Glitterwolf

Getting To Know Each Other, November 2018

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

Probably my computer, having an internet connection is just too much of a necessity these days.

I know I was probably meant to talk about some priceless family heirloom, but the various mementos I have have little to no monetary value anyways.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Probably my computer, having an internet connection is just too much of a necessity these days.

I know I was probably meant to talk about some priceless family heirloom, but the various mementos I have have little to no monetary value anyways.

Not necessarily, what's important to someone is very personal after all.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

Pretty near everything, I'm pretty sentimental about most of my stuff. It was a big deal that I even buylisted two of my Magic cards that I have copies of last week.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Original artwork by Paul Kidby, given to me as an anniversary present.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Off hand I can't think of anything I have that anyone would buy.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

None of the things that matter the me the most have any real value.  Things like the ceramic pot my sister made for me in junior high, or the drawings my daughter has given me, or the photo albums full of pictures I took while in the Navy.   

Everything else is negotiable, but there are things I would sell last, such as my wedding ring. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't say unless I was in that position. Like others, I haven't anything of real value, and most of what we have nobody would want.  I've been in bad situations, and it's surprising how worthless something is once you leave the store with it. Selling stuff for a fraction of its price, only to have to replace it at full cost later is futile.  Just for the sake of an answer, I'd say I would not part with my fabric, books, patterns and sewing supplies, (machines excluded) because it took 25 years to collect and would take another 25 years to replace.  And the car, because in this town you need one to get to work. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

My mini painting supplies.  No matter how bad things get, you need to have some way to relax.  You can't live all the time at maximum stress, or at least not for a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Lazy expensive bums... But I couldn't do it...

IMG_20181104_113828.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

My collection of all that I own. If my personal situation ever got to the point of my needing to sell my treasures, I'd probably start building a funerary crypt for the stuff. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I like this question, but I'm not sure what my answer is. I have lots of sentimental attachments to objects, but I don't know which ones would fall under the never, ever category.

I'll think on it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The first acoustic guitar I owned.  To be fair, I already sold it once to a pawn shop to purchase a Canon F-1 in the early 90s.  No big deal for me at the time.  Good money for an item I didn't play very much.  My girlfriend (future Bride) thought differently about the guitar.  She bought it back and held onto it until my birthday.  At the student center we went to, we would often have outside groups provide meals.  My roommate said that a group from his hometown was coming and that it was going to be a good friend of his birthday.  He placed a refrigerator box in the middle of the common area of the student center and asked everyone to sign it.  I signed it three times as different people (One from me, one from Gomer Pyle and one from someone else... don't remember).  The group showed up, but the surprise was on me.  The refrigerator box I had signed was for me and inside was my acoustic guitar.  It's not a great guitar, I mean, I originally bought it used.  It is a Cortez (and I've never heard of Cortez guitars) with inlaid fingerboard.  But it is mine and has memories and I'll never sell it again.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Soup:

I got sick and spent most of the weekend sleeping.  That said, I did manage to make the most amazing Vegetable, Beef, Barley soup I have ever had the pleasure of putting in my mouth.  I didn't think of taking a picture cause of the aforementioned illness.  I just wanted the soup...NOW! 

As for the recipe, I don't use recipes, but here is the process as close as I can remember: 

1. I made the stock from a combination of beef marrow bones, celery, garlic, onions, bay leaves, carrots, turnips, pepper, and hot pepper flakes.  This was slow cooked all day in water a crock pot until the marrow was completely gone and the vegetables had lost all flavor. 
  2. I discarded everything but the broth. 
  3. I then took some beef soup bones, trimmed off all the meat and browned the bones on high heat in bacon fat. 
  4. I added the meat and browned that. 
  5. I then added new celery and onion and caramelized them. 
  6. I added my stock, deglazing as I did and simmered it for 40 minutes.
  7. I added chopped carrots, diced turnips, fresh kale, and barley and simmered it for another 10 minutes. 
  8. I tasted it and adjusted the salt level and flavor by adding concentrated beef stock (the paste in the jar, never use the cubes) and salt until the broth was excellent (it really didn't need much this time). 
  9. I poured in a bag of frozen peas and a bag of frozen corn to the boiling soup, stirred it, put the lid on, turned off the heat, and let it sit for 15 minutes for the corn and peas to cook and the flavor to blend.

Then we ate it.

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

My mini painting supplies.  No matter how bad things get, you need to have some way to relax.  You can't live all the time at maximum stress, or at least not for a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, I'm probably going to go with this.  Most of my mini stuff has low value to others, but provides me with hours of mental diversion.  At the very least, I'd keep my core sculpting set, since I can actually use it to make money for my family.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Heirlooms from my grandparents. Some of them are quite valuable, but not for sale. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, I'm probably going to go with this.  Most of my mini stuff has low value to others, but provides me with hours of mental diversion.  At the very least, I'd keep my core sculpting set, since I can actually use it to make money for my family.

That said, in an inverse to the original question, I'd probably auction off to people like you all of the original greens I have in my collection if it meant feeding my family.  Well maybe not the green for this guy at least not until I was really desperate, since I am pretty sure it is one of only two copies of it in existence and it was my first sculpt:

post-140-0-42909300-1343615493_thumb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2