Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

How to seal bases when creating underwater scene?

Hi,

I have used still water and water effects before for shallow water bases etc.

Mostly it was confined so it wouldn't spill out.

I have plans for more elaborate scenic bases / dioramas using resin to create water / under water scenes.

My main question is how to seal the bases off properly so the resin won't leak.

Of course for square bases it is kinda easy.

I can get plasticard seal it with tape etc.

But..

How about a round base?

What can I use to make sure the resin will stay on the base and won't leak out with a round base?

I want it to be a bit deeper to show off fish and such.

And it will be water all around so the edge of the base would be water.

Any ideas, suggestions?

And what is a good thing to use, to protect the resin from sticking to plasticard or whatever I should be using?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

I would suggest round cooking silicone molds

To prevent the resin from sticking to the mold i think (but no sure) some spray unlocker should work.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

I would suggest round cooking silicone molds

To prevent the resin from sticking to the mold i think (but no sure) some spray unlocker should work.

Good idea. But that would limit the base size to the size of those molds.

What if I use a 20mm round base for instance, I'm looking for something I can cut to size, if possible with round bases.

For a square base I think the plasticraft / plasticard stuff will work.

3 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

You may find molds of every size, in metal usually:

s-l225.jpg.270c08cc9028829ba9ce24108e1c8936.jpg

Ah, That might be useful!

Thank you!

• Like 1

I assume you're rolling something around the base, so the tube/mold part is taken care of.  How about some actual sealant--silicone caulk or the like?  If you have a fairly water-tight clay or putty (plumber's putty comes to mind as it shouldn't absorb liquids easily), you can wrap your base, press it into the putty so it blocks the edge of your plasticard, and pull the mini and tube out later. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BLZeebub said:

I assume you're rolling something around the base, so the tube/mold part is taken care of.  How about some actual sealant--silicone caulk or the like?  If you have a fairly water-tight clay or putty (plumber's putty comes to mind as it shouldn't absorb liquids easily), you can wrap your base, press it into the putty so it blocks the edge of your plasticard, and pull the mini and tube out later. 

Thank you!

54 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

You are welcome, let us see the result 

Soon...

I will start with something small and then work up to a bigger project if it works.

But first I need to finish my Yeti project.

• Like 2

I've done some cool stuff with small amounts of resin, mostly for jewelry.  You can sometimes use packing tape to make a barrier, especially if it's attached to something smooth like metal or plastic.  Wood would be trickier.  

That said, I was reminded of Corporea's cowboy diorama, where the layer of resin wasn't super thick, but it was on a wood base and it was rounded.  I remember her documenting the resin pouring process a bit, and issues she had with leaks.  I think she ended up using clay of some sort to make the edge.  

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48238-corporeas-desk-of-progress/&do=findComment&comment=862090

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I've done some cool stuff with small amounts of resin, mostly for jewelry.  You can sometimes use packing tape to make a barrier, especially if it's attached to something smooth like metal or plastic.  Wood would be trickier.  

That said, I was reminded of Corporea's cowboy diorama, where the layer of resin wasn't super thick, but it was on a wood base and it was rounded.  I remember her documenting the resin pouring process a bit, and issues she had with leaks.  I think she ended up using clay of some sort to make the edge.  

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48238-corporeas-desk-of-progress/&do=findComment&comment=862090

Thank you.

I want to do something like this only with a round base.

image.png.a3404dbceab85d36f9ab2aea8a6b40a3.png

• Like 4

I would make a cylinder around the base (or a wooden dowel of the same diameter as your base) with your preferred material (thinking 1mm thick sheet styrene heated with a hair dryer/heat gun to bend it around the shape). Use hot glue to seal any gaps and attach the dam to the base.  Mix and pour the resin to the depth you need.  You can sand the resin with finer grits of sandpaper and then do a final polish (google how to remove headlight fogging if you need a visualization)  to remove or clean up a line or scratch.  

Edit:  A quick google search turned up several different release/non-stick options from things like commercial non-stick aerosols to everyday household items.  This site had several options: http:// https://epoxyworks.com/index.php/what-you-can-do-if-you-dont-want-epoxy-to-stick/

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bloodhowl said:

I would make a cylinder around the base (or a wooden dowel of the same diameter as your base) with your preferred material (thinking 1mm thick sheet styrene heated with a hair dryer/heat gun to bend it around the shape). Use hot glue to seal any gaps and attach the dam to the base.  Mix and pour the resin to the depth you need.  You can sand the resin with finer grits of sandpaper and then do a final polish (google how to remove headlight fogging if you need a visualization)  to remove or clean up a line or scratch.  

Edit:  A quick google search turned up several different release/non-stick options from things like commercial non-stick aerosols to everyday household items.  This site had several options: http:// https://epoxyworks.com/index.php/what-you-can-do-if-you-dont-want-epoxy-to-stick/

Awesome!

Thx!