allergies

Reaper HD paint label fading

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to protect the new yellow label paint bottles from fading. I tried to use gloss varnish, but that seemed to rub the name off the label. Any advice?

I have a less sophisticated solution -- I copy over the info with a fine tip sharpie when it fades.  Some labels fade and some don't, it's hard to predict.  

• Like 6

Mine faded because I stored them too tight in a caddy and it rubs off.

I printed new labels and applied scotch tape.

It helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

I have a less sophisticated solution -- I copy over the info with a fine tip sharpie when it fades.  Some labels fade and some don't, it's hard to predict.  

This is what I do.

• Like 1

You can also just put a small amount of the paint on the cap.

Never got it with the names on some paints.

"What color did you use with your Angel's wings?"

"Uh... Maggot Death Decay White with a touch of Albino Dark Elf Drow NIghthaunt Shade outlined with NMM New Greedy Sparkle Gold Highlight."

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 11/5/2018 at 1:59 PM, ladystorm said:

they are thermally printed.

avoid heat or direct sun.

Mine are stored in neither a sunny place nor a "hot" place.... and I have several bottles that are still fading.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:21 PM, ced1106 said:

You can also just put a small amount of the paint on the cap.

Never got it with the names on some paints.

"What color did you use with your Angel's wings?"

"Uh... Maggot Death Decay White with a touch of Albino Dark Elf Drow NIghthaunt Shade outlined with NMM New Greedy Sparkle Gold Highlight."

When you keep a paint journal of which colors you used to paint something, in case you need to touch it up down the road or paint another, I can't write down "third white from the left on the bottom shelf 4 bottles away from the first semi-light gray color" lol. It helps to have a number, not so much a name, attached to the paints that are used for each project.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, starwarsgeek said:

Mine are stored in neither a sunny place nor a "hot" place.... and I have several bottles that are still fading.

That's just the way thermal printing goes.  I've seen it happen on some older receipts and event tickets that were faded beyond legibility.

The tickets were keepsakes, the receipts were simply clutter.  I don't know why I feel the need to explain that.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 12:59 PM, ladystorm said:

they are thermally printed.

avoid heat or direct sun.

I'm betting it's not cost effective so I completely understand but I wish they were printed on something that didn't fade like that. No worries. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

I'm betting it's not cost effective so I completely understand but I wish they were printed on something that didn't fade like that. No worries. 

I don't know if cost is the reason for Reaper's fading labels, but I would happily pay a bit more for paint with a label that does not become unreadable within a few months.   My older Reaper paints and Army Painter paints did not have this problem so I was surprised when the print vanished on all my newer Reaper paints.  I had not gone over labels with more permanent ink before some faded completely.  Thus i have several bottles that I am not sure what the exact color is.  

Edited by ferret
  • Like 1