Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

[Pathfinder?] Fantasy Cop Campaign - Thoughts?

Moving this out of the Unpainted WizKids minis thread -

On 10/28/2018 at 10:25 PM, haldir said:

Gf9 Xanathar

71073.jpg

Also the new W:DH one looks more like the hardcover of his name then the old gf9 mini. 

On 11/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

I had a dream that I was running a fantasy police game with that miniature as the police chief....

And apparently animated by the same team that made the aliens for the old Space Precinct TV show.

The Auld Grump - now get out there and find the killer, before he kills again!

19 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I can see you running that.

D20 Modern?

I hadn't even thought of D20 Modern - I was picturing a pseudo-mediaeval game, kind of like the Night Watch in Discworld.

And, in my head, the beholder is now named Captain James Casey - 3rd Precinct. Born in Hell's Kitchen (the real Hell's kitchen), and out to show the world that he can help. (Going from Lawful Neutral to Lawful Good over the course of the campaign.)

And, yeah, there will be cops prejudiced against him - he is going to need to prove himself to the officers below him.

I already have an idea for the third adventure... (Too high level for the first two.) Megan - no peeky, this may yet happen -

Reveal hidden contents

The Lieutenant is sent a Basilisk in a Box - with blame falling on Captain Casey. The Looey was passed over for promotion, in favor of the beholder, and has been both an out spoken critic, a leader in disrespect, and a thorn in the side of the captain ever since. And I want the players to hate the guy. (His alignment is Lawful Neutral - he is just a prejudiced jerk, but doesn't let it get in the way of doing the job.)

To remove the Captain from the frame, the PCs will need to find the real killer.

Weird how an idea can take root.

I... may bounce this off the kids, as well. It could be a fun game for six months to a year.

The Auld Grump - I think the second adventure will be a serial killer, targeting urban goblins. (Considered pests, the lowest rung on the social ladder, but not evil. Beggars, mudlarks, gong farmers, chimney sweeps... and sometimes thieves. Oddly enough, their most outspoken advocates in the city includes the dwarven community. (The dwarfs approve of hard workers, and the goblins are that.) *EDIT* It will also have the scene that first popped to my mind - with the beholder pointing to the door with his eyes, and telling the PCs to go out and catch the killer, before he kills again.

*EDIT* Lorefinder will be a must, I think.

Edited by TheAuldGrump

So tempted to make the big baddy for the campaign another beholder - an eleven eyed Moriarty, running a well organized thieves and murderers guild. (Murderers, not assassins - hit men, not James Bond.)

Possibly even Casey's brother.... Might as well go for the full cliche!

The Auld Grump - running to level 16 or so, I think.

If you haven't, read the original Ravnica, Dissension, and Guildpact novels from Magic the Gathering. The main character is a fantasy hard-broccoli beat cop who basically gets pulled into a whole bunch of crap because his newbie partner gets killed and then reappears as a ghost that only he can see. It's basically a hardboiled detective story with tons of magic and monsters thrown in. There's drow assassins, vampire mob bosses, angels, demons, dragons, and ghost torture.

I don't know how useful the Ravnica sourcebook that they just put out for 5e would be, though. It's based on the Ravnica that was shaped by a decent amount of development from after the original novels, and I haven't read the new novels so I don't know what all the changes actually would be.

I am familiar with the Garrett Files, but the Ravinica M:tG novels are new to me.

There is also the Dragon Precinct series  by deCandido.

Oddly, one of the other inspirations was the computer game Oblivion - with its ridiculously integrated society.

Vignette -

The PCs - rookies - are sent to deal with a street fight between orcs and dwarfs. If any get a successful Sense Motive roll against their sergeant then they will get the feeling that he is hiding something.

As are all the cops watching him hand them the assignment....

Getting close to the scene, they will see smoke rising t=in three columns....

When they get there they find that the orcs and dwarfs are in full armor, but no weapons - brightly painted armor, with numbers painted front and back.

And the smoke is rising from three barbecue pits....

For the last fifteen years the Steel Workers (Dwarfs, orcs, and half-orcs) and the Meat Packers (Orcs, half-orcs, and dwarfs) have been settling things with a street football game.

And every year, the same human woman has sent in the same complaint.... Every year.

The PCs got sent because, well, rookies - you always give the stupid jobs to the rookies. Twenty years ago, these were real fights, but now.... They even have permission from the city.

The Auld Grump - and it will also tell the players a lot about the city.

• Like 2

Well, there's only 6 books in Ravnica total, and as far as I'm aware only the first 3 take the fantasy cop idea and give it a shot. And even then, they do tend to go into stereotypical fantasy after a while. But it starts off with a street cop, and they go through some of the procedural stuff like you'd expect as they go along.

One of the things that will be noted in passing - but multiple times - the street cleaners are all zombies, for the most part of the 'low' races. Goblins, orcs, kobolds, and ogres, but mostly goblin.

The city has a law that indigents - people without the funds to pay for burial or cremation, are reanimated, using a shorter version of Animate Dead - it lasts for around six month, then the body falls to dust... and is swept up by other zombies.

This includes the victims of the serial killer in chapter two.... And Raise Dead won't work on those reanimated in this fashion - it takes Resurrection or True Resurrection to bring them back.

The zombies can only legally belong to the city, but it is not unknown for the city to loan or rent them out for menial tasks.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Softening this a bit - rather than falling to dust and being swept up, they are given a proper burial - the rationale being that their posthumous labor pays for the burial - complete with a lesser priest reading the rites. And, once buried, there is no chance of the corpse re-reanimating.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

This could also be run in a ShadowRun setting very easily...

That's how Ravnica is. The entire plane is an urban sprawl, run by 10 different guilds who all provide different services to the city. You could easily convert the guilds to being corporations and add in some extra tech and have yourself a Shadowrun setting.

• Like 1

Mind you, gonna be about a year or more before I run this - so many things already in the pipe.... (Though it may replace The Blight in the line - I love The Blight, but my players might be a bit less happy with it.)

And the Regency game may be structured, but it is also open ended - finishing the major arcs does not mean that there won't be more arcs replacing them.

This one, like the superhero cops game, is going to be more episodic - with short episodes, and just a few *BAM!* episodes per season.

Arcs mostly self contained, and lasting a single season. (Unlike the supers game, which has three plots that span the series - and one recurring event, when they need to deal with the crew from the TV show Capes flying along with them on a mission.... (Bad boys, bad boys! Whatcha gonna do?) Once, every year.... ::P:)

And, yes, I am thinking of this campaign more as episodes of a TV series than as a single story....

Gods above and below, I wish that the Terry Pratchett TV series about The Watch had happened. More than any other source, The Watch stories are the inspiration for this. (Well, that and that goofy looking Beholder.)

A minor character point - in regards to the Moriarty beholder - Captain Casey is thinking in terms of Law vs. Chaos, Good s. Evil, Order vs. Disorder - the evil Beholder is thinking in terms of Beholder vs. Beholder - to him this is a dominance game, and a battle between like kinds.

By the way - I posed Megan's Beholder behind a desk, with some bookshelves behind it... it is amazing how at home a Beholder looks, floating behind a desk.

I can easily see both Beholders in the exact same setting - with completely different reasons for being there. (For the record - Casey LIKES being a cop. Sure, he spends a lot of time shouting at his men, but behind the shouting and the scowls, he is happier than he has ever been in his life. The shouting is just the cherry on top.)

Pretty sure I am talking myself into getting the GF9 figure - which will cement this campaign as happening.

So, I need to sit down with my mapping program, and design the Precinct Station.

The Auld Grump - the captain's room will have a skylight - that he can open and fly out of.

5 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Hmmm...do you think the forensics section has any necromancers on payroll?

I'd guarantee it. I'm pretty sure that was the case in Ravnica as well. It's been a while since I read through the books, though. 

12 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Hmmm...do you think the forensics section has any necromancers on payroll?

Probably!  Although the more cunning criminals probably make sure Speak With Dead (or whatever it's called) won't work.

Yeah, any killer worth his salt would make sure to at least strike from behind or take other measures to ensure that his victim couldn't pass on useful information. Would still be useful for unplanned crimes of passion, or for at least getting a location and/or time.

I think I'd want to give a police necromancer a pretty decent charisma. They'd also be pulling double duty as a counselor, calming down the distraught dead folks they've just brought back in order to get straight answers, as well as comforting family members who've come to say goodbye.

• Like 1

Or, as in this case, makes sure that the bodies are animated as temporary zombies - so that Speak With Dead cannot be used. The Necromantic Works Department (temporary name - probably) is generally Neutral, but there is someone gaming the system.

There is a third party White Necromancer class that I very much like - but the guy that is reanimating the gobbo corpses is not a member of that class. (He is one sick puppy.)

And, a dream last night, where the cop PCs had to deal with an Agent of the Crown....

NPC: Good morning, I am Agent Herringbone Tweed. Call me Harry.

PC: I take it that you are from the Department of Obvious Pseudonyms?

NPC: I wish. Please, call me Harry.

Dreams are weird... <_<

The Auld Grump