Lord of the Dish Pit

The Purification of November, Witch Hunters and Mice

Even as the forces of Old Night remain on the painting table, stalwart souls rise up to receive paint and do battle against them. Also there are mice. A lot of mice, who have been very patiently waiting on the table for almost a year now to be completed. Seeing as how the Thanksgiving season has room for festive rodents alongside bad*** gun slinging pilgrims of faith and fury, this month's WIP will be dedicated to both.

100_0653.JPG.60b65d1a252106ea9b291040e4db6681.JPG

The Witch Hunter Captain is a Mordheim mini that I started 14 years ago. (I feel old now) He's mostly completed and it's interesting to look at him and see just how far I'd gotten skill wise and compare my best work of then to my work now. I've levelled up a bit, but what I was able to accomplish with the GW paint pots which I'd never mastered the art of mixing colors with, rather suprised me.

The mice to the front left are two of the three Thanksgiving Mouslings and the only actual Thanksgiving minis I have. The Pilgrim Mouse I did manage to get done last November as well as a few from the Mousling Tavern set. The others will be in the first batch not only because they have been very patient with me, but because they're also almost done and I've already squandered a bit of time this month getting my sleep schedule sorted out. 

• Like 13

100_0665.JPG.ff39db4808c634a4354af5acd429b136.JPG

While finishing the Pumpkin Knights, I began going over the unpainted parts of the captain. His pistol is Russet Brown/Harvest Brown with the barrel done in Gunmetal Blue, his torch is also Harvest Brown and his gloves are Stormy Grey. While I plan on leaving his clothing and skin the way it is, I'm going to do a little more highlighting on the hat and sash as well as repainting the sword. I also really wish younger me had not undercoated the flames in black...

100_0666.JPG

• Like 8

You really don't have to limit yourself to that tiny base the miniature came with. The rules for Mordheim don't specify any particular size or shape, & very few folk use the old bases...including G.W..

The Old Lady Burner would look splendid on a nice round 30/32 mm base with some room for scenicing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, malefactus said:

You really don't have to limit yourself to that tiny base the miniature came with. The rules for Mordheim don't specify any particular size or shape, & very few folk use the old bases...including G.W..

The Old Lady Burner would look splendid on a nice round 30/32 mm base with some room for scenicing.

I hadn't thought of that. Basing is one of those things I keep telling myself to pay more attention to, but I never seem to get around to doing so. But I do have some 1" bases laying about, and the smaller one would be useful elsewhere....

• Like 2

Games Workshop minis are also a lot more stable, and can be given better poses if you move them up to 25mm (or even 32mm) round bases :) 

Those old 20mm squares were... Difficult to work with (it's like they were designed for armies to be put into movement trays and left there o_O) 

• Like 2

The Witch Hunter has been moved to his new base, and several coats of Orange Brown applied to the torch.

100_0679.JPG.11d519ca91b53c585a1624f4fce80e3e.JPG

The red parts were given Black Wash and a highlight of Red Gore, the sword was gone over in Rainy Gray.

100_0682.JPG.1b32e384433dc28d691905c4a562ce0d.JPG

He still needs eyes and teeth.

The brown Mouslings were gone over with a coat of Brown Wash followed by a drybrushing of Harvest Brown, Harvest Brown/Blonde Shadow mix then Blonde Shadow.

100_0683.JPG.e4b1a72eff4a2541de9af2ede550df53.JPG

The musicians had their vests done in Red Gore with a wash of Druchii Violet, and Pavement Gray on the bases. Instruments were picked out with Balthazar Gold.

100_0684.JPG.5d2d243dcf4a56ee04ca1fa1fca74a1a.JPG

100_0685.JPG.a92e55c09a04ed858a32fb516dc9c492.JPG

100_0686.JPG.60ce8df1c817fcabcfca3d928f889ca6.JPG

100_0687.JPG.955c1b8405cd2a41d81066d50860439b.JPG

100_0688.JPG.f5ba70e1d928b7dc10230022ed195dd3.JPG

The Gray mice were given a drybrushing of Misty Gray.

100_0689.JPG.7311c5017d6a871541e6ffa705b883fd.JPG

So far just Brown Wash has been applied to the Indian's vest and Ms. Pilgrim just needs highlighting and details.

100_0690.JPG.cae7d1f6319f38332a77a07db99a63b1.JPG

100_0681.JPG

• Like 9

The first batch of Mouslings is now in Show Off, and the Witch Hunter Captain just needs his hair and base done. Up next...

100_0693.JPG.52f8fabc69898ce187b95af366863971.JPG

The Bones Mouslings I refer to as the "Eternal Mice" as I've painted these guys 3 or 4 times now. (they're my usual go to gift ideas) Behind them are the male and female Ripper Witch Hunters from the Savage Worlds line. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Definitely looks better on the bigger base. Also, love those old witch hunter minis! 

Yep, one of the things I annually kick myself about is not picking up the box sets of them and the Sisters of Sigmar before they went out of production.

The uphill part of the Mouslings is done. By which I mean the drybrushing of the fur.

100_0704.JPG.23587ecf3455fe9adbf83977712d081a.JPG

The Princess and the Beekeeper started out with a base coat of Harvest Brown and Misty Gray. Then came the Black Wash and a drybrushing of the base colors followed by a Harvest Brown/Golden Brown mix, then Blonde Shadow and Blond Hair as highlights. The Princess's hair is based in Auburn Shadow. I attempted to have a two tone fur pattern on most of the mice and for the most part I'm happy with it although the Beekeeper didn't come out exactly as I had planned. Hopefully once I add the noses and eyes things will come together a bit more.

100_0705.JPG.a6bb87e9909bd1949e8ca6610b482e51.JPG

This group was mostly based in Cloudy Grey and Misty Gray underfur on the Samurai. The Samurai's hair and the Wizard's Beard began with Stormy Grey. Black Wash followed by Misty Grey and Pure White brought up the highlights. I might go back over the snouts of the King and Wizard to lighten them a bit more.

100_0706.JPG.cab6c5fde3b89dd804beed78db919d03.JPG

The Druid was the easiest, base of Misty Gray, Black Wash, Misty Gray drybrush then Pure White. 

100_0707.JPG.66852e6d530bd75c0b7de9f1257bdb3b.JPG

The Witch Hunters were given another coat of Pure Black undercoat where needed, some Flesh Wash on the skin, and Blonde Shadow on the hair, also thier eyes were blocked in with Linen White. 

• Like 7

The majority of the mice now have most of their clothing based in.

100_0708.JPG.cbfb1a54cc873480f21002b36c463ed6.JPG

It helps that I always paint them in the same colors...

100_0709.JPG.d4e95ee33a7f4687fff21e008e92a9a3.JPG

100_0710.JPG.0aead27803ef80aa479a3cf0185d9cd1.JPG

As I was looking over my shelf I remembered that this Ral Partha (I think) Witch Hunter I painted a while back didn't come with one of his arms. So I went thru my old Mordheim bits and gave him one. Unfortunately gluing in on was not the easy process I'd hoped for and some of the base coating on the arm got worn off. The angle luckily worked out realistically enough. I was suprised to find that other than the Bones Village Rioter, this guy was the only Witch Hunter I'd had completed. But he'll be getting some new friends shortly, the other older ones got a dip in simple green and we'll be seeing them emerge over the next few weeks. 

100_0711.JPG.42eb44ce316b9a2f465cd1685eb1b7de.JPG

The Savage Worlds Witch Hunters have had a base of Bronzed Flesh applied to the sections of clothing that will be white. 

• Like 4