12 hours ago, MojoBob said:

One option might be to get the disc, complete with outline and lettering, produced by a stamp manufacturer. Then you can transfer your owl sculpting to that to make a composite master.

Good idea.  TaleSpinner, I just PM'ed you a link to one such manufacturer that offers a discount to those who use their stamps as foundry patterns.  

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GHarris said:

New life goal: Become cool enough to be worthy of being able to call Talespinner "Peeps"

My wife spent six months in college studying in Athens. She got Athena's owl from the old Greek coin tattooed on her ankle to commemorate going. I do see a little bit of a resemblance. I agree that this may be a case of great minds thinking alike!

I was Peeps long before becoming TaleSpinner. There are still corners of Northern WI where that is how I am hailed by old friends.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Kang said:

Good idea.  TaleSpinner, I just PM'ed you a link to one such manufacturer that offers a discount to those who use their stamps as foundry patterns.  

Kang

No PMs came through.

So as is probably evident by now, I decided to go with his name rather than Peeps Woodcraft, after a long discussion with my brother.

So I laid down 3 areas of GS:Apoxie sculpt, allowed them to cure, sanded them smooth, and drew the letters on them:

IMG_E3828.JPG.070392cb30788760c4ebfe33dde5421f.JPG

Then I began carving the letters using mostly my scalpel.  

I slipped and broke the R off.

IMG_E3830.JPG.5ef7b107d88b3ebe2bddb283e36213bd.JPG

I slipped and broke both the G and the E. Thankfully, I realized just in the nick of time that these needed next year's date, not this year.

IMG_E3832.JPG.c3461af65f81cbfb51d9b2fa7f9e5769.JPG

I called my brother and asked him if he thought Dad might consider changing his name to Rald Piepe.  He didn't think so, but we both felt it had a nice ring to it.  Anyway, I repeated the process for the G, E, and R and finished it.

IMG_E3836.JPG.69b2e4d50d9e4b6c1551405cd8de3e94.JPG

After all this I cleaned things up a bit more, added some texture to the background, forgot to take a picture, and then preped it and molded it.  It is currently sitting in a block of mold rubber waiting for me to cut it free tonight.

I think I might just start calling my dad Rald Piepe. :poke:

As an after thought, text sucks!  That text is an approximation of 7 pt. Arial.  It took hours of patient chipping away at it to get it to this state.  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

As an after thought, text sucks!  That text is an approximation of 7 pt. Arial.  It took hours of patient chipping away at it to get it to this state.  

Looking good!

By putting the year in there, though, does this mean you'll have to do a new one for him every year now? 

As for the text (in case you ever do another one like this) - would it be easier to do the text first as a reversed negative push mold, then use the mold to make a copy you put the design on?
(does that make sense? I can see what I'm talking about in my head, but I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

By putting the year in there, though, does this mean you'll have to do a new one for him every year now? 

Yep, but since my casting process only makes 20 or so at a time, that is about a year's worth; I figure he'll need a new batch each year.  I can take a master cast, grind the last 2 digits off next year, sculpt on the new digits, remold it, and make new casts.  It can become his yearly gift.

As for the text (in case you ever do another one like this) - would it be easier to do the text first as a reversed negative push mold, then use the mold to make a copy you put the design on?
(does that make sense? I can see what I'm talking about in my head, but I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well)

Maybe, I'm not really sure.  I'd have to think about it.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 4:21 AM, Cicciopiu said:

very nice! it looks like the 1€ coin from Greece ^_^

1.jpg

The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title was the ancient Athenian coin:

250px-Tetradrachm_Athens_480-420BC_MBA_L

A Tetradrachma ^ from about ~2400 years ago. 

There is a long history of Owl Coins @TaleSpinner a long and ancient history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Rald Piepe"

This may be a name for a future RCON character pregen. ::):

Lovely work!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, haldir said:

"Rald Piepe"

This may be a name for a future RCON character pregen. ::):

Lovely work!

He needs to have an owl for a pet! 

Heck, I can even give you a bronze coin token for him, with the year on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I cut the mold and cast a few.  It took me a while to get the pressure dialed in right on these so that the words all filled.  Then, after casting these six, they suddenly stopped filling right.  I don't really know why, but it has happened to me before.  I suspect that the mold gets too warm and needs to cool down.  I'll try again tonight.

IMG_E3851.JPG.30970f3a8f9721bf85c96e253446e07d.JPGIMG_E3852.JPG.d3c0a8513564d2627af66d097932fc5b.JPG

• Like 12

Heh.  My Dad is a 'Rald too.

7pt!  I can barely even read text that small without my readers on.  Great job.  Waxes look great; the finished pieces ought to go over really well.

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 1

I got the tree made.  I'm not certain if I will have time to cast this weekend as I have a birthday party to attend on Saturday, so I'd have to do this on Sunday, but can't be certain I'll be home all that day either. I might just have to put this under glass for a week or two.

IMG_E3871.JPG.563764356ce674fb2c0f604ae5afacaa.JPG

• Like 12