Sign in to follow this  
joe5mc

Rangers of Shadow Deep - Solo and Cooperative Wargame (by the Creator of Frostgrave)

Hey guys, 

Need a new excuse to use some of those great reaper bones minis? Then this might be of interest.

Now available on RPG Now [Moderator removed commerce link.]

Rangers of Shadow Deep Cover (Small).jpg

Edited by Froggy the Great
Removed commerce link.
  • Like 8

I've picked this up because I love Frostgrave and this is the same author and  based on that system. Not done reading it yet but if anybody wants a tabletop skirmish with rpg elements, this has a very Ranger of the North from Lord of the Rings vibe.  Also nice that it is co-operative and solo-able.

• Like 1

I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard about it. I'll be getting it soon.

• Like 3

Joe,

I’m predisposed to like this based on your work on Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago, but info is a little thin.

How many Ranger/follower figures will be in play?

What sort of monster collection would be needed to provide the opposition?

If my club elects to try this as a group effort, will playing it at home present a problem with spoilers?

Thanks!

• Like 2

There is going to be a video play through tomorrow from Guerilla Miniatures Games, which will give you lots of details. Until then - each player plays a ranger and it can handle up to four players. Each player has a number of companions based on the number of players (1 player will have up to 7 companions, if 4 players, they have a max of 1 each). 

For the most part I've tried to keep the monsters pretty generic. For mission 1 (2 scenarios) you'll need zombies, giant rats, and giant spiders (or any proxies that make you happy).  Mission 2 (3 scenarios) mostly features gnolls (although orcs will work fine).

The first 3 missions (so 8 scenarios) have nothing to 'spoil'.  The final mission, with a potential 9 scenarios does. So if you want to give a try, play the first three missions solo, but save the big one for the group.

• Like 4

Watched the GMG vid last night, very pumped. Looking forward to destroying my kids lol!!!! ^_^

Edited by Lithian

One of the biggest differences is the inclusion of skills. So in most games, there are skills rolls that either effect how the table is set-up, or how you interact with the table during the game. 

Worth watching the GMG video if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPikm35IKNM

The Print on Demand version is now available for those that are interested.