Glitterwolf

Getting To Know Each Other, November 2018

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Weekend Challenge Nov. 16 - Nov. 18.

Bake something and show it / share the recipe.

Bonus Question : What is your most hilarious kitchen accident or cooking failure?

I might bake some bread, but that's probably about it.  Baking will be something that starts up again soon in our house though, since we're slowly figuring out how and where we can have more countertop space...  Silly 1960's apartment kitchens having virtually no room in them! 

As for a cooking fail... It was winter I whipped up my own variant of pasta sauce and it was sooooo tasty.  About halfway through eating it, one developed this really nice warmth (doubly nice because it was like -30C outside)...  No idea how I did it, and I've never been able to repeat it again without it being too spicy, or too bland... 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Bonus Question : What is your most hilarious kitchen accident or cooking failure?

I might bake an egg casserole this weekend.  There won't be any pictures of it though.  I make no claims to this being the correct way to do things, this is just a record of how I do things.

Recipe:

12 eggs

1 red or yellow onion

2-5 jalapenos

4-8 oz mushrooms

~1 lb of ground beef/turkey/pork or use some precooked meat so you can skip the "brown the meat" phase

8 oz of shredded cheese (I usually use sharp cheddar or pepper jack)

cayenne pepper

black pepper

seasoned salt

cumin

paprika

Steps:

1. Brown the meat.  Add, like, 2-3 teaspoons of cayenne pepper.  Sprinkle black pepper, seasoned salt, cumin, and paprika to taste.  Drain fat.

2. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C for you non-freedom unit users)

3. Break eggs into a large bowl and whisk the hell out of them.

4. Chop onion, jalapenos, and mushrooms; add to bowl of eggs and mix together.

5. Add meat to bowl of eggs and veggies and mix together.

6. Pour whole bowl into 9x13 casserole dish.

7. Sprinkle on shredded cheese, and a little extra of any of the spices if you want.

8. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Makes 12 (~200 calorie) squares that are great for grab and go breakfasts.  30 sec in the microwave to reheat.  May be mildly spicy to some people. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'll get back to you on the baking ...

As to the bonus question, not my fail, but sugar cookies where the amounts of salt and sugar were swapped. I discovered this because my cousin who make it left the plate of cookies sitting out... And I ate one. Well, I took a bite of one. :zombie:

• Like 5

Barring a set of unusual and unique circumstances, a I doubt any baking shall occur this weekend.

As to this bonus question, as someone who's worked in back of house in resturants I can claim several cooking failures, but the only one that qualifies as hilarious would be the Albino Bagettes which would later on become my signature style. 

During my first attempts at learning the oven position at the bakery, I fell into the habit of forgetting to properly vent the deck oven which meant that the color that was supposed to appear on the breads never did so in any way, let alone the "artesan" burned cinder type of color the owner had fallen in love with. (even when I did remember to vent, my natural assumption that bread ought to be a pleasing golden brown, not a charred husk that required an arson investigator to properly identify, was treated as heresy.)

Anyway, the batch of bagettes this first happened to were for in store sale so at least we didn't have angry customers yelling at us about them. The walk in customers didn't seem to mind the difference and so life went along it's usual marginally dysfunctional way at the bakery. But the manager's habit of foisting as much work on me as possible before I even knew what I was doing and the War of the Brioche were enough of a distraction that the Albino Bread was becoming an almost regular thing as since we did bagettes towards the end of shift my brain was overloaded to the point that the vent may as well not exist. 

The hilarity ensued the day that I unconciously did this to the "Murph Bread". Which requires a bit of background.The owner was a swell guy, but was in some ways completely impervious to logic. The Murph Bread was a recipe of his own design that somehow managed to utilize the most expensive and pain in the elf to use ingredients in a table bread that was given out for free with the dinner. The organic flour, a strict requirement of Murph Bread, alone meant that each one of these was costing us a shameful amount of money to produce, and was really only required so that Murph could brag about it to his friends. (required or not we switched it to regular flour as often as we could get away with and no one ever noticed, also it became easier to shape) He also insisted for awhile on baking it himself, which didn't last long but did mean one would show up to work to find the deck oven's temperature dialed up as far as it could go so if you weren't careful you'd incinerate anything you loaded into it. As a result the poor misbegotten things were coming out in colors ranging from Pure Black to Dark Highlight, a look that Murph declared "rustic".

Well on the night in question my usual level of frustration was running high and Chef Cave Troll had taken over more of the table than he needed to even though he damn well knew we needed the space for an obscene amount of ciabatta that had been ordered...so not wanting to have to wait for the oven to cool I set it at the regular 500 instead of 7 or 800 and once again forgot about venting until after the timer had gone off. So when the Murph Bread came out it was close to Linen White in color, and not in any way burned. BakeMaster Tino got a chuckle out of this, cut one open and sampled it, stated that since the inside was fully cooked, we'd have to sent it out to the tables as we didn't have the time to make more. He further stated that this was the best "Murph Bread" he'd ever had. (possibly because between us substituting almost all of Murph's chosen ingredients, and my decidedly "not rustic" style of baking it it was no longer Murph Bread at all, but PhilBread)

The customers resoundingly agreed with BakeMaster Tino, several attempting to purchase a loaf of it. When Murph finally sauntered in he found quite a few people complementing him on the "new Murph Bread". I imagine he must have felt a combination of horror and sorrow when presented with a sample of it as the realization kicked in that not only was it tasty, not only did the customers love it, but it was a direct rebellion against his philosophies of bread. He took it quite well actually (it may not sound like it but I really did like Murph, how could you not it was like working for the Dude from the  Big Lebowski) and  laughed along when he overheard me crowing on about the superiority of "PhilBread" to everyone in range of my voice. From that day on though, I was banned from ever baking the Murph Bread again, that now fell on the manager Richard. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have to tell my wife's first, because hers is sort of linked to mine: 

She has this recipe for some sort of egg/potato casserole quiche thing. The recipe calls for evaporated milk.   The first time she made it though, she didn't realize that there was a difference between evaporated and condensed milk, and she used the latter.   The first bite was pretty decent, but as we took each bite, it became sweeter and sweeter, until finally we couldn't eat another bite.   The conversation after dinner was something like:
Her: "Well, that was horrible"

Me: "I wouldn't say horrible, but definitely different." 
Her: "I'm not making that again."
Me (looking at the recipe card and the can in the trash): "Babe, did you use this condensed milk in the recipe?"

Her: "Yes, that's what it called for."

I explained the difference, we had a good laugh and she tried the recipe again a couple weeks later, this time with the correct evaporated milk.  MUCH BETTER, and it became a staple of her cooking for a few years.   But it became a running joke between us that I would always double check if it was made with evaporated or condensed milk before I would take a bite. 

So a few years later, on one of my nights to be in charge of dinner, I decided to take an easy way out, and throw something in the crockpot.  All I had available was chicken, and I didn't feel like using any of my go to sauces for the chicken.  So I experimented, trying for some sort of sweet and sour chicken, threw a can of pineapple chunks (juice and all) in the crock pot with my chicken and other ingredients.   And after a day full of cooking (which smelled pretty good), what we ended up with was a crock put full of slime.  In hindsight, this is what I get for trying to create recipes on the fly at 7am. 

So now, anytime I cook chicken, or use the crockpot, she asks if I used pineapple, or she'll do things like put post its saying "do not use" on any cans of pineapple chunks we have. 

At some point, we're going to have to find or create a recipe that uses both condensed milk and pineapple chunks. 

• Haha 9

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I won't be making anything this weekend, but I'll be busy cooking next week (US Thanksgiving) and the week after (Friendsgiving)! 

Hmmm. I would say probably the first time using a blender. I didn't know you were supposed to hold the top down. 

There was so much to clean....

laughs/sobs

I still hate the blender and it's been at least 5 years.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Have you ever considered serving soup inside of bread or inside a small pumpkin?

This is a thing you know...

We are strongly considering a hearty stew in breadbowls for our Friendsgiving/D&D session in two weeks. This is high fantasy, we got some good tavern food, dang it! 

Which reminds me - would something like this, even though it would not be engraved or character related, still read as thoughtful gifts for the group? They would get to keep it after the Friendsgiving session. It's a 16 oz (0.5 L) stainless steel tankard. Or copper.... hmmm...

image.png.c658229eb9ada960fc380582cb4f8588.pngimage.png.cf3dca6e4ce9fc86a573d52e8b14c560.png

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 9

By coincidence I got butter out this morning for cookies.  I have 3 requirements for cookie making. 

1. the recipes uses only 1 stick of butter. Have you seen the price of butter lately?

2. the method is super easy, no rolling, cutting, pre-freezing, decorating, or other time consuming complications

3. the ingredient list is short; flour, butter, sugar, eggs, and nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips.  I'm not chasing down pricey ingredients all over town. 

Today's winners are: 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gingersnaps-recipe-1963346

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/oatmeal-raisin-cookies/238adb0d-af3e-4abf-a131-060eeff34d10

https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/146208/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies  I had half a cup of pecans to this recipe

This evening I am making two dishes to take to game night:

https://www.kimscravings.com/turkey-cranberry-sliders/   sauce on the side

https://site.jiffymix.com/spoon-bread-casserole/   with cheddar and green onions

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Have you ever considered serving soup inside of bread or inside a small pumpkin?

This is a thing you know...

I have had soup in a bread bowl and it is awesome. I have not made bread for doing so though. Got a recipe for soupy bread? ::P:

• Like 5

You need a firm chewy bread. Can't use just any bread with soup. Some bread is ruined. Some becomes even more..... souper. SUPER SOUPER. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

You need a firm chewy bread. Can't use just any bread with soup. Some bread is ruined. Some becomes even more..... souper. SUPER SOUPER. 

*Sigh*

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Also: I now need a baked soup. For reasons. 

Challenge accepted. I don't yet know how, but I will do this. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Keianna said:
10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Challenge accepted. I don't yet know how, but I will do this. 

The work cafeteria managed this well enough yesterday :zombie:

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Time permitting, I expect to bake an apple pie next week, but probably not before Wednesday evening. (Well, dough Tuesday, pie Wednesday)

I don't think baking will be in the cards in the next two days, but you never know.

11 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Not strictly a baked soup, but if you have some heat-tolerant crocks, you could try making french onion soup, and then firing up the broiler to melt/brown the cheese & crouton on top. (I'd offer to loan you our crocks, but I don't think you live anywhere close to me.)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 6