Unruly

Kings of War: Vanguard

I wonder when the Varangur will be added. I can probably stitch together a warband out of the handful of AoS Chaos guys I've got and all my Bones...

Edit: Also called it on the regular Undead getting the Skeleton Archer as a unit. It's part of the new units on the free PDF as well. And they didn't quite pull a Skeleton on them. Their stat line is identical to the EoD skeleton archer, and they cost 8 points as opposed to 7 for the EoD, but they have a special ability that forces a Nerve check on a hit and a fail moves the target 2" away and makes them fatigued. Which looks pretty nice.

Also, with the fact that they just now out the Skulks on the orc list, which I hadn't noticed their omission earlier, I'm wondering if their lack of inclusion in the Orc warband pack from the kickstarter was intentional despite the warband being advertised as coming with a couple. I haven't finished my inventory of the minis yet, so I haven't shot Mantic an email about them yet either. I wonder what their response will be.

Edited by Unruly

I gather that playtesting wasn't quite finished when the publication date came up - so some of the units are just now getting into the rules.

They focused on the forces that were going to be in the initial release - getting them finished and playtested first - and only testing the bare bones of the rest of the warbands.

And that the ones held back included Ronnie's own favorites - the dwarfs. (I think it went something like this - Ronnie: Look at me! I'm doing Trident Realms! Trident Realms are cool! Oh, wait! The dwarfs are out?! Sorry fish guys! I got dwarfs to paint!)

A strangely logical way of handling things....

The Auld Grump - speaking of the fish guys - I got to play against them the other day... that special ability they have for jumping their frog guys over the enemy line is really, really annoying! ::D:I screened my Necromancer with a scattering of zombies, and it did no good, whatsoever. My necromancer managed to kill the froggies - but they kept him from using his better spells for several rounds. Not an unbalancing power, but, wow, it changes the tactics.... They turned what could have been a win into a draw, and almost a loss. If I had failed one armor armor check then my one and only command unit would have almost certainly have dropped.)

Here's an interesting little observation for you all. One of the players at my local club suggests that with this particular game, he finds himself paying more attention to how the opponent's faction works and seeing things that they could do than he does learning his own warband's abilities and uses. Now, knowing him, that's pretty close to the way he normally plays anyway but it's the first time in years that he's ever announced it outloud.

I, too, find myself focusing on what my opponent can do (but that's because on Monday I was teaching a new player the ropes so I had to look out for things that he could do as well as my own opportunities). However, if Mantic has managed to create a game that encourages players to appreciate the enemy faction they face then that's very clever marketing (because it makes you want to buy more miniatures and play more factions). What do you all think about that? Could it be sheer dastardly cunning or just a merry accident?

• Like 2

I finally got to see a good review of the Vanguard Dwarfs. Really, really annoyed with myself for not getting it in the Kickstarter.

In particular, I really, really like the female dwarf.

She is... ugly! ::D:

In a cheerful way - but not winsome, or cute, or sexy.

Ranger-Dwarf-Mantic-Games.jpg

There have been plenty of ugly male dwarfs, it is nice to see an ugly female.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* The same site has a link to what may be the perfect Wound Counters for Vanguard and Kings of War - row counters for knitting. Ten for $2.55. 75 cents shipping. Two colors, red and blue - which means Megan and I could each have a color, and not mix them up on the table. They can handle up to 99 wounds, each. I am...flabbergasted. Cheap plastic, and perfect for the job.

Edited by TheAuldGrump

Jon just whupped my butt with his Northern Àlliance.I

Those beasts of his are NASTY.

But I had no trouble with Julie trying to rescue the princess, HER I beat.

Nightstalkers against Jon, goblins against Julie.

I used the Reaper girl on a spit model instead of the Vanguard princess. The goblins et GOOD after the battle. :devil:

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I finally got to see a good review of the Vanguard Dwarfs. Really, really annoyed with myself for not getting it in the Kickstarter.

In particular, I really, really like the female dwarf.

She is... ugly! ::D:

In a cheerful way - but not winsome, or cute, or sexy.

Ranger-Dwarf-Mantic-Games.jpg

There have been plenty of ugly male dwarfs, it is nice to see an ugly female.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* The same site has a link to what may be the perfect Wound Counters for Vanguard and Kings of War - row counters for knitting. Ten for $2.55. 75 cents shipping. Two colors, red and blue - which means Megan and I could each have a color, and not mix them up on the table. They can handle up to 99 wounds, each. I am...flabbergasted. Cheap plastic, and perfect for the job.

Oh, wow, she's cool! She is a player character waiting to happen, with CHA as her dump stat!

Aunt Dot knits, I'll ask if she had those counters. Dot knits you stoopid Fire, NOT Don Knotts!

• Haha 4

Not sure what it says about dwarf players - but the responses that I have seen for the ugly female dwarf ranger have been overwhelmingly positive.... People are happy that she is 'a nottie, not a hottie', as one person put it.

Then again, maybe I should not be surprised that Mantic is doing it, given Ronnie Renton's well known feeling about dwarfs. (Dwarf army in KoW, Forge Fathers for the SF games, and when the dwarfs for Vanguard came out he promptly abandoned the Trident Realms warband that he was working on to do the dwarfs. A few years ago, he and one of the Mantic Pathfinders had a battle - the loser had to shave their beard - dwarfs vs. Abyssal dwarfs.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnCFQEGbuSM

The Auld Grump

On 11/6/2018 at 12:42 AM, Darsc Zacal said:

Well dang. There goes my plan of collecting all the Ronnie’s.

Finally found a photo -

IMG_20181025_182119.jpg

The Auld Grump - he looks ridonculous. :lol:

Mine actually had a lot less flash than the one in the photo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - he looks ridonculous. :lol:

Mine actually had a lot less flash than the one in the photo.

Thanks for posting the pic.

I haven’t seen that mini before.

In the month since release - that is the first photo I have seen of the model - which is a danged shame - that mini is a hoot! (And a honk, and a clang....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Ronnie’s here with an update about everything that’s going on in the world of Vanguard…

Well, it’s very safe to say that Vanguard was one of our most successful game launches ever. Since the Kickstarter shipped and the game hit stores in October, we’ve seen plenty of faction photographs, battle reports and painting tutorials pop up online – which is great. Plus, popular YouTube channels like BlackJackLegacy, Weight of Fire and Guerrilla Miniature Gaming with Ash Barker have all jumped on board the Vanguard hype train – and there is a host of events already scheduled in and filling up fast.

In fact, the game has been so popular that we’re just about sold out of the first print run of the rulebook – so if you want to get one before January (when the 2nd printing arrives), you’ll need to grab one quick!

However, all this is only just the beginning of the Vanguard journey. Over the coming weeks and months we’ve got plenty of awesome Vanguard coverage and releases planned to keep the games fresh and ever evolving.

WHAT’S HAPPENING NEXT?

Dwarf Faction Launch – these are some of the most amazing Dwarf minis we’ve ever produced as you can see below. Those people who were sensible enough to grab some during the Kickstarter have been drooling over them since they received them. Watch out for the faction going up for pre-order later this week, ahead of their official launch in January

Mercenaries – later this week you’ll be able to add the heroic Firebrand to your warband, or the powerful goblin wizard, Kuzlo, complete with his hungry mount, Madfall

Uncharted Empires starter warband lists – some of you insist on playing with miniatures that went OOP in 1973. Well everyone is welcome at house Mantic, so as part of our 12 Days of Christmas, we’ll be unleashing a free PDF download for the remaining factions from the Kings of War supplement, Uncharted Empires. Time to literally blow the dust off those minis

Also - the points will be officially over on Easy Army, for folks that want software for building their warband. ::):

The Auld Grump

Hmmm, came up with a dungeon crawl style Vanguard scenario... and I am discovering that my army... is really, really bad at this scenario. :lol:

Spread out too far from my necromancer. ::P:

The Auld Grump

We'll be doing a 4 way big game next week as it's our last group meeting before January. I have finished painting more skeletons and I'll probably provide some new progress photos.

In the meantime here's a couple of pictures from Monday night's games. Man that second picture's a bit out of focus.  Undead really thrive in the Portal scenario where they can keep summoning more skeletons to throng around it.

I know. The werewolf isn't painted yet. I'll get around to it when I've decided on a colour scheme.

P_20181210_203603.thumb.jpg.51b5454c0fd30ec14fe099d822b3cda5.jpg

P_20181210_203608.thumb.jpg.7618a9e88120861e47871349301da556.jpg

• Like 2