Zink

Apoxie sculpt questions

Thinking of buying some of this and hand some questions mainly about storage. Is it still usable if it's been frozen? Winter's hitting and there's a chance of it freezing before I get it. Is there anything special I should do to preserve it? For example I've read that freezing greenstuff helps it keep longer. I don't do a lot of sculpting, mainly crack filling but want to do more. I've had issues in the past with whatever putty I was using getting old and hard to use in between times. I think a pound of this will keep me going for a long time and maybe give me some incentive to try sculpting some things again. Any other issues that a new user should be aware of specific to apoxie sculpt?

• Like 1

Can't answer the freezing bit, but I can give a few pointers about ordering it in Canada... 

- Sculpture Supply Canada seems to be the only one that carries it online, if you ignore the massively inflated prices on Amazon Canada. They have an annoying ancient way of doing things, where you give what you want in a cart (aka send the order through), they email you with what shipping and total cost will be, you confirm, they send PayPal invoice, and you pay it.  If I remember correctly it was around $20 to ship the 1lb set, and they shipped it via CanadaPost... Yup, $19.95 back in March. 

- if you use water as the barrier between your skin and it to prevent sticking, it makes an annoying grey slurry mess - this does not happen if you use vaseline, beeswax, etc. (I use GreenStuffWorld's sculpting vaseline myself) 

Oh, apparently I only had the one pointer related to order in Canada, but still. 

@TaleSpinner would be able to say more specifically regarding sculpting with it. 

• Like 1

On Amazon and ebay it seems to go about $50/pound with shipping. I was looking at Sculpture Supply Canada because it was much cheaper there but couldn't find any shippping info. They also carry some resin casting supplies that I sometimes use but not sure if I need a restock in that yet. Don't do much resin casting anymore. Looking at laying in hobby supplies for the winter right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zink said:

On Amazon and ebay it seems to go about $50/pound with shipping. I was looking at Sculpture Supply Canada because it was much cheaper there but couldn't find any shippping info. They also carry some resin casting supplies that I sometimes use but not sure if I need a restock in that yet. Don't do much resin casting anymore. Looking at laying in hobby supplies for the winter right now.

Ah, good to see price has gone down somewhat on Amazon... It used to be around $75 with shipping for some reason.. ($50+$25 shipping on average) 

Sculpture Supply got back to me in fairly short order, whole process took less than a day.  I wrote things slightly wrong.  Their reply email has a PDF quote, and you then click a link to either confirm or decline, confirming brings you to payment methods. 

Or you could call them, if one prefers doing things that way ^_^

• Like 1

I store the putty that I am using in an old flip top Altoids gum tin. It is a bit deeper than the mints tin, I just stick the putty to the underside of the lid so I can easily get to it when I am sculpting vs trying to dig it out of the bottom. I actually keep the tin in the freezer with the rest of my epoxies when I am not using it, putty warms up to a workable state fairly quickly. The epoxy that I have in long term storage is all kept in the original tubes and containers that they came in, as the epoxy in my tin runs low I just add more from the freezer.

I actually don't freeze my Apoxie Sculpt, but I don't see the harm in doing so. I've found that Apoxie Sculpt is still fine for what I am doing even after sitting in its container for a year or two, one part might get a brownish film over time but I usually don't notice a difference in workability. Then again I usually blend it into green stuff, I haven't made a sculpture in straight Apoxie Sculpt in nearly a decade. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GHarris said:

I store the putty that I am using in an old flip top Altoids gum tin. It is a bit deeper than the mints tin, I just stick the putty to the underside of the lid so I can easily get to it when I am sculpting vs trying to dig it out of the bottom. I actually keep the tin in the freezer with the rest of my epoxies when I am not using it, putty warms up to a workable state fairly quickly. The epoxy that I have in long term storage is all kept in the original tubes and containers that they came in, as the epoxy in my tin runs low I just add more from the freezer.

I actually don't freeze my Apoxie Sculpt, but I don't see the harm in doing so. I've found that Apoxie Sculpt is still fine for what I am doing even after sitting in its container for a year or two, one part might get a brownish film over time but I usually don't notice a difference in workability. Then again I usually blend it into green stuff, I haven't made a sculpture in straight Apoxie Sculpt in nearly a decade. 

Excellent advice this. Good idea on sticking it to the lid; I feel foolish for not thinking of it.  I'm totally doing that on my next restock.

I too have notice that the Apoxie doesn't seem to age like the GS does.  I may stop freezing it too.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice everyone. Since freezing doesn't hurt it I'm holding off a bit on ordering the apoxie sculpt. Just ordered a lot of other odds and ends for painting and sculpting. Next round of orders will be the apoxie sculpt and some greenstuff. 

• Like 1