Sign in to follow this  
Fruggs

Newb Question about DnD..

Hello all maybe someone more knowledgeable can help me out.  I am trying to paint up some giants for potential use for DnD, 5th ed.  The Monster Manual   defines giants as huge. The Player's Handbook, which equates to a 3 inch by 3 inch area, which ( I think)is a 3 inch base. However, I bought a blind box of DnD figures, and it came with a giant.  The "official" giant is the same scale/ size as the Reaper Bones ones, but the "official" giant is on a 2 inch base.  so my question is which base is correct to use or are both correct and it just depends on personal preference?  Thanks.  

• Like 1

Yep, giants are all supposed to be huge this edition, so 3 inch base.

Did you buy a current blind box or something from an older edition? I'm not sure when, but apparently, giants didn't always all go onto a 3 inch base.

The newer Reaper ones are huge, as far as I know, and some even got remade to be huge, but someone more knowledgeable with the Reaper catalogue would have to answer which ones fit the bill. 

• Like 2

Older blind boxes (the ones not made by Wizkids) are for 3/3.5 edition & 4th of D&D. What giant is it?

If anything you can always just stick the 2 inch base onto a 3 inch base.

This site shows what is what when it comes to prepainted minis for rpgs:

http://www.minisgallery.com/dnd/index.html

Icons of the Realms are the official 5e prepainted minis.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nunae said:

Yep, giants are all supposed to be huge this edition, so 3 inch base.

Did you buy a current blind box or something from an older edition? I'm not sure when, but apparently, giants didn't always all go onto a 3 inch base.

I don't play 5th, and I largely ignored 4th, but I did buy some blind WoTC boxes during 4th, and there were still giants rated as Large. This whole all-giants-are-huge thing flew right under my radar. Weird. Seems kind of limiting. But to answer your question of when giants did not all always go on a 3 inch base, that would be the vast majority of the game's history.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bruunwald said:

I don't play 5th, and I largely ignored 4th, but I did buy some blind WoTC boxes during 4th, and there were still giants rated as Large. This whole all-giants-are-huge thing flew right under my radar. Weird. Seems kind of limiting. But to answer your question of when giants did not all always go on a 3 inch base, that would be the vast majority of the game's history.

3.5 giant sizes only the Cloud & Storm (the 2 most powerful of the common giants) were Huge sized, the rest were Large. (thou I recall it only being the Storm, but I recall both the old Ral Partha Cloud & Storm Giant minis being quite large in comparison to a normal human sized mini back in the day)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giant.htm

• Like 2

He is the Stone Giant Elder from the Tyranny of Dragons sets.  He is classified as Huge, but he's on a 2 inch base.. lol even wizkids doesn't know what size he's supposed to be lol... Thanks all y'all.:)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fruggs said:

He is the Stone Giant Elder from the Tyranny of Dragons sets.  He is classified as Huge, but he's on a 2 inch base.. lol even wizkids doesn't know what size he's supposed to be lol... Thanks all y'all.:)

Both Pathfinder & D&D suffer from either over-sized or undersized minis on base. Good example of this is the troll for Pathfinder's line. There are like 3 or 4 of them & each one of them are different sizes. I think the Scrag (aquatic troll) is about the only one that is appropriate to it's base.

• Like 2

The Tyranny series were the first modules for 5th Edition, and from what I heard the book itself was finished before the rules were finalized...

So it's entirely possible that the minis also had to be made before everything was finalized, so some scale was carried over from the older ones.

Looking around, it seems the Frost Giant from that assortment was also a Size Large base.

Nothing stops you from mounting it onto a bigger base. Its arms are definitely sprawled out enough that it wouldn't look undersized on one.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/06/05/how-come-giants-changed-size-in-5e-compared-to-3-4e/

http://dmdavid.com/tag/a-quick-look-at-the-tyranny-of-dragons-miniatures/#comment-149043

• Like 3

5e is less hung up on base sizes than some of the earlier editions. From the DMG:

If the miniature you use for a monster takes up an amount of space different from what's on the table, that's fine, but treat the monster as its official size for all other rules.  For example, you might use a miniature that has a Large base to represent a Huge giant. That giant takes up less space on the battlefield than its size suggests, but it is still Huge for the purposes of rules like grappling.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

5e is less hung up on base sizes than some of the earlier editions. From the DMG:

"Less hung up" is subjective. Some of us enjoy designing monsters/encounters from an increased tactical perspective. And that is also good, if that is the sort of game one is playing.

Note my careful language. This is how Edition Wars (TM) start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

While I'm not sure why the designers of 4E chose to do it this way, each type of giant came in at least two flavors.  There was a lower level version that was sized as "large" and a higher level version that was sized as "huge."  The huge versions were almost all epic level though so, unless you were in a group that liked playing past level 20, 4E giants went on 2" bases.

• Like 1

One of the reasons for the change is logistic - as miniatures switch from tin and lead to plastics, which makes it easier to make, paint, and handle the larger figures.

A Reaper example - the Fire Giant Jailer is a Huge figure.

Fire giants in Pathfinder are Large.

So, for the NPC giant I was painting it for I added the Jotunblood template from Advanced Bestiary - which increases the size, as well as giving special abilities.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Heh, this just made me realize.

Giants got upscaled for 5E to Huge...

But when they converted Against The Giants for 5e in Tales of the Yawning Portal... they didn't upscale the maps.

So all these 15ft-wide giants are squeezing about 10-foot corridors. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Heh, this just made me realize.

Giants got upscaled for 5E to Huge...

But when they converted Against The Giants for 5e in Tales of the Yawning Portal... they didn't upscale the maps.

So all these 15ft-wide giants are squeezing about 10-foot corridors. :lol:

Pretty sure that the halls used to be 20' to begin with - 10' per square being the standard, way back when, and the halls being two squares wide. (Which doesn't meant that WotC didn't neglect to update the scale, and just assumed 5' squares....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 3