Jump to content

Glitterwolf

Getting To Know Each Other, November 2018

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

 

 

Access to my electronic files; the stuff isn't worth much, and having other people see it isn't the end of the world. But *I* must always be able to get at it. 

 

Why? My work is my research. If I lose that, I lose everything that I'm supposed to be good at. There is a lot of stuff I don't want to sell and would be kept a darn long time. But if it was the worst of the worst? I need my ability to keep being useful, even if that's an external hard drive on a library computer. 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

 

Access to my electronic files; the stuff isn't worth much, and having other people see it isn't the end of the world. But *I* must always be able to get at it. 

 

Why? My work is my research. If I lose that, I lose everything that I'm supposed to be good at. There is a lot of stuff I don't want to sell and would be kept a darn long time. But if it was the worst of the worst? I need my ability to keep being useful, even if that's an external hard drive on a library computer. 

 

May there always be power grids so you can access your data.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redambrosia said:
11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

 

My husband.

 

My first thought was my kids. I'm trying to be nice to them so somebody will take care of me when I go senile. 

 

Had to think for a serious answer. I've got a lot of stuff I don't plan on ever selling but I understand about hard times and it could go if necessary. Maybe a beaded shirt that belonged to my great grandmother. It's the closest thing to an heirloom my family has and is an impressive piece of work. Should be in a museum really.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

 

 

My teddy bear.

 

When I was 4 I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia of questionable origin (parasitic pneumonia in an otherwise healthy kid, how does one get amoebas into one's lungs without a drowning incident anyway). My parents either would not or could not stay with me through the worst of it. Not sure which. All I know is they did not stay despite the circumstances.

 

They bought me a teddy bear instead.

 

I have moved nearly a dozen times. I have fled a house with the contents of a backpack. I have lived in a car, I have crossed state lines, I have traveled other continents. I have kept that teddy bear through it all.

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

I mean, I'll never sell my husband or my cats. :P

 

Honestly, I was never super attached to things because we moved so much when I was little. When we couldn't get to our apartment for a month during the flooding Harvey, we made our peace and figured everything was lost. We were incredibly lucky that our stuff was fine. We had neighbors a street away with 6 feet of water in their homes. :( It was the mold damage in the storage unit a few months ago that took a lot of our stuff. Goodness, we've still a couple boxes of junk but the main reason it's still around is because I don't want to be wasteful and trash what I can't donate. 

 

I would never sell the minis I've gotten from friends during mini exchanges or at ReaperCon! They are just so good and thoughtful. :wub:

 

8 hours ago, TGP said:

There is a Painting my mom did that falls into the same category as your train @Glitterwolf. We collaborated a little when it was created. Her: this needs something else. (The composition was bothering her.) Me: put a castle on the Hill?  Her: draw one to fit the spot, Castles aren’t my thing. So I drew a castle; she added it to the Painting. 

That sounds like an absolutely precious memory. Thank you for telling us about it. <3

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TGP said:

There is a Painting my mom did that falls into the same category as your train @Glitterwolf. We collaborated a little when it was created. Her: this needs something else. (The composition was bothering her.) Me: put a castle on the Hill?  Her: draw one to fit the spot, Castles aren’t my thing. So I drew a castle; she added it to the Painting. 

 

Skimmed past this on my first reading. Made me think about one other thing. When my mom was learning to paint she was trying to copy a photo of the creek and trees 3/4 of a mile from my house on the farm. She worked and worked at it to get that painting to look just right and I was giving her advice on it. I can't paint in oils but I can say what didn't look right. The spot in the painting is my favourite place. We used to fish there with my dad and as a teenager I spent a lot of time fooling around in the creek by myself there. When she finished it she gave it to me for my birthday. A lot of good memories of my childhood and family wrapped up in one painting.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

 

 

My hardcover copy of The Hobbit.  My mom read it to me as a little kid, and it's the only book that I reread.  It's still in really good shape despite being over 20 years old.  If I ever have children they'll being hearing that story at bedtime whether they like it or not!

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

 

My teddy bear.

 

When I was 4 I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia of questionable origin (parasitic pneumonia in an otherwise healthy kid, how does one get amoebas into one's lungs without a drowning incident anyway). My parents either would not or could not stay with me through the worst of it. Not sure which. All I know is they did not stay despite the circumstances.

 

They bought me a teddy bear instead.

 

I have moved nearly a dozen times. I have fled a house with the contents of a backpack. I have lived in a car, I have crossed state lines, I have traveled other continents. I have kept that teddy bear through it all.

Same thing for me.  When dad went on his first long term tour of duty, they had a bunny special delivered to me named "Bunky".  That was almost thirty years ago, and no matter what, he's never left my stock.  I believe he's currently keeping my old Samsung Galaxy S3 company as it refuses to die (while doing various research tasks for World Community Grid), aka keeping an eye on my bedroom ^_^

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

 

A vase that belonged to my great grandmother. To be fair I don’t think it’s worth much but I love it.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 5 : What is the one thing you own, you will never sell no matter how bad things get?

 

 

My wedding ring.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The very last thing of value that I possess when all else has been liquidated  would be my wedding ring.

It isn't particularly valuable, but in terms of symbolism it is priceless.

GEM

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nov. 6 : What would you put in a time capsule for future generations to find?

 

BONUS QUESTION : Did you ever made a time capsule? What was in that one?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 6 : What would you put in a time capsule for future generations to find?

 

BONUS QUESTION : Did you ever made a time capsule? What was in that one?

 

A small, contrite message saying something like: "Sorry about the tigers, elephants and rhinoceros. We didn't realise what we had until it was gone."  

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Morihalda said:

That sounds like an absolutely precious memory. Thank you for telling us about it. <3

 

16 hours ago, Zink said:

Skimmed past this on my first reading. Made me think about one other thing. When my mom was learning to paint she was trying to copy a photo of the creek and trees   [...snip...] A lot of good memories of my childhood and family wrapped up in one painting.

 

I have a photo of the Painting handy here in the phone:

 

C903E092-AD17-41D6-BA36-6F28FF000932.jpeg.163d9f0c7c557c8692be29a92444ff9a.jpeg

 

(Like Zink said, “Good memories in one Painting”.)

 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never put stuff in a time capsule but I have witnessed one being prepared and placed in its vault.

Disneyland prepared a capsule as part of the 40th year celebration, to be opened 40 years after being deposited.

I'd kinda like to be there when they raise it.

Another one I have seen is the capsule, which was a small metal box placed inside the corner stone of the IOOF Hall in Ontario, California when the building was dedicated in the early 1920s.  In the 90s it was necessary to do some maintenance work around the cornerstone and the box was opened at that time, examined, new materials added of significance to Odd Fellows with an explanatory note of greeting to our descendants and the box resealed and replaced.

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

 

I have a photo of the Painting handy here in the phone:

 

C903E092-AD17-41D6-BA36-6F28FF000932.jpeg.163d9f0c7c557c8692be29a92444ff9a.jpeg

 

(Like Zink said, “Good memories in one Painting”.)

 

Good Memories, and a Good Painting.

Thanks for sharing with us.

GEM

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×