Unruly

Kings of War: Vanguard

Whoof! I'm TIRED.

I just decided one of the bearded heads we have in the bits box looks good on one of the female bodies. <_<

And glued it in place.

Does anyone here know what company made some topless female barbarians, kind of chunky casts, with big swords?

Kind of nice figures, but also kind of gravity defying?

Look almost like GW, but not.

I want some of those for my warband in Northern Alliance. But my Google skill is not up to the task, though some of the results I got were worth the price of admission. ::P:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I want to use that yak as a yak. :blink:

That is a player companion if I have ever seen one.

"You got to watch out for that one. It's a leaner."

"A leaner?"

"Means it moves up next to you, and leans on you."

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"It isn't, until you BOTH fall over, and you're under five hundred pounds of contented yak."

My mother-in-law’s miniature donkeys are like that, very affectionate. Fortunately, they’re miniature. But they still outweigh any dog.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I want to use that yak as a yak. :blink:

That is a player companion if I have ever seen one.

"You got to watch out for that one. It's a leaner."

"A leaner?"

"Means it moves up next to you, and leans on you."

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"It isn't, until you BOTH fall over, and you're under five hundred pounds of contented yak."

it's on a huge base. Something like 50mm by 75mm.

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Does anyone here know what company made some topless female barbarians, kind of chunky casts, with big swords?

Target Games, Chronopia, Maidens of the Blade? I can't remember which faction they were but they're probably the ones you were looking for.

And have been out of production since 2014....

They were... okay, but there are better, or at least more realistic, topless female barbarians on the market. Mostly from Europe, but Reaper has one in Bones.

Hasslefree, Heresy, probably others. (I like the Hasslefree Libby miniatures.)

Chronopia never really caught on, and unlike Warzone has been allowed to remain on the refuse pile.

The Auld Grump

To be fair, if you thought Rackham's Confrontation had bad faction balance issues then you never looked at Chronopia. Chronopia's "roll low on a d20" rules were profiles that were clearly inferior cost more points than superior profiles "because we want them to feel rare and outnumbered" was outright terrible. Some of the stories and artwork were okay 'though.

Personally I'd go with Hasslefree for barbarian miniatures myself but they aren't quite what she was asking for.

20 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Whoof! I'm TIRED.

I just decided one of the bearded heads we have in the bits box looks good on one of the female bodies. <_<

And glued it in place.

Kind of nice figures, but also kind of gravity defying?

Look almost like GW, but not.

I want some of those for my warband in Northern Alliance. But my Google skill is not up to the task, though some of the results I got were worth the price of admission. ::P:

Celtos was another one.  I may have a couple floating around.

22 hours ago, Pingo said:

My mother-in-law’s miniature donkeys are like that, very affectionate. Fortunately, they’re miniature. But they still outweigh any dog.

I've met a cow like that.

She had to be taken away from the petting area at the farm because of that. ::D:  (It was one of those farms that give tours to school children.)

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Celtos was another one.  I may have a couple floating around.

Celtos has some great looking male barbarians, and some terrible female figures.

With the traditional Celtic bikini.... <_<

A banda I could understand, but, well....

I would aim at the Hasslefree, myself - the Blade Maidens, even if available, suffer from a lack of droop... Bodies just don't look like that.

But... it did remind me that there are some 'vikings' by Wargames Foundry -

vik037_1024x1024.png?v=1495987181

They also have some 'Valkyries' that are somewhat lacking in the clothing department.

Reasonable weapons, reasonable bodies... not so reasonable clothing and armor - and some fat ladies with horned helmets. (It ain't over until they sing.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

Pretty sure Kev didn't do the Celtos females - he knows what a female body looks like - and does a good job of portraying it, with or without clothing.

The Auld Grump - or... he could have given the manufacturer what they asked for....

• Like 1

Kev White did a bunch of the female Dwarves for Celtos, at the very least. There was also a Barbarian Queen with Shieldbearers that he sculpted for the line.

56 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

Kev White did a bunch of the female Dwarves for Celtos, at the very least. There was also a Barbarian Queen with Shieldbearers that he sculpted for the line.

I can believe he did that one - she is not quite as... ... ... anorexic with huge breasts... as some of the other Gaels.

And I am putting the blame on the company, not Kev. They had a house style and stuck to it.

Just looking at the fluff for the game makes me want to grab the creator and forcibly explain that the firbolg were not the undead! (And is pronounced a whole lot differently than people seem to think.... Gaelic does not have the same pronunciations as our language of grunts and scowls. [Insert discussion of P Celtic and C Celtic languages HERE])

The Vanir are better - but I am not seeing the female dwarfs. (I looked - female dwarf barbarians sound worth having.)

I suspect that I was never the right age for that game - the males are fine, the females... seem like something aimed at adolescent boys. And the Gaels did not wear bikinis! Naked would bother me less than bikinis*.

The Warmonger and Wargames Foundry miniatures also have a lot of that, but with bodies that work a lot better. I need to run them past Megan - she really wants the Blade Maidens from Chronopia, but there are none to be found. I think Wargames Foundry seems the best substitute, in regards to topless warriors.

I think... that I have been spoiled by lines like Sensible Shoes.... (Best female half-orc, ever! :lol:)

The Auld Grump

* The Mantic version of space elves also has a unit clad in space bikinis... on both the females and the males. ::P: I think somebody was taking the Michael. ::P: (Think Connery's outfit in Zardoz.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I can believe he did that one - she is not quite as... ... ... anorexic with huge breasts... as some of the other Gaels.

And I am putting the blame on the company, not Kev. They had a house style and stuck to it.

Just looking at the fluff for the game makes me want to grab the creator and forcibly explain that the firbolg were not the undead! (And is pronounced a whole lot differently than people seem to think.... Gaelic does not have the same pronunciations as our language of grunts and scowls. [Insert discussion of P Celtic and C Celtic languages HERE])

The Vanir are better - but I am not seeing the female dwarfs. (I looked - female dwarf barbarians sound worth having.)

I suspect that I was never the right age for that game - the males are fine, the females... seem like something aimed at adolescent boys. And the Gaels did not wear bikinis! Naked would bother me less than bikinis*.

The Warmonger and Wargames Foundry miniatures also have a lot of that, but with bodies that work a lot better. I need to run them past Megan - she really wants the Blade Maidens from Chronopia, but there are none to be found. I think Wargames Foundry seems the best substitute, in regards to topless warriors.

I think... that I have been spoiled by lines like Sensible Shoes.... (Best female half-orc, ever! :lol:)

The Auld Grump

* The Mantic version of space elves also has a unit clad in space bikinis... on both the females and the males. ::P: I think somebody was taking the Michael. ::P: (Think Connery's outfit in Zardoz.)

Well, if you know which Blade Maidens you want, I can look at my FLGS.  They used to have a large rack (no pun intended) of Chronopia minis.  I haven't looked at it in a while so I don't know what they still have, but I can give it a look when next I am there.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

P Celts and Q Celts my boy. I've never heard the Q Celts described as C Celts before.

C, Q, or K - all refer to the sound used for a character - the existence of a hard K or C, my child.

All refer to the pronunciation, rather than the root, of the character.

And all have been used, at various times, to refer to the hard K Celts. Another reference is Gaelic Celts - Scots and Irish. Goidelic Celtic pronunciation.

P Celts pronounced the same character as a P, and are more accurately referred to as Bythonic Celts - Welsh and Cornish.

Gael itself likely started as a Greek word that the Gaelic peoples adopted for themselves.

Also distinct is the lack of the character Thorn.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump