Doug Sundseth

Sculpting free-standing feathers

19 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thinking on anvils, in a pinch, you could take a hammer and put it in a vice, strike face up and use it like a jeweler's anvil.

Just make sure you wear safety glasses when forging.

Gaahh! :blink:

I have had an aversion to hitting hammers together pounded* into me. I know that in this case the force would be really unlikely to cause a problem, but hammer faces are pretty brittle. If I were going to try something like this, I'd want to use a hammer with quite a large face, like a sledgehammer (which I think run softer than, say, a typical ball peen) for the "anvil" and something much smaller for striking.

* So to say. :B):

• Like 2

Supposedly according to Mythbusters the hammer on hammer thing is not true but the episode was a bit controversial. The hammers were only hit straight on, they tried to harden the hammers to get them to break while brittle but used a questionable method of hardening, and real world examination of well used hammers finds that hammer heads do chip and crack, especially when hit against another hardened surface or at a less than perfectly straight angle, and those chips still have to fly somewhere. So if you are going to hit hammers together be careful and wear your eye protection!

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 9:54 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

Gaahh! :blink:

I have had an aversion to hitting hammers together pounded* into me. I know that in this case the force would be really unlikely to cause a problem, but hammer faces are pretty brittle. If I were going to try something like this, I'd want to use a hammer with quite a large face, like a sledgehammer (which I think run softer than, say, a typical ball peen) for the "anvil" and something much smaller for striking.

* So to say. :B):

Me too, I cringed when typing it, but, there isn't a lot of difference between the head of a hammer and a hardened anvil strike plate of a jeweler's anvil.  Both are hardened steel. That said, I would only do this if I didn't have an anvil and really needed to do it.  I always prefer to have the right tool for the job.  Thankfully, I have about 5 such tools now (I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm suddenly a wash with small anvils/strike plates).

BTW, did you know that a section of rail from a railway makes a good anvil.  The only issue is in grinding the face flat and smooth.

So @Doug Sundseth, did you try it?

12 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Me too, I cringed when typing it, but, there isn't a lot of difference between the head of a hammer and a hardened anvil strike plate of a jeweler's anvil.  Both are hardened steel. That said, I would only do this if I didn't have an anvil and really needed to do it.  I always prefer to have the right tool for the job.  Thankfully, I have about 5 such tools now (I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm suddenly a wash with small anvils/strike plates).

Shocking. A person with a forge who has a plethora of anvils. That's never happened before. ::P:

BTW, did you know that a section of rail from a railway makes a good anvil.  The only issue is in grinding the face flat and smooth.

My son has done some blacksmithing (started with the merit badge), so I did know that. But I don't really have any idea where I might find pieces of rail. When the highest rated article on a Google search comes up with, "Ask everyone you know if they have a piece of rail" as the first method, that doesn't bode really well.

So @Doug Sundseth, did you try it?

No. Because I'm lame. And not in an, "I injured my leg" sort of way. :down:

I got caught up in finishing a batch of Secret Weapon mines tiles, watching football, and (worst of all) the Pathfinder Kingmaker CRPG.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

My son has done some blacksmithing (started with the merit badge), so I did know that. But I don't really have any idea where I might find pieces of rail. When the highest rated article on a Google search comes up with, "Ask everyone you know if they have a piece of rail" as the first method, that doesn't bode really well.

I found one at an estate sale a couple years back.  I got it for a song.  It is about a foot long.  I haven't dressed it yet, since I have yet to need something so large, someday. 

My son keeps talking about wanting to set up a real forge in the back yard where we can make knives (we love the show Forged in Fire).  I just acquired a large and deep cast iron pan at an estate sale this weekend that would make an excellent pan for a home made coal forge.  I might have to pick @Kang's brain on making forging tools.  I find forging hammers all the time at estate sales, so that would be easy and I can face my rail for a starter anvil. The biggest issue for me would be a grinder, as all I have is a simple 2-wheel bench grinder.

• Like 4