doll faces, and nanotech threads/cables), and of course some Karmans (space apes with stylin' retrofuturistic air-scooters and anime-style weaponry).  I even managed to get an army box (at a mark-up) for Oni (amoral mercenary megacorp with super med-tech, cyber-zombies, wheeled tanks, and gas-mask troopers with German-looking helmets), but Rackham went kaput before it could release all the forces for that faction. 

The only faction I DIDN'T bother to pick anything up for would be the Cogs -- basically tall "grey" space aliens wearing vaguely 1980s-ish anime high-tech armor, with humanoid mecha.  In some respects, they look almost Tau-like, but they'd never work as proxies: they look like slightly less-advanced, taller cousins of the Tau, rather.  Maybe I could use some of those mecha, but honestly probably only as kitbash material -- they're ALMOST cool, but kind of weird.

Of course, this means, alongside the space-monkeys of Karman, for the longest time they were the easiest to acquire of what was left of AT-43 stocks out there.  Of the various factions, they just didn't strike me as something I'd have much use for in anything OUTSIDE of AT-43 (and nobody was playing it anymore).  UNA and ONI are perfect for cyberpunk and near-future settings.  Therians work as creepy cyber-adversaries with a bit of a higher-tech vibe.  Red Blok has that retro Soviet vibe, and I like their aesthetic better than the SSU in Dust Tactics -- if I were to play Dust Tactics, I'd be tempted to see if someone would let me use some of my Red Blok forces as proxies, alongside the cute and squat SSU helicopters.

Karmans?  Yeah, I imagine for MOST people it'd be hard to find a use for them, but they were positively PERFECT for games of Slipstream (which actually had MULTIPLE alien adversary types who could be termed "space apes" with a few cosmetic variations), particularly with those retro bubble helmets.  And though nothing of the sort appears in Fallout, it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine that they could be shoehorned in there somewhere.

• Like 3