WhiteWulfe

WhiteWulfe Attemps the Seven Day Goblin Challenge - Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition!

1 hour ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Good Luck, I can't wait to see how this goes.

Are you sure 2 kcups will be enough????

I kind of can't wait either!

Two kcups being sufficient...  Per mug maybe! :devil:

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Go for it!

Many thanks for the encouragement!

~~~~~

Okay, so I'm about two hours in or so now, time for a quick break to post an update...  After the first hour, the dragon's mold lines were mostly removed (I say mostly because one always misses a few), and the superglue came out.  That's right, I'm going with what will probably be the harder route by most peoples' opinions, but I greatly prefer not having to worry about gaps later on, so I'll deal with such a problem.  Hoping it doesn't bite me due to the size of this dragon.  Time shall tell.  The hour after that was removing mold lines on the terrain.  Current gameplan is to paint the dragon while it's on the terrain as much as possible, to prevent rubbing off issues.

P1010374.thumb.JPG.fa18c61877fedf2cf67a2af12df92ab3.JPG

^ Dragon isn't glued down to that terrain, I just put him there because it tidies things up on my desk slightly, and of course provides a nice place to let the glue set and take hold...  Bond if one wants to use a correct word, I suppose ::P:  The two parts of the top half of the tower have also been glued together, even after not being all that cooperative...  But thankfully, they were coerced into place!

P1010375.thumb.JPG.d8ad23a01f5fa562f87798cf2447d23d.JPGP1010376.thumb.JPG.c0b382faea9e60870ea8e2788f0e0b67.JPGP1010377.thumb.JPG.3c91ee98d682069bef360f7e6cabc5e8.JPG

^I'm going to let the glue go somewhat longer before pulling out the greenstuff, but here's how the various gaps are looking..  Some of the wing ones are rather hefty, but that's life.  Nowhere near as bad as some of the ones on Ebonwrath were, let alone the various ones (that I created!) on Wyrmgear!

Anyways..  Back to it!

Heroes are next, because they also need mold lines trimmed, as one might expect ^_^

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

You've got this. The key is not to fight the madness, but be fueled by the madness...

(I haven't tried one of these challenges myself yet, but the above method seems logical)

Mmmm, madness fuel, coming to a convenience store near you soon!  I like the sound of that, using one's own insanity to keep going.  Hey, genius has it's limits, after all, and I'm no genius. ^_^

~~~~~

Taking a short break to stretch, and of course get a bit more food in me, so figured why not show where things are.  Kind of glad that I took @Sylverthorne's advice and started in the morning, because there's no way I would have gotten everything done in just the few hours I had Friday night, doubly so since tiredness hit early, and hit hard.

Paint used: Grey Liner

P1010378.thumb.JPG.756fb429ba4f2a2f6ece6abd0a2c9ab1.JPG

^Overall status of the desk (the larger stairs part is out of frame, on the right).  Dragon appears to be all "Rawwrrrr, dance for me, my minion-puppets!" or something.  At least with being back there anyways.

P1010379.thumb.JPG.be796f10d19aaafabff969ece337a29d.JPGP1010380.thumb.JPG.b2fff894a7d0babe53ccd5f3ce13fba4.JPG

^Terrain that's seen grey liner so far.  Ran out of paint in my palette, and stomach was all "GRAWWWWR, FEEED ME!" so I was like "okay, lower half of tower can wait for now, let's get food and a forum post going"

P1010381.thumb.JPG.a8374068929bb6fd90e0511e938708b9.JPGP1010384.thumb.JPG.74cee24c241b0f3b1615eee4b8b9421e.JPGP1010382.thumb.JPG.5867d58d6da560cbc0f4c92f02dc2c7f.JPGP1010383.thumb.JPG.3a154cfcf34e613f02bd03d23f64421d.JPGP1010385.thumb.JPG.5bba49e7e5cc26ec6337c4cfcb68a6b5.JPG

^All five heroes too about an hour and ten minutes, as a frame of reference.  That and it's a LOT easier to spot any mold lines you've missed, as well as basic prep for shadows ^_^

Now, some of you may think this is a bit of a diversion from my initial plan, and... It is.  Funny how a fresh exacto blade digging into your thumb will affect your plans.  Aka I'm letting it heal for a bit longer (with the "aid" of a light covering of superglue to keep it held shut) before I start doing greenstuff work, so terrain wound up happening before dragon's gap filling.  Such is life.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Hooray! Another victi- ahh... challenger! You can do this. I have faith. ^^

*snerks* If by victim, you mean grey liner trying to slowly soak your soul... Sure! :P

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

You can do it! I totally believe in you! ::D:

Many thanks!

27 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Excellent...

Kind of surprised that Glitterwolf didn't go for that, so whoooo!  Yes, it is definitely an interesting, and fun challenge, that's for sure!

~~~~~

I'm strongly suspecting this challenge may finally be the death of my first bottle of grey liner...  Because a bunch of other things didn't kill it off, and now there's a noticeable air bubble in it (aka I have to wait a moment before it'll pour paint!).  Oh well, that's why I have another one sitting on the desk ready to go, right! ^_^

Still just grey liner for paint, hoping to break something else out at some point tonight, since the lower half of the tower is coated, as are the small part of the stairs, and the larger part will be in just a bit.  Would have had more progress, but apparently a pipe burst downstairs, and so I wound up dealing with a plumber checking out my suite for a little while as well, but...  I strongly suspect I'll be able to make my main goal for today, which is everything except the dragon and top half of the tower linered (since those two parts will be getting greenstuff soon), and then quite possibly some of the initial blocking in of a colour or two for the heroes...

P1010386.thumb.JPG.24eb6546e3733c310220f70de17be049.JPGP1010387.thumb.JPG.673c49a1245467ff23a1a6a0392a48c1.JPG

Since I'm waiting on the coffee pot, I figure I'd make mention of what plans may be for the heroes...  Given the whole playful nature of where I'm going with this idea, obviously colours are going to be somewhat "goth" and/or "punk", which doesn't really say much, simply because of the fact that a LOT can be classified as such colourwise!  So instead, a few basic thoughts I've had over the past little bit...

The dwarf (Barden Barrelstrap apparently) - black/grey/dark blue

The elf (Arathanel apparently) - black/grey/NEON GREEN (or a bright green of sorts)
the human (Sir Rathan Kranzhel) - black and purple, maybe some grey

the sorceress (Andriessa) - red, with black accents

The Rogue/Thief (Lanelle) - In actual proper leathers and semi-subdued colours.  Why?  She's the only one NOT WEARING A CAPE.

That's right.  I'm fitting in playful misinterpretations of goths as LARPers, alongside the one person that actually realizes that the dragon "dj" is...  ...Yes, I said dj! ::P:....  An actual dragon.  Aka she seems the most "sensibly" dressed out of all of them for an actual fight.  No, I'm not playing favourites!  Oh, and yes, obligatory Incredibles Edna reference too.

Yes, I was tempted to try and sculpt the dragon a pair of turntables and some headphones, but...  There's enough on the plate for a seven day challenge.  Silly shenanigans can come later on.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Decided to try something out before going on to greenstuff (because supper was cooking), and...  With some things it was a good result, others...  Not quite so much.

Paint used: Secret Weapon Stone Wash

P1010388.thumb.JPG.478902ea54f8a5e77683dbbcc5c72758.JPGP1010389.thumb.JPG.43c783dceeb7ee4a84bea26af1fafb28.JPG

Small steps were the first ones to receive the wash, and I was somewhat... Liberal with it, as you can tell by it's now fairly greenish tone.  Oops.  Went a lot more sparingly on the larger part of the stairs, and my first thoughts were "YAAAAAY IT ISN'T GREY ANYMORE!!" followed by "this is going to require a decent bit more work, but at least I now know why my washes always seem to come out so darn dark on... everything"

Supper has been consumed, that wash stuff is done (on those two pieces, still have the tower base but eh for now), which means on to greenstuffing gaps!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Go go go! You can do it!

One thing I found helpful was to keep a firm estimate of the time remaining, and leave myself plenty of margin. Otherwise, I'll just warn you that the central tower has way more surface area than you think. I also found it helpful to paint in the hangout, but YMMV.

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, fectin said:

Go go go! You can do it!

One thing I found helpful was to keep a firm estimate of the time remaining, and leave myself plenty of margin. Otherwise, I'll just warn you that the central tower has way more surface area than you think. I also found it helpful to paint in the hangout, but YMMV.

Good luck!

Oh, I suspect that central tower has a lot of surface area, given that it's taken soooooo long to just get coated in grey liner!  What probably really jumps at one is the fact that it's two pieces, and there are areas that very much so have to be painted that some might, uhm, skip over...

~~~~~

Oh, hey look, there's a bit of colour coming into the mix now....

Paints used: 9135 Carnage Red, 29815 Dragon Blue

P1010397.thumb.JPG.9e2f3e233fd18b60032ddd3cfe3a50b8.JPGP1010398.thumb.JPG.519cd60e922fd852872c11a3ebc47e11.JPG

^Hopefully that'll cover up the gap more than enough.  Not my best gap filling, but eh.  It's what one does when they're trying to be utilitarian about it ~_^

P1010399.thumb.JPG.fd0d54f330716e19a4d65ffe3f4e02c0.JPGP1010400.thumb.JPG.22f251a633de2319ce3471cafc175006.JPGP1010401.thumb.JPG.12a3f5e8a261099654a40dea0be68327.JPG

^Mister (dj?) Dragon (who's going to eventually need a name), now with gaps filled!

P1010390.thumb.JPG.18f73a81d719023e830e72ebb8b9b176.JPGP1010391.thumb.JPG.8a7e8f606a2eaaebb138f3b841dc7ac6.JPGP1010392.thumb.JPG.904b6bb7e03d5497a80747b3e672b6c4.JPG

^Sorceress gets her initial bits of red... stuff...  Of course, on the cloak/cape/dress, because, well, sure, why not I suppose!  I'm tired, my eyes are trying to bug out because I've demanded a LOT from them over the past 13 hours (err, 14 actually), and haven't really taken that many breaks during the course of this day.

P1010393.thumb.JPG.1e5a213166858ca21e0c745f83255371.JPGP1010394.thumb.JPG.fab30a749330e6e4d98fda9676eca57c.JPGP1010395.thumb.JPG.007f9fe72322856f28bc74ddf4c786a4.JPG

^I'm thinking I might not be using my Dragon Blue during this challenge.  Something seems to be up with it, since it sort of semi-glorped out when poured, and it didn't quite want to spread evenly.  I'll have to look further into it, but I'll probably just grab one of my other paints.  That and it's the wrong shade of blue anyways, for what I'm contemplating.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Seems like you've got a strong start on it so far.

Your difficulties with the Dragon Blue are very similar to what I went through with a bottle of Stormy Gray not too long ago. It took a ridiculous amount of shaking to get it close to normal, but it was also down to the last of the bottle and was I think the first bottle of it I'd gotten which meant it was about 3 years old at time of death. 

• Like 3