Unruly

Kings of War: Vanguard

I don't remember getting any skeletal dogs on my skeleton sprues. I'm gonna have to go double check...

And 3 Ups? Wha?

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1

I've got a few skeletal dogs from the Kings of War skeleton sprues I bought as an add on to Dungeon Saga.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

They are.

And the 3 Ups are (or were) on the site as well. (Giant rats the size of bears?)

The Auld Grump

I remember at the time they came out there was a lot of debate on whether they were skeletons of large dogs or giant rats. 

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

I don't remember getting any skeletal dogs on my skeleton sprues. I'm gonna have to go double check...

And 3 Ups? Wha?

3-ups were part of the production method Mantic was using, where the mini is sculpted at 3 times its normal size and then reduced in scale for the master sculpts to make the molds.

Due to incessant whining popular demand from some of their fans :ph34r:, Mantic decided to do a limited collectors series of 75 per sculpt of some of their 3 ups. This was back in their early years.

9BBBDADE-3E1A-41F5-93C8-0C1EFC7BEB4C.thumb.jpeg.dd85f4733454771027e592cb33ff088e.jpeg

This is just a small sample of the dozen or so that I have. They did a couple of elves, dwarves, several undead, an orc, and the dwarves throwing dog and undead dog/giant rat thingy.

After a lull of several years, Mantic recently offered a sci-fi soldier 3-up and a modern zombie 3-up.

D66C1520-224B-4B23-AFDA-B62CE6701C79.thumb.jpeg.4efe7b93ca666554a16d25650e526eec.jpeg

The skeletal dog/rat is on one of the Undead Skeleton troop sprues.

• Like 3

We played the Capture the Giant scenario last night... Megan's Butcher Fleshripper (large command character) got killed by an incidental swipe by the Giant.... :blink: Killed as in taken out of the campaign, not just out of the battle.

This was our first game that is supposed to count for the League....

Megan's view was that it was better to lose the Fleshripper now, rather than later, when it would lose the XP.

So, next time I fight Megan's Night Stalkers in Kings of War, I will have a free giant for my Goody-Two-Shoes Undead.(Look boys! There's a kitten stuck in a tree! Go rescue it!) ::P:

Incidentally - the Mantic Giant placed next to the Bones Undead Giant... looks to be similar sizes.

The Auld Grump - the nastiest thing in her warband was easily the Scarecrows - the Mob rule makes a big difference. Sadly, that was the only thing running in her favor, last battle - her dice decided that they hated her last night. Who knew that d8s could be so cranky?

• Like 1

By the way - the Night Stalker Phantom mini looks fantastic, when painted up.

A wraith, with skulls floating around, peeking out of its robes.

Thinking about the battle - I think Megan should have spent more of her Power, and getting the most out of her warband's special abilities. She was relying too much on the dice.

I was able to use Surge to keep her good models busy, and my necromancer weakened her Fleshripper at just the wrong time. (I wasn't thinking about the Giant - I was planning on swarming her with zombies. Instead... *SPLAT!* ) I kind of picture what happens in Skyrim when a giant kills something with its club....

I used up about half a cubic inch of green stuff on the giant, but am really happy with the way it looks - and need to get more green stuff.

I have been wanting to put in an order to Green Stuff World, anyway.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

We decided not to count my (and the giant) crushing Megan's warband as our first game for the League - she needs a few more games.

She just plain forgot about the Power Dice - until I used my own, and her Fleshripper had become a smear on the ground. (Capture the Giant is not an easy scenario - my tactic was going to be taking out most of Megan's warband, and focusing on the giant with ranged weapons only after her warband had been wittled down. I was going to Surge my zombies into her Fleshripper the next round, but the giant beat me to it.)

It feels like Night Stalkers and Undead should play in a similar fashion - careful use and support of your Grunts is the key.

Also... Blaine the Mercenary is 62 points?! I think he may be the most pricey character in the game....

Setting up the table for a few more games....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Well, he sorta is the Predator, so unless they add in Jesse Ventura and Arnie, it makes sense.

Though I think a "Kill the Predator" type scenario would be cool.

We managed to get in three games - and the last one, Megan managed to winkle out a victory, getting to the dead spy long before I was in the area. (I Surged my troops - but to engage hers, rather than achieve the objective. ::): )

The Auld Grump

In Capture the Giant I was defeated by my own brain fart.

Grump had been spending power every turn, and somehow it never crossed my cranium that I needed to do the same.

Curse of Ages on my Butcher took all the wind out his sails, just in time to catch a club to the face,

I need to get another Butcher for my commander, I want to make it a her, with a pair of saggies.

Won't work on Grump, but I would bet that Dunc and Jon would avoid the model like the PLAGUE!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Won't work on Grump, but I would bet that Dunc and Jon would avoid the model like the PLAGUE!

Some may also wind up focusing fire on such a mini with that kind of reaction.... 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

In Capture the Giant I was defeated by my own brain fart.

Grump had been spending power every turn, and somehow it never crossed my cranium that I needed to do the same.

Curse of Ages on my Butcher took all the wind out his sails, just in time to catch a club to the face,

I need to get another Butcher for my commander, I want to make it a her, with a pair of saggies.

Look at Dreadmere, my dear....

The Auld Grump - or the Gug in Bones III, which we already have....

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kangaroorex
      A really quick and dirty set of scenery using mantics library mini crate.  All told I have maybe 2 hours into the set.  I think it came out pretty well.  I wanted to see what these looked like and the could double for additional scenery on my Saga game.

Air brushes brown primer, followed by a drybrush of woodland brown and then a bunch of colors for the actual books 

Hope you like what you see...

• By Darsc Zacal
      Kickstarter is Live and has reached the initial funding level:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/star-saga-the-sci-fi-dungeon-crawler?ref=nav_search

From the Mantic Newsletter:
      "Star Saga: The Eiras Contract will see players guide a team of space mercenaries on a mission to retrieve stolen data plans from a research facility orbiting a far-off alien world. Players will take on platoons of minions, powerful alien bosses and be forced to make difficult choices as the story takes unexpected twists and turns.

The spiritual sequel to Dungeon Saga, Star Saga introduces newly improved and stronger rulesets, 'learn as you go' rules for new players and, more detailed, advanced mechanics for seasoned gamers."

If it wasn't for Mantics long history of fulfilment issues/delays/changes I'd be tempted by this. It sounds like the game I've been waiting for.
      Instead I'll likely just keep an eye on the Kickstarter and consider buying at retail.
    • By Unruly
      So I'm painting up the Mantic Giant. I'm calling him James, because the head I'm using is very much a James Hetfield head.

Say hi, James.

I started off by priming with a sample of Badger's Stynylrez that I got with last year's RCon swag bag and my Badger Patriot 105 airbrush. I'm pretty sure the primer is their olive green. I used the olive green because I couldn't find the sample bottle of the more off-white/yellow Stynylrez primer that I got from the swag bag two years ago. Then I found it after I finished priming and started trying to mix up a flesh tone. Go figure. I didn't take any pictures of the primed pieces, because all they were was olive green all over.

When mixing up my skin tone, I wanted something tanned looking, but darker and more bronzed than Reaper's tanned skin. I wanted it to look more like how the skin of someone who works outside all summer long tends to look, with that almost leather look that they tend to get. After all, a giant like this guy isn't going to be spending a lot of time indoors, especially not if he's part of an army.

So I started with Vallejo bronze fleshtone and leather brown in roughly equal parts. Which ended up too orange. So I upped the leather brown, and it was still too orange. So I added in Reaper Tanned Shadow, and I almost got it where I wanted. The final touch was some Reaper tanned skin, and I got it to be good enough. Don't ask me proportions, because after the first mix I have no idea. I just threw some color in, stuck it to the vortex mixer for a few seconds, and then looked again to see if I liked it. I finished it off by making it airbrush-ready with some Createx 4012 reducer.

In this picture, it's the unlabeled bottle in the middle. The other bottles are the paints I mixed together to get it.

Now, armed with my skintone, I decided that I wanted to try a different airbrush. So I broke out my Badger Renegade Krome for the very first time and started applying. The difference between the Krome and the Patriot is night and day because of one simple, but amazing, feature - an adjustable trigger stop. It's freaking sweet. No worries about over spraying massive amounts of paint accidentally, and you have so much more control over your lines because of it.

And the skin is where I stopped for the night.

• By lexomatic
      So I picked this up today and it's so much more than I expected. Nice touch with the organizer. I'll be able to store my wizards tower set in it too.
      I'm not working on these for a while, but I thought I'd post pictures etc of the whole thing as a before.
      3x barracks, bar
      2x library, tables & chairs,
      1x blacksmith/stables, throne room, horse & cart

• By Pancakeonions
      Hey fellow nerds!

So I've got a few of the new Nightstalker minis from Mantic games, and I love 'em, for the most part, but would also love to add some diversity and fun to the mix.  They're all pretty weird, distinctive minis, so I'm not sure what Reaper Minis might have to mix in (and how I'd even begin to search for something...), so I thought I'd turn to the collective knowledge base for help!

Here's what the Mantic Nightstalker starter warband looks like: 

I love the shadow-hounds (along the bottom of the pic), but they're the same pose.  Does Reaper have anything like 'em?

I'm not a huge fan of the scarecrow guys (called, wouldn't ya know it, "scarecrows") with the goofy hats.  They're approximately humanoid sized.  Does Reaper have any creepy "slender men" who look very spooky and otherworldly, and might fit in as scarecrows without goofy hats?

I love the Reapers (the eyeless humanoid sized alien things with spike-arms growing out of their backs - not to be confused with Reaper Minis!), and there's a "boss" version called a Reaper Souldrinker.  Mantic has thus far just painted up a Reaper differently to use as a Souldrinker.  Does Reaper have anything creepy to serve as a boss-man Reaper?  I have a few Tyranid bits (claws and such from Games Workshop) that I could use to make him all fancy.  What might you recommend?

The Butchers are pretty rad (The two big, three-armed guys at the top there).  Not sure I need another.  Does Reaper Minis have anything similar?

And I'm not super in love with the horrors (there are two in the picture, big mouths with purple smoke/energy surrounding them, directly above the Shadow-Hounds).  What sort of ghost/ horror/ weirdness might Reaper Minis have?

And I'm also not a huge fan of the Phantom (the eyeless purple ghost-y thing; one is next to a horror, one is at the top of the photo, between the two butchers).  Any good, creepy ghosts?  Games Workshop has a lot of new, neat ghost type figures, but I thought I'd try here first.  Any recommendations? 

Not shown are spectres (fire-bolt spitting ghosts - the Mantic figure is pretty meh), needlefangs (40mm based swarms of unsubtantial teeth, eyes, and nastiness.  I don't have this figure, I don't think it's out yet, but it looks rad!).  I like the mindscreetch (a big, weird looking floating brain), a Shade (creepy looking mouth-eyes nasty.  Looks cool!), a banshee (odd female-ish model with a mouth where the head should be.  Not sure I like it...)

Anyway, anyone else playing around with these figures?  What do you think?  What are you swapping in for which figures?  Thanks! 

• Who's Online   41 Members, 2 Anonymous, 205 Guests (See full list)