I absolutely love your reptile theme. YAY scaly critters! Paint the monstrous min!! GO MORI! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

AAAAHHH!

… I was wondering what all the lizard and snake photos were about in the Discord... this is going to be AWESOME!

*quietly sets up the tea bar and settles in to spectate*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As you might have noticed form my Lost World project I love reptiles and I also use nature for reference.

Lizards, Snakes, Topical Fish and Birds provide many beautiful examples for painting minis.

Good call!

I love the waterfall idea!

Awsome project, good luck!

TIP: for a piece like this don't use the liquid water effects.

Use a paste like Vallejo Water Effects.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 4:31 PM, Pegazus said:

Love the waterfall. Going to steal that so hard. Eventually. 

Steal away! ::D: I vaguely remember starting a thread a long time ago full of ideas that I had but didn't have time for haha. 

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

As you might have noticed form my Lost World project I love reptiles and I also use nature for reference.

Lizards, Snakes, Topical Fish and Birds provide many beautiful examples for painting minis.

Good call!

I love the waterfall idea!

Awsome project, good luck!

TIP: for a piece like this don't use the liquid water effects.

Use a paste like Vallejo Water Effects.

Thank you! I appreciate tips for all of these things, especially water effects!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, LordDave said:

this is exciting.  you are going to kill this!!

Ahhh thank you! Did you ever post yours to the forums? I loved seeing it on FB but I didn't see it here.

• Like 2

Do any of these parts look sufficiently mossy to y'all? I am requesting texture help - I know that the edges and placement of the moss will help sell it but I want to get the texture right first.

IMG_20181110_160639660.thumb.jpg.b2a7f5d18c66b43e359287334464d37c.jpg

In other news, I'm done rescaling and gapfilling body! Yay! 

• Like 15

I tried making the moss a little lumpier and softer. I'm not fully settled on it yet, but I suspect that it will read better once it's been painted and in the proper areas. I'll be spending a ton of time on the base over the next several weeks. Lots of little things to sculpt! I'm really excited about it. ::D:

image.png.3708294ba5fc178c958a6757c0a749f2.png

After about 11 hours, I've finally finished gap filling and cleaning up! It was lots of little areas like this. If I did it right, you shouldn't be able to tell which scales got added....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/511317947306868737/pixlr_20181111164747083.jpg

It took another hour to prime him. His heads and wings have been lightly tacked on so I can get an overall view of him. He's also not attached to the base.

The next step is to ask friends for help before adding the white primer. Where do you think the light sources are? I'm thinking that I should do at least two different spots.

I've also gone around a few Ma'al threads and searched for lighting ideas there too.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/511318940723576834/IMG_20181111_163609415.jpg

Dragon Prep: 11 hours

Dragon Painting: 1 hour

• Like 16

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      Several friends helpfully pointed out that before I started throwing wild ideas at Ma'al's base, I should probably practice them somewhere else first. That base is on my February list, so I gotta get practicing!

Blightfang:
      - Completely covered giant base.
      - No integrated parts. I chopped 'em off.
      - Water with a "live" edge!
      - The first dragon I owned, blessed upon me by my first Box of Goodwill group, and a perfect fit for a Silversage dragon.

Narthrax:
      - Plain, round, smaller base.
      - Rocks from his original base are staying.
      - Probably no water.
      - He's just plain cool. He's gonna be my Boelen's python!

I used PVA glue to put the cork together, and hot glued everything to the bases. Thank you for your sacrifices, peanut butter and pickle lids!

I fell in love with Paepercut's youtube channel after @Clearman mentioned it in my Ma'al thread. Y'all. That guy is SO COOL. The vast majority of the things I'll be doing here are from his videos. And if I don't think they are, they probably still are because I'm forgetful like that.   Onward!

Actually. Onward in a little bit. I gotta go check out the nearest store and see if they have distilled water for the next steps. Be right back!
    • By Morihalda
      I live! I spent January making lots of little art that piqued my interest to get back into making art frequently again!

I painted a friend's Heroforge mini. It's quite grainy compared to metal minis but goodness, has it gotten so much better. I also have a rough camera adding additional graininess. It's hard to see here, but the vast majority of his robes are in Leather White. Pure White was only used for the extreme highlights, like on the potion bottle. The red also has green in the shadows. I'm learning!

I painted our entire set of the Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeons and Mines tiles!
      This was an in progress photo. I realized the moment after I packed everything perfectly back into the boxes that I didn't get a completed photo.

Some finished pieces before repacking them up. Bless this sculptor, y'all. I drybrushed my way through all this while rewatching the Office and everything looks heckin' great because of these amazing textures!

I painted the new Bones Black Owlbear. I had to give it antlers, of course! This was a fun accidental exercise in almost monochrome. It's all purple but I intentionally chose some blue purples and red purples. The darkest color used was Nightshade Purple and the brightest was Snowdrift White. There's more variation in the white but I struggle with this camera phone. I'm really liking how solid it feels but I haven't tried testing it the way they tested the original Bones at conventions. :) 

It also made for a really pretty palette!

Lastly (though it was the first in the timeline), I sewed some velvet bags for our new favorite game, The Quacks of Quedlinburg. I think it helped me get back into my art groove because I got excited about a thing, wanted to make something related to it, and already had the skills for it. I wanted it and I got it!

They're not stellar photos, but a cheap lightbox certainly brought this camera up to mediocre. 

• By Painting Miniatures
      whoo this one took me 10 hours, likely because I am still new at this. Now, I know I could of just painted it as this pretty copper dragon and been happy with that. But this miniature is intended for a random encounter in a D&D campaign where the party encounters the dragon broken up into several dozen pieces then is encouraged to take it home with them and start trying to repair it. Thus the less than perfect paint job, the dirt so on so forth as the pieces are supposed to be dirty. I thought the wings turned out interesting with the black wash.

• By Cygnwulf
      Everyone, meet Viridius.  

He's a hefty boi.  No Ma'al or Kalladrax, but still pretty big. He doesn't even fit in my light box, as you can see.   
      I've thought a long time about how I was going to paint him up, I don't think I'm going to go with the standard green dragon look.  Instead I'm going to take my inspiration from the time of year, and make him an autumn forest dragon, whose coloration changes with the forest around him.   So I'll be doing him in mostly golden yellows to oranges and reds, but keeping some greenish tones as the base of scales and other places, to kind of give a reminder of the verdent glory he was before.

One thing I'm choosing to see as an opportunity is that the tops of his wings are very smooth, ideal for some freehand work.  The question is, what to do?  Some kind of leaf like pattern, or perhaps a butterfly like eye pattern (in the leaf colors, of course)

Out of the box bag he was in pretty good shape.  The usual mold line cleanup, though he has some gaps that will need to be filled.  I followed up with reshaping the wings a little with some boiling water.  I forgot to get a complete before picture, but below you can see the before and after for the right wing

I've had to fully assemble him, I don't like the way the wing joins look without greenstuff, so that's going to be the first order of business.  So painting around the wings might be a chore, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before (Although, not in recent history)

I begain the gapfill on the right side, but after sticking a finger in greenstuff twice and having to flip him back to touch up the texture, I decided to call it a night and do the left side gaps later.

• By Kangaroorex
      I Don't have much to go on with this dragon.  its another one that has been sitting half finished on my shelf forever.  the bottom has some script on the bottom that looks like FWS and an 8.  other than that I don't have any clue where it comes from. 

but I finally dusted the mini off, freshened up the red (It was becoming a pink dragon) and decided to display it here.  hope everyone enjoys!

• Who's Online   11 Members, 1 Anonymous, 161 Guests (See full list)