Jump to content

absinthe

Question on the Miniture Sizes

Recommended Posts

Hello, I was wondering where the scale information is on models such as "Bile the Wyvern", or is it just me missing something? Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 25mm is the tallest a miniature could be, or are there bigger sizes.. I would like to purchase these as a hobbyist, not so much to play with them.

I am quite new to this community, so please bare with me. Thanks guys!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, absinthe said:

Hello, I was wondering where the scale information is on models such as "Bile the Wyvern", or is it just me missing something? Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 25mm is the tallest a miniature could be, or are there bigger sizes.. I would like to purchase these as a hobbyist, not so much to play with them.

I am quite new to this community, so please bare with me. Thanks guys!

 

Welcome to the Forum!

Enjoy your stay!

 

Most Reaper Minis are more 28mm to 32mm nowadays.

Heroic scale. Means compatible with stuff like Games Workshop, Mantic etc./

If you visit the store you will notice a letter depicting the material M = metal , B=Bones ( a kind of plastic) the letter can be used to measure the size.

 

Look here for the official info:

 

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80395-how-tall-is-that-mini/

 

 

image.png.47cb0f8035db42a4bcb53a2b207e66ad.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the older pictures have little triangles on the side, marking 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch. 

 

In the special edition section of reaper's site you'll find a few holiday minis that are as big as 72mm scale. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the specifically mentioned wyvern, it appears it doesn't have Bryangles or the newer 1/4" tall letter "M", but it looks like it comes on a 2" base, and I'd guesstimate it being at roughly 4" tall. 

 

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wyvern/latest/14260

 

 

Aha!  Found a post where someone had measured them: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/25568-14260-bile-the-wyvern-size/

 

Approximately 4 1/4" tall, with a 5" wingspan :)

 

 

Some of Reaper's minis are rather sizeable (Ma'al, the dragon and terrain in "Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition both spring to mind), while others are under an inch tall (familiars, giant rats, etc).  Like others have mentioned, thankfully there are sizing guides you can go by for most of the miniatures :) 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sizes...   

Miniatures comes in all shapes and sizes... really...

 

But as you've probably noticed, they don't list a '1:72' or '1:35' value that's easy to understand. 

 

'28mm scale' means that a mini of a 'typical' (male?) human in that scale is 28mm tall from the bottom of their feet to their eyes. 

'atypical' humans, giants, dwarves, dragonsnack(gnomes), elves and monsters can be taller or shorter, but still be considered the same 'scale'. 

 

25 / 28mm seems to be the most videly used, with 32mm a good second place. 

15/20mm is popular for some wargames with large units, and even down to 6mm scale is used for infantry.    

 

54 and 75mm very rarely used for gaming, and is mostly for display.   

(There are also often made of resin, not Pewter or Reaper's Bonesium plastic)

 

Those are scales, though. 

A 28mm SCALE giant may actually be larger than a 54mm scale human.  

 

Take a look at the topics in the kickstarter section, or the 'Aquisitions' thread in the Off-Topic section, and you'll find all sizes of minis show up regularly.

 

 

Also, WELCOME!

Don't feed Buglips the Goblin, check your sanity at the login prompt, and have a good time. 

Feel free to post in the Show off and WIP sections, and remember that we like pictures. The more the better.   

 

Purple text means some sort of joke.    

(This is expanded on in a thread in the Off-topic section)

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your help and for the really warm welcome, I really got more than I expected! 

I am excited to start and will be sure to share. Regards!

 

P.s. Do I have to close the thread or anything if I am satisfied, also happens to be the first time on a forum...

Edited by absinthe
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, absinthe said:

Thank you all for your help and for the really warm welcome, I really got more than I expected! 

I am excited to start and will be sure to share. Regards!

 

P.s. Do I have to close the thread or anything if I am satisfied, also happens to be the first time on a forum...

 

Nope, the thread sticks around unless a mod thinks its gotta go. This is a fine post ^_^ Welcome! 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, absinthe said:

Hello, I was wondering where the scale information is on models such as "Bile the Wyvern", or is it just me missing something? [...snip...]

I would like to purchase these as a hobbyist, not so much to play with them...

 

@absinthe I have an unpainted but assembled model of him. Do you need a picture?

 

The dimensions given higher up are about right. 

 

@Everybody ...this sort of thing crops up regularly, maybe we ought to start a Thread for posting scale of things pictures?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

@absinthe I have an unpainted but assembled model of him. Do you need a picture?

 

The dimensions given higher up are about right. 

 

@Everybody ...this sort of thing crops up regularly, maybe we ought to start a Thread for posting scale of things pictures?

 

Posed in front of an inch or centimeter grid, and / or with a ruler laid out in front of, above, or behind them, and / or next to others for comparison, I am thinking.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Sizes...   

Miniatures comes in all shapes and sizes... really...

 

But as you've probably noticed, they don't list a '1:72' or '1:35' value that's easy to understand. 

 

'28mm scale' means that a mini of a 'typical' (male?) human in that scale is 28mm tall from the bottom of their feet to their eyes. 

'atypical' humans, giants, dwarves, dragonsnack(gnomes), elves and monsters can be taller or shorter, but still be considered the same 'scale'. 

 

25 / 28mm seems to be the most videly used, with 32mm a good second place. 

15/20mm is popular for some wargames with large units, and even down to 6mm scale is used for infantry.    

 

54 and 75mm very rarely used for gaming, and is mostly for display.   

(There are also often made of resin, not Pewter or Reaper's Bonesium plastic)

 

Those are scales, though. 

A 28mm SCALE giant may actually be larger than a 54mm scale human.  

 

Take a look at the topics in the kickstarter section, or the 'Aquisitions' thread in the Off-Topic section, and you'll find all sizes of minis show up regularly.

 

 

Also, WELCOME!

Don't feed Buglips the Goblin, check your sanity at the login prompt, and have a good time. 

Feel free to post in the Show off and WIP sections, and remember that we like pictures. The more the better.   

 

Purple text means some sort of joke.    

(This is expanded on in a thread in the Off-topic section)

 

I would say that, in the current market, 32mm and even 35mm sculpts are coming to substantially outnumber 28mm. (A number of so-called 28mm sculpts are actually what was once adorably labeled "heroic" 28mm, which was really 30-32mm.)

 

I will certainly agree that these imprecise, and largely inaccurate scales are maddening.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

Posed in front of an inch or centimeter grid, and / or with a ruler laid out in front of, above, or behind them, and / or next to others for comparison, I am thinking.

 

 

Comparison pics are more useful because the height of a model doesn't tell you how bulky it is or how exaggerated the features are.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

 

Comparison pics are more useful because the height of a model doesn't tell you how bulky it is or how exaggerated the features are.

Exactly this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, absinthe said:

Thank you all for your help and for the really warm welcome, I really got more than I expected! 

I am excited to start and will be sure to share. Regards!

 

P.s. Do I have to close the thread or anything if I am satisfied, also happens to be the first time on a forum...

 

Don't forget to browse the different sections of this forum.

There is much to be seen, learned and enjoyed here.

 

I'm looking forward to see your work.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

Posed in front of an inch or centimeter grid, and / or with a ruler laid out in front of, above, or behind them, and / or next to others for comparison, I am thinking.

 

 

5 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

 

Comparison pics are more useful because the height of a model doesn't tell you how bulky it is or how exaggerated the features are.

Why not both? Sir Forscale can introduce us to new friends, while standing on a grid. ^_^ 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×