Unruly

Kings of War: Vanguard

Haven’t been able to find the Vanguard rulebook locally.

If online is my only ordering option, it’ll have to wait awhile.

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Haven’t been able to find the Vanguard rulebook locally.

If online is my only ordering option, it’ll have to wait awhile.

Honestly, I think the rulebook is largely overrated. The free rules are most of what you need, and Easy Army has all the army lists, items, and spells. Including the stuff that isn't in the book. The one thing I wish they would do is to add a section below the cards explaining what the special abilities are, the way they do with regular KoW army lists that you print from there. Because in my first couple games we had to keep flipping through the rules to remember what stuff like 

The problem I have is the power dice. Even with all the dice I got backing the kickstarter, it isn't enough. Undead use a LOT of the white dice, and trying to split my 20+ dice between 2 players means that if my opponent needs even 1 of the white then I don't have enough of them for my force. And I really don't want to spend $18 on 8 dice just to get 2 more white and a whole bunch of red that I don't need. I wish the dice set was both cheaper and had a better split of dice. 3 white, 3 red, and 2 blue for about $10 would be nice. Not 5 red, 2 white, and 1 blue for $18. Or just give us a chart to map them to regular d6's...

23 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Honestly, I think the rulebook is largely overrated. The free rules are most of what you need, and Easy Army has all the army lists, items, and spells. Including the stuff that isn't in the book. The one thing I wish they would do is to add a section below the cards explaining what the special abilities are, the way they do with regular KoW army lists that you print from there. Because in my first couple games we had to keep flipping through the rules to remember what stuff like 

The problem I have is the power dice. Even with all the dice I got backing the kickstarter, it isn't enough. Undead use a LOT of the white dice, and trying to split my 20+ dice between 2 players means that if my opponent needs even 1 of the white then I don't have enough of them for my force. And I really don't want to spend $18 on 8 dice just to get 2 more white and a whole bunch of red that I don't need. I wish the dice set was both cheaper and had a better split of dice. 3 white, 3 red, and 2 blue for about $10 would be nice. Not 5 red, 2 white, and 1 blue for $18. Or just give us a chart to map them to regular d6's...

I recently found HeroQuest dice on Thingiverse - I wonder if there might be something that would work for Vanguard as well.

I know that there are instructions on how to import images for use on dice there.

The Auld Grump

For 3D printers, that is.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, Unruly said:

The game is definitely a work in progress, and you can tell they kind of rushed it.

I'm still trying to figure out why they made Goblin Mawbeasts a regular 20mm base when in Kings of War the Mawbeast Pack is on cavalry bases.

And now this is fixed. I just looked over at Easy Army and the Mawbeast is listed as a cavalry base. It wasn't that way a couple weeks ago.

Grump beat me in less than ten minutes.

Now he has finished smashing Jon's Northern Alliance.

That took him TWENTY minutes.

He is facing Julie next.

I am betting on THIRTY minutes for that one.

It's all in the GROUP actions, I think. He spends his power dice and gangs up on his victims. Most of the kills are by his zeds. And when they get killed, so what? They're zombies, he gets them back after the game.

And he spends ALL his power.

I think he would be taking longer if he wasn't tired. The friendly part of him is asleep.

And undead are nasty! Even when they are goody twoshoes.

• Like 2

I beat Jon!

And took the same amount of time as Grumpy did, so my ego is restored. ^_^

My ma beasts left his commander as scattered scraps, and the beacon NEVER got lit.

Julie beat Dunc in twenty minutes, and the battle between Grump and Julie is in full swing.

We are all noisy players, except for Grump and Julue, dead serious silence from their table!

After this, I have Julie and Grump crushes Dunc. Then I crush Dunc.

• Like 1

Poor Duncan - the only battle he won was against Jon - who won none at all. (In spite of doing very well against me in practice games.)

I won four.

Megan won three.

Julie won three.

The rest won two games each.

Rather surprisingly there were no draws.

The tightest win I had was a Supplies battle against Julie - I had five points, she had two - she grabbed all three objectives near the beginning, and left herself too spread out, which resulted in my grabbing two from her - and holding onto them, rather than trying to take the last one from her.

The Supplies Grab scenario is unusual - both of our armies will get a bonus next time we fight in Kings of War - I will get 100 extra points, and she will get 40.

I did well, in spite of having a screaming headache through more than half the battles.

The fastest win was when my Undead took on Megan's goblins - Kill the Commander, with her commander popping up in the first tent I checked, and within charge range of my zombies. (Zombies get a mob bonus - a group charge gave a bonus to all the zombies.) But I never found her Battle Plans, so it was not a complete victory. (There are two bonuses available in this scenario - killing the commander and finding the battle plans - each giving a different bonus in a later KoW battle.)

I think the biggest slaughter was Megan vs Jon - Gobbos vs Northern Alliance - her Mawbeasts tore his leader into bloody chunks. And his troll was nowhere useful. <_< (What the heck! That troll should have been the point of his attack. Use it to make a hole in the line!) Megan's trolls were much more effective - and Jon never got the Beacon lit at all during the battle.

Recover the Plans vs. Duncan was fun - he had a real chance, but it turned out that the plans weren't on the dead spy - which left him in a poor position.

Jon and I played Destroy the Baggage Train - with a silly twist - both our armies are Good - but since mine is Undead his commander thought my forces were on the Evil side. He ambushed a baggage train that was bound for allies, not enemies. While the battle was fast - about fifteen minutes, I think - it was a lot closer than it looked. I had to sacrifice my zombies and skellies to hold up his more powerful units. While fast - we played through all the turns, with the game wrapping on turn 6. He was a lot more effective than he was against Megan, even if I won faster - he suffered no permanent losses, while I ended down two ghouls.The Good Undead are taken from the Edge of the Abyss campaign for KoW - my Warband is working for Jarvis.

The defender in Destroy the Baggage Train is in a pretty bad position - and has to kill the enemy to win, while the attacker just has to burn the wagons. I managed to keep two wagons, and drove his forces off - but didn't kill any.

Open the Portal - Jon vs. Julie... was a bloodbath on both sides - with Twilight Kin (Julie) the ones still holding the Portal at the end.

Of the armies - Twilight Kin and Northern Alliance seem to be the ones that have the best chance against me. Flexibility matters.

When the goblins get their starter... it is gonna be interesting - that flyer worries me.

None of the scenarios feel similar in play - each is very, very different.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

My Goody Two-Shoes undead warband is facing Megan's goblins in a few minutes - the undead are trying to free a princess from the gobbos - before the goblins can cook her. (Megan has a mini of a woman hanging from a spit over a fire....) In game - the Princess was an ambassador sent on an ill advised mission of peace. If I win it will also establish my Undead as one of the good guys - otherwise the next Vanguard scenario for me will be Good vs. Good.... 'Cause Blue on Blue sucks!

While that is going on, Jon and Julie are doing the Power Stones scenario - Northern Alliance against Twilight Kin.

Duncan is fighting Jen in Recover the Plans - Brotherhood vs. Forces of Nature.

And Que will be introducing his Varangur in a battle against Eric's Abyssals (Evil vs. Evil - just the way the Varangur like it - Secure the Portal. (Que wins the prize for 'Most Embarrassing Model on the Table' - his Chieftain is named Tumult the Well Endowed... and was originally painted up for a Slaanesh army....)

Just one battle each tonight - then we go through the after battle routines for the first time - experience and spending funds.

The Auld Grump - we are placing this during the Edge of the Abyss campaign - Varangur victories are counting towards Good - even though they are pretty danged evil.... And Forces of Nature are the only Neutral army in the league, right now.

My undead won - in the last round possible. (The Princess is a freakin' nitwit! If uncontrolled she runs randomly - in this case away from the scary, scary undead that were trying to rescue her, and towards the happy, smiling goblins that wanted to eat her! Then in the last round, she ran straight at my Necromancer, and her rescue was secured.)

I also did a lot more damage to Megan's goblins than I took - she did a very good job of sticking to the objective - and the ones that did the dying were her Grunts - who come back after the battle. She also remembered to spend her Power Dice this time, in particular her spellcaster was a lot more effective.

Looking at the number of dead - it probably looked like I had an easier win than was the actual case - no one cares when a goblin grunt gets killed - not even the goblins.

A bit of an upset on the battle between Julie and Jon - Jon... won, and held all of the power stones. His snow troll pretty much turned the Twilight Kin spellcaster inside out. (An expensive loss for the first game.)

Brotherhood managed to rescue the plans from the dead spy - and then played football, most of the army screening the Quarterback Commander after he retrieved the plans.

Que's Varangur vs. the Abyssals... Evil won. ::P: The Abyssals just barely lost against the Varangur, with the heaviest unit in his warband falling just short of being in range.

Que's leader is an obnoxious figure - a Chaos Warrior type from some company in Germany, I think. Codpiece with a face and a tongue - think Gene Simmons on the tongue.... :unsure:

In the post game sequence - Julie's Crone suffers from Nightmares - losing one from her Nerve. (Which was at least better than being Dead.) Her Exploration turned up a Merchant.

My Revenant has Broken Bones. (Go figure... . <_<) So will miss next game, but will be fine afterwards. In Exploration, I found a Silver Mine.

Those are the ones I remember, I forgot to take the papers with me to go over.... I think Jon found a ruined shop, getting a Common item for free.

Buying equipment is weird in Vanguard - you pay for things twice - Gold when buying the equipment, points when you give the equipment to a figure. So, I bought three heavy weapons, and gave them to the Skeletons when I started - those are just paid for from Points.

But now I have bought three more heavy weapons, and put them in my stores - if and when I lose a skelly the heavy weapon he is carrying will go away, even though a new Skeleton Grunt will take his place, so I want replacements. Those cost me Campaign Gold, and will also cost Points when I add them to the warband. (Leaving my warband at exactly the same Points.)

My Necromancer gained an extra Red Power Die - I tend to use up all my Power, so having more is good. My Healer, Quartermaster are gaining Skills, while my Mauler (the Werewolf) is gaining another Melee die. (The Skills will be rolled in front of the other players.)

Next week is Kings of War.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

By the way - having worked my way through several of their resin models now....

I don't know who makes their resin (the resin, not the casting), but it is quite possibly the best resin that I have ever worked with.

Cleans easily - no chipping, the material is flexible when heated, no pits or bubbles, and holds fine detail well.

If anyone can find out who manufactures the stuff, I can highly recommend it.

The models themselves are well made molds filled, no gaps or exclusions.

And a fairly large model dropped from a fairly high shelf onto a wood floor - and bounced, rather than breaking. (The mind screech made the mistake of being where a Khatt wanted to be.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I thought Mantic started doing resin in house.

They have - but I doubt that they also manufacture the resin that they use.

Which is why I was drawing a distinction between the models (really good), the molding (excellent), and the material (excellent!).

Resin is typically a two part polymer mix - sometimes with added dyes. It is bought from chemical manufacturers to be used when manufacturing miniatures.

Their mold maker is quite good - plenty of gates and venting - allowing the mold to fill with no exclusions. One of the common problems for resin manufacture is the lack of venting - resulting in gaps.

All in all - their results are superior to those of both GW's Finecast and Forgeworld lines. Likely the result of both a superior material and superior casting equipment, with molds by a superior mold designer.

The Auld Grump - this is all from a technical PoV - and has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the models.

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

They have - but I doubt that they also manufacture the resin that they use.

Which is why I was drawing a distinction between the models (really good), the molding (excellent), and the material (excellent!).

Resin is typically a two part polymer mix - sometimes with added dyes. It is bought from chemical manufacturers to be used when manufacturing miniatures.

Their mold maker is quite good - plenty of gates and venting - allowing the mold to fill with no exclusions. One of the common problems for resin manufacture is the lack of venting - resulting in gaps.

All in all - their results are superior to those of both GW's Finecast and Forgeworld lines. Likely the result of both a superior material and superior casting equipment, with molds by a superior mold designer.

The Auld Grump - this is all from a technical PoV - and has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the models.

Finecast was such a disaster from every perspective...

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Finecast was such a disaster from every perspective...

I suspect having a half trained crew is the base problem - they cranked production up past the limits of the equipment, and then cut back on QA... while combining a price increase with going to a less expensive material with quality control issues.

Not the way to roll out the 'new and improved' material.

Heck, look at Ral Partha's attempts with resin... speaking of QA problems.

The Auld Grump