Crowley

Crowley's fellow adventurers

On Wednesdays I’ve been playing in Storm King’s Thunder at my FLGS, and since I have lots of minis, I’ve basically been providing the minis for the game, including for my fellow players. However, in spite of how expansive my collection is, I don’t always have a perfect match… sometimes not even close to a good match.

This was the case for the party’s human warlock and bard. For the warlock, I was using an elven bladesinger, and the bard was a female elven bard, both from the Chainmail line. It was not a good fit for the rogue-like warlock, and my utter and total lack of male bards of any type was frankly astonishing.

The monk was okay (also from the chainmail line), but as an asamar, the skin was wrong, and the colors of everything else was off too.

So with my most recent order I selected some new minis.

14544: Ian, Ivy Crown Mage for the warlock

02500: Fergus the Weaver for the bard

After washing them and taking care of a bit of flash and moldlines (very minor in both cases) I mixed up some greenstuff and pressed out new bases to match the bases I’ve made for the rest of the party’s minis from the Ruined Courtyard stamp from Happy Seppuku. Once the greenstuff was cured I spray primed them black, and then got to painting.

IMG_20181020_162756.thumb.jpg.237de447ad0b405528ec732db367afe5.jpg

I’m still blocking in colors, and checking with my fellow players to make sure they match what they picture in their minds. I used Tanned Flesh for the warlock and and bard’s skin, and NMM Gold for the monk’s skin. Beyond that I’m not really sure what to do for the monk… Waiting on feedback.

_20181021_222228.thumb.JPG.431fabba68daaf47a506ef94f677707d.JPG

For the warlock, I’m painting the tunic in blue, and I’m thinking about trying to give the impression of raven’s feathers for the mantle. The yellow accents will give a nice contrast to the otherwise black/blue/purple colors that’ll make up his pallet.

The bard I’m less clear on how to paint him up. So far I’m going with a bright red tunic with some yellow/gold trim. We’ll see what feedback I get from the player going forward.

More to come!

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 16

Totally get where you are coming from in terms of tons of minis & lack of certain types. In my Monday AL games, one of my players decided to make a half-orc bard. Errrr ok. I didn't have anything on hand (I always bring a large assortment of prepainted "class" minis with me). The next week I went with Fergus the Weaver, but he's human but he's a bard. Last week thou, I decided on a prepainted half-orc with a club raised over his head.  It fits but it's not perfect. 

Awesome job on all 3 of the figures. Amazing, that you can get painted figures up in time for your games. I've tried & I don't get even half-way with the figures. My weekly game is a far cry from my Rcon games, that's for sure. :upside:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@haldir I'm not sure these three will get any more paint before game, so fully painted is a stretch. Maybe for next week? 

So far only have heard back from the monk's player. 

• Like 3

I am so going to have to get that ruined courtyard stamp, I love it!  (and the temple one, I must one that one too). 

You're an awesome DM for doing stuff like this! ^_^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I am so going to have to get that ruined courtyard stamp, I love it!  (and the temple one, I must one that one too). 

You're an awesome DM for doing stuff like this! ^_^

I'm not the DM! :lol::blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I'm not the DM! :lol::blink:

Oops, my bad. 

Then you're a super mega awesome hamster of doom (tm) and should be thanked even more by the players with bountiful gifts, such as delicious cheeses, and of course, what seems like the forum's favourite food bacon, quite possibly prepped on a teppan grill right in front of you to fully enjoy the bacon nomming experience. 

... As in they give you such gifts...  Some days I need to double check how I mwriting things and that they could be misread. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

_20181028_211911.JPG

Little bit more work tonight. I brought up the skin tone with Tanned Highlight, realized the sword hand of the warlock was a glove, so painted that over. The sword and flame got a mix of nightmare black and eldrich purple. The mantle got an attempt to hint at raven's feathers, but pretty sure that failed. 

For the bard I added some stripes on his paints, cleaned up the red/yellow divide, and added a red stripe on the sleeve. Also painted his armor and weapons with Blade Steel and Cursed Gold. His hair was brought up with a mix of Dirty Bone and Earth Brown, washed with a heavy sepia wash.

I drybrushed both bases with Dungeon Grey, Stone Grey, and then a heavy sepia/stone grey mix. 

• Like 12