Unruly

Kings of War: Vanguard

13 hours ago, Unruly said:

Uhhh... Highlander 2: The Quickening?

Catwoman?

The Room, but not in a "so bad it's good" way?

Am I close?

Last year I made him wear a Beast costume! :lol:

A piano... I have no idea what I will do with it, but I WANT it!

Maybe a bard with a BIG bag of holding? ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Last year I made him wear a Beast costume! :lol:

A piano... I have no idea what I will do with it, but I WANT it!

Maybe a bard with a BIG bag of holding? ::P:

89390671_4f04422b39_b.jpgPiano in Pocket by thegreat plotnik, on Flickr

Classic Far Side. ::D:

You want it for the dreaded Acme Piano Trap... seen most often being used by a coyote....

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Played my first game today. Undead vs Goblins, in a kill the bard scenario. I was the undead, and I lost. But I think it's because we both were learning the game as we went, sharing a single rulebook. The scenario isn't one that really favors an army of slow units that have a commander who forgets about surge.

But I think we're gonna try to play some more in the near-ish future.

• Like 3

Kill Ronnie the Bard is not the best scenario for a first play through - but it is fun. :lol:  And the objective marker is hilarious!

The Auld Grump - at least it is easier than Capture the Giant - where the objective can swat you like a bug....

• Like 1

I'm working on putting together some more warband lists, and assembling the Ogres that I got. While putting the lists together, it seems like the Ogres are kinda crippled under the standard 200pt game unless you're fielding practically all goblins.

I understand that they're tough and big, and so they cost more, but their only ranged options are either Red Goblin Rabble, which are a poor Ra 7 for 9 points, or a single Boomer. Goblins are also the only mounted units you can take, save for a single mounted Ogre at a whopping +15 points if you're playing it as a campaign. 

I really think they need to get the Ogre Shooters into the game. It's also interesting to see that they kind of switched the roles of the Brave and the Warrior from their roles in regular Kings of War.

• Like 1

We will see where it goes when they come out with the Ogre box for the game - none of the 'abridged' armies in the book are that great. Some of the stats don't even match the models. (Iron Watch as an example - the model has a rifle, which is not something that they can get as standard equipment.)

We have been handicapping by only allowing the choices from the book for all armies. (The book version of the Night Stalkers is... definitely sub-optimal. No Mind Screech.)

Easy Army has the expanded armies for all the armies that have boxes, and will be adding the rest as they are fleshed out.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

The game is definitely a work in progress, and you can tell they kind of rushed it.

I'm still trying to figure out why they made Goblin Mawbeasts a regular 20mm base when in Kings of War the Mawbeast Pack is on cavalry bases.

• Like 1

Hrmmm... I thought that the Lower Abyssals and Succubi(hard plastics) were supposed to be new sculpts, which is why they used art instead of the sculpts during the campaign. The Lower Abyssals I got are the exact same as the ones that I got 2 years ago in a mystery box. The Succubi look like the old sculpts as well, and not at all like the concept art shown during the campaign. Also just now noticing some other issues, like the lower wings on the new gargoyles all being broken and at least one missing tail.

I'm wondering if it's too late to contact Mantic about the stuff like the missing bits? I'm not too worried about the succubi and lower abyssal sprues because they're still sprues of 5 units even if they aren't new sculpts like what I thought, so that's fine.

• Sad 2

Found the missing tail. Assembled all of my abyssals that I got as part of the kickstarter except the resins, as well as some that I had from before.

The new flamebearers are nice, but either they only have one head and I forced a head from something else onto one, or the second head just doesn't fit well at all. The Hellequins look like something straight out of a Frazetta painting when you give them the axe, and close enough when they have the lance. The new gargoyles look pretty good, but I don't know if they needed to give them boobs. They also need their integrated bases trimmed a bit to fit on a 20mm base, and won't rank up in 20mm if their wings are attached.

The new abyssal guards also suffer from being unable to rank up due to their poses. In both options, poleaxe and sword & shield, their sculpting is a wide armed pose. The succubus lurkers aren't bad at ranking up though, and they look good too. My only complaint is that I wish they had a second head option, like maybe a version with the hood down.

All in all, they're good new models. Especially for a skirmish game. But if they're intended to replace or compliment existing models for regular Kings of War they're going to cause some problems because of the issues with forming ranks. You're pretty much going to have to do some minimum unit size multibasing for the likes of the gargoyles and abyssal guards. Flamebearers can probably fit more than minimums, but they'll also benefit greatly from multibasing.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Unruly said:

Hrmmm... I thought that the Lower Abyssals and Succubi(hard plastics) were supposed to be new sculpts, which is why they used art instead of the sculpts during the campaign. The Lower Abyssals I got are the exact same as the ones that I got 2 years ago in a mystery box. The Succubi look like the old sculpts as well, and not at all like the concept art shown during the campaign. Also just now noticing some other issues, like the lower wings on the new gargoyles all being broken and at least one missing tail.

I'm wondering if it's too late to contact Mantic about the stuff like the missing bits? I'm not too worried about the succubi and lower abyssal sprues because they're still sprues of 5 units even if they aren't new sculpts like what I thought, so that's fine.

No - the Lower Abyssals and the Succubi are still the old sculpts - but the Flame Bearers and Gargoyles are new sculpts - and pretty nice.

But then I also like the old Flame Bearer and Gargoyle sculpts. (Not really sure why the new sculpts were needed, to be honest, but they are nice.)

There are a couple of hero/character Succubi - which may be what you are thinking of. One has wings and a string of hearts, the other is wearing a cloak.

8189.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

8179.1.600.600.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

The Auld Grump - mind you, I have enough Sophies and other Bones demons that I have flexibility, even without the official models. ::P:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

No - the Lower Abyssals and the Succubi are still the old sculpts - but the Flame Bearers and Gargoyles are new sculpts - and pretty nice.

But then I also like the old Flame Bearer and Gargoyle sculpts. (Not really sure why the new sculpts were needed, to be honest, but they are nice.)

There are a couple of hero/character Succubi - which may be what you are thinking of. One has wings and a string of hearts, the other is wearing a cloak.

8189.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

8179.1.600.600.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

The Auld Grump - mind you, I have enough Sophies and other Bones demons that I have flexibility, even without the official models. ::P:

The one in the cloak would make a great tiefing mini.

• Like 3

That one with the cloak... So nice to see that there's the whole female beauty thing going on, but she isn't coated in clothing repellent!  (aka she's actually more or less well dressed!) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That one with the cloak... So nice to see that there's the whole female beauty thing going on, but she isn't coated in clothing repellent!  (aka she's actually more or less well dressed!) 

Yeah, they may have to kick her out of Succubus Union Local 666 for that.

The Auld Grump - there are only 200 Locals, but for some reason they are all numbered 666, except for the ones numbered 69, and the lone local numbered 4:20.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Yeah, they may have to kick her out of Succubus Union Local 666 for that.

The Auld Grump - there are only 200 Locals, but for some reason they are all numbered 666, except for the ones numbered 69, and the lone local numbered 4:20.

That one would also make a nice Dark Elf Sorceress if you can lose the tail.

I better not look at Mantic too much, I already have a lifetime supply of minis ( with 2 KS coming to add to it), I have seen some nice stuff so far.

Tempting..

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That one would also make a nice Dark Elf Sorceress if you can lose the tail.

I better not look at Mantic too much, I already have a lifetime supply of minis ( with 2 KS coming to add to it), I have seen some nice stuff so far.

Tempting..

Megan calls her Darth Maul's* long lost sister.

Me, she reminds me of the demons in the computer game Oblivion.

The Auld Grump

* I cannot describe how much the fight scene against Dart Maul annoyed me - the actor playing Darth Maul knew what he was doing, while the Jedi were just waving their swords around. There should have been thin slices of deli style Jedi on the counter....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1