Miranda2

Need advice on paints, matte or satin?

I have a mishmash of different brands, Army painter, Vallejo and my new Reaper HD set. But I just realized some of the Folk art I bought are matte and some are satin.I need to fill in some holes in my colors and not sure which is better. I seem to prefer the satin but want to keep with one or the other, not both.  Im still a noob so have only painted all the Zombicide minis..I am starting on the Blood Rage minis now..

I will eventually get all the Reaper HD sets but for now I can only get craft paint locally.

THX

• Like 1

The answer is, genuinely, use whatever you prefer. If you like the satin the most, use the satin. Now some people will tell you that's not the "right" answer and that's because traditionally, at the scale of most miniature figures (28-32mm) a matte finish looks more "correct" to the eye when painting metal or plastic figures to look organic. The satin, being more shiny than a matte finish, will give your figures more of an artificial look. For that reason, most of the paints aimed at miniature painting are formulated to be very matte. Reaper certainly is, I believe Army Painter is as well, and Vallejo is usually matte, though some of their paints can be on the satin side depending on what line they're from. On the other hand, GW and P3 paints can be a bit more on the satin side. You can certainly mix matte and satin paints, but there are 2 issues that you will come upon. 1. They may look a little different on the figure. 2. You may have difficulties achieving certain techniques, especially when it comes to blending. A matte paint may not like to layer or glaze over a satin finish and vice versa.

One of the ways that you can sort of get around that would be to use paints with like finishes on different areas without mixing the two. So, for instance, satin finish paints only on the skin and matte finish paints only on the cloth. Then you can make a judgement call from there on how it looks to decide whether you want to bring both finishes to matte with a matte sealer, or even bring them both to a satin finish with a satin sealer.

So you've got options as far as the paints that you've already purchased and like I said, they're your figures so you should use whatever finish you like. But, the general preference in the miniature painting world (and certainly speaking in competition terms) is generally a matte finish and since it's your intention to continue building a collection of Reaper paints, which are formulated to have a very matte finish, I think you would probably serve yourself best by purchasing craft paints with a matte finish where possible so they'll work a little better for you at filling in gaps in your paint collection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 points...

1. It's a good idea to seal a mini after painting with some sort of varnish.  They come in gloss, sating and matte, and will largely overrule the glossyness of your paints.

(acrylics tends to stay slightly sticky for a very long time... years even... so dust and grime will stick to them and ruin your paintjob. varnishes not only solves that but will also 'armor' the paint so that it's safer to handle. )

2. Reaper's HD paints are discontinued. If you plan to get the complete sets, it's better to get them now than to pay the scalpers later. 

3. We want pictures!  

The 'show off' section is there for a reason. The same with the WIP section.  And there's no such thing as too many pictures... 

4. Welcome to the insanity!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

4 points...

1. It's a good idea to seal a mini after painting with some sort of varnish.  They come in gloss, sating and matte, and will largely overrule the glossyness of your paints.

(acrylics tends to stay slightly sticky for a very long time... years even... so dust and grime will stick to them and ruin your paintjob. varnishes not only solves that but will also 'armor' the paint so that it's safer to handle. )

2. Reaper's HD paints are discontinued. If you plan to get the complete sets, it's better to get them now than to pay the scalpers later. 

3. We want pictures!  

The 'show off' section is there for a reason. The same with the WIP section.  And there's no such thing as too many pictures... 

4. Welcome to the insanity!  

WHAT, why are the HD paints discontinued? I just bought the first kit last week. Is there a problem with them?   Should I even bother with the rest of the kits?  I almost bought the big Army painter kit but I hate the way the paints separate. Im depressed :(

Edited by Miranda2

8 minutes ago, Miranda2 said:

WHAT, why are the HD paints discontinued? I just bought the first kit last week. Is there a problem with them?   Should I even bother with the rest of the kits?  I almost bought the big Army painter kit but I hate the way the paints separate. Im depressed :(

I do not know of any problems with the HD paints. But my impression is that Reaper had a hard time establishing a brand identity for the line and so its sales might not have met goals. The Bones line of paints has an associated brand identity already and it has a similar pigment density and consistency.

Note that I'm not a Reaper representative and have no inside knowledge, so take that as you will.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Miranda2 said:

The paints are fine, and are discontinued for reasons other than that. Kits aren't necessary for buying paints - can get them in many other forms. Reaper's MSP line has tons of good colors and comes in singles, triads, and I believe also kits. Fear not, there is still paint to use. :poke:

Again, not a Reaper Rep, just a paint user. 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I took out my satin paints and am using what mattes I have in the craft paint. My dh also said I could go ahead and order both Reaper kit 2 and 3 now. Im excited to get those in next week or so and will probably use the craft paint only when im desperate and need a color right away. I will get some pics up soon.Im not good at taking pics and my painting is mediocre as Im still a noob,

Edited by Miranda2

I've been painting 30 years and most of what I do is mediocre and I often feel my photography is letting me down. Don't sweat it. Just share what you can. What's great about this forum is there's room for all levels of painters and a ton of helpful people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, Cyradis said:

The paints are fine, and are discontinued for reasons other than that. Kits aren't necessary for buying paints - can get them in many other forms. Reaper's MSP line has tons of good colors and comes in singles, triads, and I believe also kits. Fear not, there is still paint to use. :poke:

Again, not a Reaper Rep, just a paint user. 

The HD sets were probably the best way to get a very solid color range of Reaper paints at a good price for people who don't care about triads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cmorse said:

The HD sets were probably the best way to get a very solid color range of Reaper paints at a good price for people who don't care about triads.

I guess they're good in sets, and they certainly are/were good paints. You don't have to care about the triads to enjoy the MSP colors though. Absolutely nothing is restricting you to that. I also checked - MSP comes in sets too. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I guess they're good in sets, and they certainly are/were good paints. You don't have to care about the triads to enjoy the MSP colors though. Absolutely nothing is restricting you to that. I also checked - MSP comes in sets too. 

HD set 1 for $35 online plus bottles of black and white was an easy recommend for someone starting out and interested in Reaper paint. Master Series Paints Core Colors Basics #1 for $185 is not. There is really no MPS set comparable to the hd sets. Master Series Paints: Starter Set for $30 is ok, but not as good as the HD set in price or contents (and also discontinued in it's current form due to it's HD paint). The new Bones paint sets selling at $17.60 for 6 paint make no sense for starter sets (I'm assuming they are meant to compliment the LTP kits) and also don't compare well to the prices you could find the HD sets at. Really, without the HD sets, Reaper doesn't have a starting place for paints that I'd recommend for people. I've recommended the HD sets numerous times.

• Like 1

I don't tend to even recommend sets to people; I recommend individual colors that I like. If you want to jump in with a set, great. Having the carrying case that goes with a set is handy, but not necessary. I would sooner recommend "get one of each basic color that seems pleasing to you; I like these X Y and Z" than a set for newbies in general, with the LTP kits as an exception. 

• Like 3

I'm of a similar thought pattern as Cyradis - I usually buy colours that interest me and/or add more to what I have already.  The main reason I went with kits from Reaper was the two LTPK's were reasonably priced, and let me get a good selection of paints from a manufacturer I'd never used before to try out..  And now they're my main paints, with a few handfuls from other companies to round things out. 

Would be nice if there were equivalent Bones packs for the paints with 18 in each, but I'm guessing there's also a business reason behind not doing such (my main guess would be its four case skus to manage and coax retailers into carrying  (3 sets of 18, one full set) plus then it technically competes with current kit offerings that are designed to give a foundation (LTPK's) as well as a sampling of various lines (starter set)). 

Also, I could have sworn it was mentioned at some point that the HD paints included in the starter set and LTPK's would continue to exist, but just be eventually ported over to the Bones line with Bones SKUs being assigned eventually. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Also, I could have sworn it was mentioned at some point that the HD paints included in the starter set and LTPK's would continue to exist, but just be eventually ported over to the Bones line with Bones SKUs being assigned eventually. 

This post/thread?

• Thanks 1