WhiteWulfe

WhiteWulfe Attempted the 7-Day Goblin Challenge - Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition (PICTURE HEAVY)

Congratulations and well done!!

Overall, it looks great, but there are a few elements that especially stand out to me:

•  The armors all look real good. I think it's the way you washed them, but the leathers and the metals both look great. 
  • The terrain is great. I know it's just weathered rock, but it's hard to do that well so it doesn't look bad and also doesn't draw focus. Also, I doubt that anytone who hasn't tried this challenge will realize just how hard that is to do with a size zero.
  • Color schemes. I like how each hero has their own color, but it still looks natural.
  • The dragon scales look great. That's how I wanted mine to look and I couldn't make it happen.
  • I love how some elements of this are always the same. The elf always ends up with shiny kneepads. Sir Purple always ends up purple. etc. :D

I'm very impressed.

Also, a few bits of advice, just from my experience (regrets):

• The dragon WILL slowly fall forward over the next few months. You need to do something about that.
  • Now that the challenge is over, clearcoat those suckers. You may want to leave everything as it was when you finished; you may want to tidy up the details. Either way, make sure you preserve your hard work. (also, dull coat can make the stone look less shiny)
Edited by fectin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, fectin said:

Congratulations and well done!!

Overall, it looks great, but there are a few elements that especially stand out to me:

•  The armors all look real good. I think it's the way you washed them, but the leathers and the metals both look great. 
  • The terrain is great. I know it's just weathered rock, but it's hard to do that well so it doesn't look bad and also doesn't draw focus. Also, I doubt that anytone who hasn't tried this challenge will realize just how hard that is to do with a size zero.
  • Color schemes. I like how each hero has their own color, but it still looks natural.
  • The dragon scales look great. That's how I wanted mine to look and I couldn't make it happen.
  • I love how some elements of this are always the same. The elf always ends up with shiny kneepads. Sir Purple always ends up purple. etc. :D

I'm very impressed.

Many thanks!

- With the armour, I wish I had been able to give it more time, but such is life...  Surprisingly, the leather armour is pretty much just, uhm...  Might have been Woodland Brown, with Secret Weapon's Armor Wash.

- As for the terrain, yeah...  Getting a decent effect WITHOUT visible brush strokes was difficult.  Such things are noticeable in a few areas in the WIP thread, specifically on the lower tower.  Overall, it doesn't detract, but it's noticeable when looking close.  I also wound up refining my technique as I went, and it's most noticeable if one looks from the small staircase (the first piece of terrain done) to the piece under the dragon, where I tried to at least sort of incorporate some better contrast, and had an overall effect I was happier with ^_^;;;

- I do like how in the end, the colour tones not only remained, but like you wrote...  Remained relatively natural and didn't stick out.

- Ahhh, those dragon scales...  Yeah, truthfully, they had me stumped for a bit, but in the end I rather like how the colour is almost irregular with their patterns, which gives a slightly more organic look, at least to me.  I do wish I had gone somewhat more aggressive on the drybrushing ont he wings, and then hadn't dialled it right back down with a wash, but I was rather tired, and there were a number of errand brush strokes that were rather visible, and I wanted to quash them.  That and since I already had Dungeon Grey in my palette, I used that to cover up some of the rubbed off paint, instead of bringing Dragon Black out again.

- I also love how it seems this dragon just feels right as a red dragon.  I originally was aiming for something more towards hot pink, but I'm quite glad with the direction he went.  Didn't know the knight wound up being purple usually ^_^;;;;

30 minutes ago, fectin said:

Also, a few bits of advice, just from my experience (regrets):

• The dragon WILL slowly fall forward over the next few months. You need to do something about that.
  • Now that the challenge is over, clearcoat those suckers. You may want to leave everything as it was when you finished; you may want to tidy up the details. Either way, make sure you preserve your hard work. (also, dull coat can make the stone look less shiny)

- Oh, he has a problem with leaning?  That kinda sucks, since he's glued in place now, hmmmm.

- Clearcoating is something that will happen at.. Uhm.. Some point.  I'll have to buy sealer of some kind first.  As for shiny stone, it's not really all that bad when lights are off, but point a light at it, and yeah, it gets rather shiny like that.

~~~~~

Totally forgot a piece of the terrain in those pictures..  I was really REALLY tired.

P1010622.thumb.JPG.e9cae96ad46b0e50e84e4acb616b29d9.JPGP1010623.thumb.JPG.619ed388a416f8cb82727c19cd3438fc.JPGP1010624.thumb.JPG.c7ee92de90525a8e5a91caae3591008e.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

First and foremost, thanks for all the congrats, and support throughout the whole thing everyone!

On 11/3/2018 at 12:31 PM, fectin said:

Here's one solution: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78100-my-dragons-dont-share/&tab=comments#comment-1656311

I got busy and haven't tried it, but it sounds good.

I'll definitely keep it in mind!  Nothing a cleverly placed pin or two can't fix, doubly so if one gets creative with basing and concealing such things...

On 11/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, CorallineAlgae said:

Amazing! My mind can't even conceive of this result being possible in only seven days. So cool!

Even scarier is the fact that if you factor in the disruptions thanks to surprise contractors, it's down to almost just five days o_O  I lend my success in such to, uhm, well...  Truthfully?  Having put 13 hours of work in on the first day, and another 12 on the second...  Really helped deal with the "ARRRRGGGGGH, I can't actually paint because of vibrating noisy EVERYTHING" on Monday while they ripped apart 60-year old plumbing in the suite below mine (and then came into my suite and ripped up my portion of said plumbing).

It's definitely an... Endeavour, that's for sure.  In some ways, I'd compare it to an Ironman, even though I've never done such, not even one of the shorter triathlons.  Some things you're good at, others can slow you down..  And there's always those few spots that try to not only draaaaag you right down, but they also attempt to make you just throw the proverbial towel in.  Given that I predominately use a size 0 brush, I figured it would be my strongest trait, since one gets a basic idea of how they can "abuse" the brushe's size in various ways (usually overloading paint onto the brush), but eerily I found the strongest was more my ability to reach over, and randomly pick bottles of paint that just "felt right", and not overthink certain processes.

One "really good" example of such would be if you look at how the scales are along the dragon's back, doubly so if compared to the front lower half/torso and chest...  I seem to have figured out how to make the blends between each of the rather drastically different colours (Grey Liner > Kobold Scale > Kobold Scale:Punk Rock Pink > Punk Rock Pink > Heavy Body wash) smoother as I went.

Is it something I'd like to try again, with more time?  Possibly, but I also suspect I'd wind up going with more of a Pezler-styled purple-blue dragon with the occasional pink accent.. Y'know, kind of an iridescence to it, if that makes any sense.  I have been tempted to eventually do up second sets of the heroes though, because I'd like to see what I do with them when it isn't "Riiiiiight, they still need paint" mode and I'm getting tired, even with a bunch of caffeine poured down my throat.

10 hours ago, Iridil said:

Wow - did you ever sleep? :)

Surprisingly?  About eight hours a day, as odd as it may sound.  Day after?  Twelve, and man was I tiiiiiiiiiired on Sunday.  We won't comment about how Monday was, because I think I got something like four hours of sleep for work because my body was trying to switch back into night shift mode without permission.  Oh well.  Tonight should be good for sleep I suspect ^_^

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      Urutaa is a Maori word meaning "pestilence" and "plague" and "fever". It is also a sound that evokes "METAL!". So I will call the whole army Urutaa. Because they kill you FILTHY!
      I bought heavily into the new editon 40k and especially the Death Guard when they were released. At the same time I also bought some Daemons of Nurgle (Starting with the Blightwar set) as I always have been more partial to Nurgle than the other chaos gods and these would be a good fit both for the Death Guard and for my budding Maggotkin army for Age of Sigmar. Or so the self-justification for spending all that money on some rather expensive plastic went.
      And, as usual, I am getting round to them late. I begin with these Plaguebearers to establish the esthetic I would like to have across the army.

How I painted these:
      I started with a grey undercoat, and further undercoated by spray in an orangy leather brown from below and a sandy yellow brown from above. On top of this I painted assorted details in a lot of different colours, mostly purples and reds with a dash of green here and there. Light grey for the horns, dark brown for the claws. Pink for eyes. The weapons were basecoated in Scalecolour Caribbean Blue (a bright turquoise that is more or less the same as citadel nihilakh oxide) and drybrushed heavily with Vallejo Tinny Tin (a dark bronze like the old Citadel Tin Bitz).
      When I had had enough of dotting in bits and slopping on slashes of colour here and there I gave each mini including the weapons a heavy wash of Citadel Druuchi Violet Wash followed immediately when still wet with a moderate to heavy wash of just the head and upper body with Citadel Athonian Camoshade Wash (which is a greenish brown or a brownish green). This has the effect of clearing off much of the violet leaving the filthy green, and also mixing with the violet at the edges, creating a nice gradual colour transition effect.
      I take care to avoid the washes pooling by drawing off most of the pools with a damp brush.
      Also, the violet interacts with the sandy and orangy brown beneath, creating a rather splendig purple tone. It really is much more easy to do than it looks!
      When the washes are dry, I go over some of the details such as eyes and teeth, and add some more colour here and there.
      On the bases, I first glued down some black flock around the feet, and when dry I added a few appropriately dead-looking tufts and my normal flockmix. The effect is to illustrate how they pollute the ground they are walking on.
      I am pleased with the results, it is a slighly more labourious method than I did for my older plaguebearers sometime in the late 1990s (the balow have updated bases and three additional minis painted in the same style to make the legal unit size of 10:)

but is still quite quick and easy, and also looks much better.
    • By WhiteWulfe
      Hi, I'm WhiteWulfe, some say I'm an "insane" fox that can't pass the entrance exam, and others say I'm just nuts.  Ever since finding out about the 7-Day challenges I've wanted to give them a whirl.  Today, this happens.  Originally I wanted to start last night, but my desk was a mess, paints were everywhere, and so I listened to rational..... goblins...? o_O who suggested that maybe I should tidy things up first, get some sleep, and THEN actually start.  Good thing, because tiredness hit a lot earlier last night than I was expecting!

First and foremost, for those not familiar with the rules for such challenges, the official post for them can be found over here, but it basically boils down to "paint absurdly large miniature (or set of minis), in full, in seven days....  WITH A SIZE ZERO BRUSH."  Many thanks to @buglips*the*goblin for starting such delightful insanity, and several others for providing inspiration through their challenges, and awesome to follow threads.  I hope mine is just as fun to read as it goes on.... ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Oh, well, the terrain in Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition (affectionately referred to as DDS2) doesn't look that big in the photos, riiiiight....?

Yeaaaaah, guess again.  it's a decent size.  Okay, my camera isn't the biggest of them all since it is a Panasonic Lumix G85 (G80/G81 in some parts of the world) and that's "only" the Lumix 12-60mm kit lens, but still.  It's BIGGER THAN THE CAMERA in pretty much all dimensions.  12 oz / 355 mL can of cola (Coca-Cola), 20 Oz mason jar, dropper bottle, and Citadel paint pot for size reference.  Same thing with the Kcups - and now you know what a fox likes to drink for his coffee!  Also, that's still a real 8.5" of height on the dragon's wing.  Please note these photos were all dry fitting when I first got the mini, and I wanted to take a few silly pics of this and that, as well as some scale ones, since I hadn't really found any out there other than people saying it's a big mini.

A quick FAQ for those who might be curious....
      Are you nuts?!?!?!  ...Uhm, quite possibly? Why the challenge? Because it seemed fun at the time, and hubby said it sounded like fun. Your spouse said yes?!?!?!!? Yup, he even encouraged it. Why this week in particular? Because I take Samhain / Hallowe'en off pretty much every year, and wanted something to do other than murder all the things in some random game. Why DDS2? Truth be told...  At it's price point, it was the main one that appealed to me.  Khanjira is tempting, sure, but it's more of a kaiju than a dragon, and dragons are awesome.  Ma'al is, uhm, well....  If this goes well, and I get permission to do another, and then a third...  Third ~MIGHT~ be Ma'al.  We shall see.  Kaladrax was an instant no due to not really being available at retail. Your spouse is seriously okay with this?  See a few points back - it was partially his idea!  Do you have an actual game plan? Uhm...  Truthfully?  Other than my theme of "LARPing Gone Wrong - Friday Night at New City"... NOPE.  I do have basic colour schemes, and a plan of attack for day one though, if that counts for much. What's New City?  New City Suburbs was an old hangout I used to frequent on a regular basis...  When it was still downtown.  Been to a few good shows there, had a lot of good times, and sadly, the old theater it was in was demolished and turned into some fancy store or restaurant or something.  Suburbs became Armoury, and it died a terrible death, and sadly we no longer have a goth/punk/EpicAwesomeness bar in town.  I can't say what Friday's event was actually called, so we'll call it "Triple B", and it was always full of awesomeness.  Plus they had a JägerMeister tap machine, which meant I could actually get some of that delicious brown-grey gunk of amazingness. Why the playful jab at LARPing?  ....In all honesty, because a co-worker has been trying for years to get me to come to various LARP events in the area (even as an NPC!), but mainly because of the simple fact that said coworker has been somewhat of a sounding board for various ideas.  Oh, and of course it'll help sort of explain the whole goth raver thing going on. Do you think you'll succeed? I'm aiming for completion.  Will it happen?  Time shall tell if I succeed or fail, but I intend on having fun when going into this, and that's my main goal! What do you hope to learn by doing this? In all honesty?  More speed painting techniques, more tabletop techniques, and arguably most importantly in my eyes the ability to go back to painting a mini and just being happy with it, instead of constantly fiddling with this and that, and taking downright forever to actually get one done.  That and I want an epic dragon of doom to put on our shelves to display!  

^How things looked Friday night, with the ominous wording of "SOONTM".  For the record, that's an 18x12" cutting mat that the box is mostly covering...  And that's just the INSERT box that you can see sticking out of the retail box...

...And so, now, that leaves us here, on Saturday morning...  More or less having gotten enough sleep, or so I hope.....

As a semi-old, not really all that old, but still saying would say...  Pain begins... NOW.

Or, in my case, let doomsday (aka the 7 day challenge) commence!
    • By WhiteWulfe
      They say every army needs it's centerpiece, it's keystone...  It's.... Leader.  Many have glorious names, that warriors will flock to battle under, to defend some sort of principle, moral code, or... Other stuff.

Not this one.  Nope, not him, a warlord who doesn't even bother with a name.  Some say his name was lost to the ages, others say that anyone who dares utter his name winds up meeting an untimely fate.  All that is known, is that the murderous mutant rats under his command are some of the most bloodthirsty out there, and they all speak with a hushed reverence for some critter that's simply known as "Steve", most without realizing Steve is the impaled skull on the warlord's shoulder...

Two things are well known though...  He, and his forces are typically only known by their actions, namely that any town or outpost that they attack, there are no survivors left behind, and an absolutely bloody amount of carnage is left in his wake..

^Originally tried to just use the box art behind him, and keep things relatively tidy, but I was having trouble with my mobile phone's camera hunting for focus, and so after a few attempts I wound up switching to a plain white sheet of paper.  Putting these two up though because a)I like them, and b)the colours turned out fairly close to how the mini is in the real world, at least to my eyes.

This is the first character mini for my "Unrelenting Tide" Skaven army...  Comprised of a combination of the 25th Anniversary Warhammer Fantasy Battles Skaven boxed army set and the Island of Blood miniatures, this is the first miniature I've tried to go further than just tabletop with, and saw what I'll describe as mixed results.  While I did want to try certain techniques such as OSL, I decided as I was going on to simply work on basics such as lining.  Now yes, I could have gone a few more layers on the flames, and especially his lower half, I wound up calling him "done" due to a few things, but mostly because I'd repainted certain parts three or four times and it was getting to the point where I just wanted him finished.  Oddly enough, thanks to some things on him and other minis I'm still working on, I was able to come up with a colour scheme that seemed to just... "click" and work for him.
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)