Sign in to follow this  
Orlando_the_Technicoloured

Claustrophobia 1643 kickstarter by Monolith

This goes live today (i'll add a link when it does)

pic4359583.jpg

(almost complete pre-production image, minor changes possible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkFwekye_zQ

unboxing of the game

(now if you want tiles for a dungeon crawl this looks a good deal)

this is a reprint of the well regarded boardgame  Caustrophobia (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia) and it's first expansion with all new art assets and minis (unpainted)

Monolith has already manufactured the game so it will be limited to 10,000 copies *I;ve asked and there are spares to cope with loss/damage during delivery)and deliveries are scheduled for January so minimal risk so ideal is you want to KS but worry about getting stung (but on the other hand if you don't like KS as a shop probably not for you)

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 1

Rumour has it that they've included the old De Profundis expansion in the new core box as well.

Wait. There were two other expansions as well? I never saw them in stock anywhere.

The old Claustrophobia was heavily overproduced (prepainted minis, overly complicated plastic trays to put the character cards in etc). I'm not complaining. It just had a lot more work put into it than was necessary. It also had the Space Hulk problem where the humans always lost (until you worked out some very specific ways of playing it). My local group never worked out how to make the humans win but we only tried a few games. I wouldn't mind dragging it out to try again some time soon.

• Like 3

Boardgamers like dashboards at the moment, that pretty clear from the comments in most of the KS I've been involved with in the last year or two.

cards alone aren't cool enough so this is a way to provide that without resorting to a plastic dashboard with plastic pin to mark stat values to hold a portrait card

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HornedTurtle said:

I don't get the reason for boards and sheets.

Well the original game had something similar (but much more clunky). Clunky in that, once assembled, they could not be put back in the box. Apparently someone found a simple way to modify them.

The original plastic dashboard things the character sheets slotted into were huge. And this was back in 2009!

pic1064016.thumb.jpg.7bd9f2dfebdb7aaea14f348067776d13.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of thought has been integrated in the new design.  Many aren't excited about the art but I find the art fantastic and the tile design superior.   Not the classic Kickstarter as game is completely designed and ships in two months. They made ten thousand units and about eight thousand are claimed for.  Pretty reasonable too.  Also two player format will lend well for two players to play as humans and monsters and then switch after each game. Like that concept. 

• Like 2

This was an interesting experiment for a Kickstarter.  Ten day campaign that stopped generating interest after three days.  Final day saw nothing happen at all.   They were (presumably) left short about 2300 games that they have already produced.  Maybe they will end up going retail after all.

So a company using kickstarter as a store doesn't work?  Or was it this project in particular?  Personally I suspect the latter. 

The visual presentation of this project didn't really grab me and it is only a two player game.  There are so many kickstarter board games with miniatures this year and I already feel I've used up my enthusiasm unless something works hard to keep my attention.

Plus no pledge manager so they are essentially saying you have to decide now.  I bet with a pledge manager they could have drawn in a few more fence sitters. 

The unexpected appearance of enthusiastic supporter MisterShamWOW here on the last day certainly raised my eyebrows and didn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in Monolith. 

• Like 1

I would wager that ending the campaign so close to black friday also might have something to do with this game not selling out. This really is not the time of year to be running KS campaings.

• Like 2

No stretch goals. Just selling. They provided a sort of half arsed attempt at maintaining interest but they basically should have put out more exciting updates. I've stayed in (because I've still got my old copy and I know how bad the crappy prepaints were the first time 'round).

4 hours ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

The unexpected appearance of enthusiastic supporter MisterShamWOW here on the last day certainly raised my eyebrows and didn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in Monolith. 

This is too funny.:lol:

MisterShamWOW is actually my cousin.

I got him hooked on Kickstarter with Bones 4 and he’s been enthusiastically backing projects pretty steadily ever since.

I’ve been trying to get him to be more active on the Reaper forums as he and his daughter, and her friends, have developed an interest in minis and gaming.

He’s not connected to this project in any other way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

This is too funny.:lol:

MisterShamWOW is actually my cousin.

I got him hooked on Kickstarter with Bones 4 and he’s been enthusiastically backing projects pretty steadily ever since.

I’ve been trying to get him to be more active on the Reaper forums as he and his daughter, and her friends, have developed an interest in minis and gaming.

He’s not connected to this project in any other way.

That's weird.  MisterShamWOW is my cousin too...

• Confused 5