Hack Mini Painter

10 Rookie Tips... From a Rookie

12 minutes ago, thelonegoldfish said:

It means I'm happy and actually get stuff on the table instead of endlessly re-doing the same mini. Doesn't mean I won't try new techniques, but for example if my attempt at shading TMM doesn't have as much contrast as I like, as long as the thing still reads like a sword I'll move on to the next one. It's not like I don't have 2.8 kickstarters more minis to try things on or anything?

I think that's a perfectly fine way to look at it. It is YOUR hobby, after all. You should certainly approach it in whatever way makes you happy and keeps you doing it. I think some people forget that not everyone is working toward the same goal and moreover that there's nothing wrong with having your own different goal. I think that's it great to strive toward painting like *Insert awesome painter here* and to make that a goal to work toward. But if your goal is to get minis on the table and have them painted better than prepaints, that's awesome too. Besides, comparing yourself to others' painting can be a dangerous demotivator if you don't properly temper your expectations.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, thelonegoldfish said:

It means I'm happy and actually get stuff on the table instead of endlessly re-doing the same mini. Doesn't mean I won't try new techniques, but for example if my attempt at shading TMM doesn't have as much contrast as I like, as long as the thing still reads like a sword I'll move on to the next one. It's not like I don't have 2.8 kickstarters more minis to try things on or anything?

I agree with Guindyloo on this one.

The most important thing in the hobby is...to have fun!

That's why it is a hobby.

Each of us has his/her own goal and own ideas.

We can learn from each other, we can try to get better.

But in the end it is all about fun, because if you stop having fun with it, it will be the end of the hobby.

I only paint for fun and display.

One of the things that I really enjoy is creating a world and the armies to fill that world, not related to any game system, so I can let my imagination run wild.

Others will create armies for a game and need to follow certain rules.

I paint busts and large scale as well and want to become good at that.

We all have our own ideas about what makes the hobby fun.

If all you want to do is slap paint on a mini so you can field it in a game and make it look a bit decent, that's fine.

If you want to be the next Pro-painter and become the best there is, that's also fine.

Just have fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:52 AM, Hack Mini Painter said:

8. Thin your paint, use less  paint on the brush, and clean your brush often (with artist rush cleaner)! If your paint is thicker than cream, you're waaaaayyy off. If your brush has paint up to the metal bit, you're waaaaayyy off. If you only have 1 "rinse" pot, you're waaaaayyy off.

What do you mean by this?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I also only have one.

But I do clean it every few rinses.

I guess the most important thing here is to make sure you don't rinse a brush which handled metallics and then rinse a brush which handled normal paint in it and then go on painting.

You do need to clean that so the metal won't pollute the normal paint..

But otherwise, clean and you're good.

• Like 3

I try to have two rinse containers quite often. A first rinse and a second. The second can be used for diluting. Not a big deal but I like having a container that is for paint stuff but not gross. The gross one does get washed, but by being the first rinse tank it gets grayed out faster. 

I also change water that has primer or metallics in it. No mixing those with regular stuff. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Like others mentioned, I use a second one specifically for metallic paints...  Although I do like Cyradis' idea of having a second one for diluting....

I say one cup is perfectly fine, provided you take steps to prevent contamination, although two does have a nice convenience factor to it.  It's also twice as many things to rinse out and clean every time.

• Like 4

I only use one if I'm not at my home station. The gross cup probably gets rinsed more often than the clean one in all honesty; the clean one has so little gunk in it that I don't feel the need all that much. When I rinse I only sometimes use soap actively; mostly I'm just water-blasting the gunk away, possibly wiping with a paper towel or sponge. I'm not a weasel-licker, so a few germs aren't grossing me out. 

It isn't really a big deal on having a "clean" bin. I just like the habit. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 5:17 PM, Hack Mini Painter said:

…sometimes I'll put aside a mini that I really like, and think about it a bit more, and consider things like color and technique. Then, once I decide what I'm going to do I try out said technique or color scheme on another piece to see how it looks.

As an alternative to putting a mini aside, have you considered a more active approach to planning?  Derek Schubert has a great example of using a simple sketch on paper to plan how he wanted to paint Luwin Phost in the Dungeon Dwellers painting guides https://www.reapermini.com/images/dungeondwellers/07008_low.pdf

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 9:34 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Apologies for the slow reply, I was working all weekend. I'm a huge fan of "professional" brush cleaner. I use the B & J "The Masters" Brush Cleaner. I use it liberally, and often. It makes an absolute mess of your "wash" pot, and I don't like introducing this material (full of surfactant/"soap") to my paints when I want to thin them. Also, like all the others said, metallic paint (which I really enjoy) add lots of little flecks, so this and the soap tend to take care of that. Hope this helps.

H

P.S. Don't mind the WIP. Maybe I should add "sticky tack" to the list... lol

20181014_210128.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, brehaut said:

As an alternative to putting a mini aside, have you considered a more active approach to planning?  Derek Schubert has a great example of using a simple sketch on paper to plan how he wanted to paint Luwin Phost in the Dungeon Dwellers painting guides https://www.reapermini.com/images/dungeondwellers/07008_low.pdf

Yup, I've considered it, and I sort of apply it. I'm pretty crap at freehand (right now all I can do are stripes, it's a start, https://hackminipainter.blogspot.com/2018/10/goblin-broome.html), but I do put paints sided by side on paper to look at dried color combinations. Putting them "on ice" isn't necessary, I prefer trying things out on pseudo-practice models, (when painting squads I do the heroes last, be they sergeants, librarians, catchers, or just awesome heroes). That said I'm still sitting on a few... which I hope to get done this year.  By way of example, when I first saw the following Reaper mins (14324: Herryk Aesir, Dwarf Warlord ), I knew I had to paint him, but at the same time I also saw (14039: Ivar, Dwarf Priest), which I also really liked. In the end I liked Herryk more, so I painted Ivar first, just to see what would happen if his cloak was green. In the end Ivar was green and Herryk (WIP) was purple. Although not depicted well Ivar has an NMM anvil but with metallic for his armor, while Herryk I went all metallic (I probably broke some "rule" by mixing NMM and metallic in on e figure, but I was/am still getting the hang of NMM and it wasn't the focus for this project).

The Webs are full of inspiration including Reaper's own "inspiration gallery". I use all the reference material I can find when I have an idea in mind that I want to try, or to see some color combinations. I also find that since it's resurrection, (if you will) White Dwarf, can be an awesome resource. It is by far the largest monthly source of high quality photos (that you can flip through), that I know of. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I just browse.

H

P.S. I'll show the front of Herryk when he's done. ;)

20181014_212048.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hack Mini Painter said:

Apologies for the slow reply, I was working all weekend. I'm a huge fan of "professional" brush cleaner. I use the B & J "The Masters" Brush Cleaner. I use it liberally, and often. It makes an absolute mess of your "wash" pot, and I don't like introducing this material (full of surfactant/"soap") to my paints when I want to thin them. Also, like all the others said, metallic paint (which I really enjoy) add lots of little flecks, so this and the soap tend to take care of that. Hope this helps.

H

P.S. Don't mind the WIP. Maybe I should add "sticky tack" to the list... lol

20181014_210128.jpg

I love that Grenadier Orc on Lizard!

There is section for WIPś

I suggest to show your progress there!

Looking forward to see more of this!

• Like 2

I usually only have a single rinse pot (But there's a sink right around the corner from where I work so I change the water often.) However, when using water to dilute I try to not use water from my rinse pot. I have a dropper bottle of clean water that I use.  A whole drop of water may be too much, depending on what I'm doing, so sometimes I just put a drop near the edge of my palate paper, and dip my brush in that. 

• Like 4

On 10/15/2018 at 1:40 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I love that Grenadier Orc on Lizard!

There is section for WIPś

I suggest to show your progress there!

Looking forward to see more of this!

Thanks for the compliment and input. I wasn't trying to specifically show WIP, more the brush soap, he just happened to be stuck to it....  ;)

H

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hack Mini Painter said:

Thanks for the compliment and input. I wasn't trying to specifically show WIP, more the brush soap, he just happened to be stuck to it....  ;)

H

I get that.

Still...I hope you will at least put it in Show Off when finished, it's a great mini.

I love the old Grenadier stuff.

and I have that soap as well...

• Like 2