Glitterwolf

Getting To Know Each Other, November 2018

On 11/2/2018 at 2:30 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 2 -4 WEEKEND QUEST.

Make a Sandwich ... share the results with us. ( Pics, Recipe, Was it any good?)

It was about a day late, thanks to lack of bread. But a semi-photoworthy sandwich happened:

D223C0C3-3C3E-4546-9401-B60601C221F3.jpeg.23685866bc0aeacee429329f40bb55eb.jpeg

From memory and from the top it was:

Bread

Mayo

Cheese

Smoked Turkey

Pickled carrots, cucumbers, and red peppers

Bread

Pickle relish

Smoked Turkey

Cheese

Cranberry Honey Mustard

Bread

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nov. 6 : What would you put in a time capsule for future generations to find?

BONUS QUESTION : Did you ever made a time capsule? What was in that one?

Honestly, I'd have no idea what I'd put in one.  When I was younger, I didn't really see the point in them, because we had proper places for such things, like museums and whatnot.  Now I'm still not quite certain what my thoughts are regarding them, but some people seem to really like the thoughts of them.  I'd probably be the silly one that would put something like a tin of coffee in there, just so someone would go "why did they put a tin of coffee in here...."

As for if I've ever made one... I might have been involved in one or two of them when I was younger, but I honestly can't remember.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

A CURSE UPON ALL WHO DISTURB MY TOMB!

bonus no

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

I would put in the following and protect it sealed in plastic and protected by a lead casing.

• A photobook with images of ordinary life of people nowadays.
  • A photobook with pics of animals that are bound to be extinct by then.
  • A painted miniature, probably my Countess Karnstein bust
  • A laptop with several extra batterypacks ( if possible rechargable ) a manual in pictonary style so one can figure out how to use it. Laptop will be filled with all sorts of pics / music and movies.
  • A bag of extra salty licorice...just because...

Bonus : Never did.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

GWolf covered a lot of what I would do.  I might be tempted to do a gamer version, putting in a mint copy of the primary rule book for each major roleplaying game of the current version. One would also need to add a set of dice, some minis, etc...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I'd put in pictures of scenes from various films.

I just like the idea of future civilisations believing that in the distant past things like Jurassic Park were real.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Hard evidence of modern life today.  Newspaper clippings, photographs.  Maybe a CD and a DVD of a recent movie.  The general message is "This is now.  These are our hopes and dreams for the future."

I don't believe I have ever participated in making a time capsule.  We may have done a time capsule when I was in elementary school but I don't remember for sure.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Dice. Copy of the D&D rules cyclopedia. And "how to rebuild civilization from scratch" the picture book edition.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a photo of the Painting handy here in the phone:

C903E092-AD17-41D6-BA36-6F28FF000932.jpeg.163d9f0c7c557c8692be29a92444ff9a.jpeg

(Like Zink said, “Good memories in one Painting”.)

I like that!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Another one of these, but orbiting Earth. 

Shop_GR_FineArtPrint_300x300.jpg.e09ac20ae800d30fb4438956a93ca716.jpg

I think I might have done something in grade school that was opened after a couple months, but nothing long lasting. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That would depend upon where the time capsule was placed, and what it was representing. 

When my wife and I were doing minor renovations of our previous home in CO that included redoing the trim work or cabinets, we did make some time capsules and place them within the walls behind the trim/cabinets.  Most were an Altoids tin vacuum sealed in a plastic bag.   Within each one were pictures of the room before our renovations, the dates and times of the renovations, pictures of us as a family with our names and ages, and some trinkets that the kids wanted to add. 

On one of them, we placed it because we had to remove and repair the over the stove microwave because a squirrel had manage to climb down the stove vent and get himself stuck within the microwave's "squirrel cage" fan.   So before we put the repaired microwave back up, we placed a time capsule behind it that told the story of the squirrel who disrupted our weekend routine. 

I think we placed 5 or 6 of these time capsules in the house.  I know that the new owner found at least two of them last year, because he contacted us and asked us if we wanted them. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I would add a detailed, printed specification for how to build an optical drive for early 21st century storage technology, sufficient for anybody with a similar, or better, level of electronics technology to construct a drive to read one. Then I would add an archival quality CD (easier to read than a DVD) containing detailed instructions for opening, and reading as many digital storage media types as possible, as well as common file system on-disk structures, and file formats from the late 20th, and early 21st centuries.

It's about the best thing I can do to help historians in coming centuries to recover information from this age.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, paintybeard said:

A small, contrite message saying something like: "Sorry about the tigers, elephants and rhinoceros. We didn't realise what we had until it was gone."  

I would put in a talking doll to remind our future Overlords that humans were able to speak at one time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I would go to Half-Price Books & Records (or some similar place) and load up on inexpensive music albums and movies. I would take these and place them on one of those blank CD spindle packs to create a stack of mystery discs..!!!

If Future Archaeologists spent thousands of man-hours reinventing the DVD/CD  player and then spent careers hotly debating the “incredible cultural significance” of various B movies and One-Hit-Wonders that would make the joke even better. 

BONUS QUESTION : Did you ever make a time capsule?

Not intentionally. But there are moments when I have delved in closets of mine and found things I did not know I had. :ph34r: But I don’t suppose that counts. :upside:

I was present when a capsule was buried. Or maybe it was the moment it was sealed...not much point burying something if a bunch of peeps know where to dig. I think it was the school I attended at the time doing it. I didn’t get to put anything in it. 

What was in that one?

I don’t remember. I only remember it was made from heavy PVC pipe that was bright red instead of the more usual white. Otherwise it rather looked like an 8 inch OD pipe bomb: A tube with two endcaps. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E2Add:

You Sir, are a spoilsport!

27 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I would add a detailed, printed specification for how to build an optical drive for early 21st century storage technology, sufficient for anybody with a similar, or better, level of electronics technology to construct a drive to read one. Then I would add an archival quality CD (easier to read than a DVD) containing detailed instructions for opening, and reading as many digital storage media types as possible, as well as common file system on-disk structures, and file formats from the late 20th, and early 21st centuries.

It's about the best thing I can do to help historians in coming centuries to recover information from this age.

Or just shove a Walkman in a Ziplock bag and cram it in the capsule......?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1