Sign in to follow this  
Gadgetman!

Sandra & Woo, a 10 year anthology

I've been a fan of this comic for nearly a decade now... And now its finally going to end up in my bookshelf!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/novil/sandra-and-woo-10-years-anthology-art-book/description

About

8c922f3937d4f32eedaaa186d983f5b4_origina

10 years! Over 1000 comics! One book! ... No, wait, two books!! (+ art prints) And I’m super happy with how they turned out!

Update [11 November 2018] International shipping of the books is now available!! Scroll down to the chapter “International Shipping” for all the details!

Sandra and Woo readers have been asking me for a printed version for years. Now, it’s finally here, the Sandra and Woo: 10 Years anthology! It collects all 1031 comics that have been published so far. Check out the following infographic for all of its features:

7bc34c68febc15df0538af1f517febdb_origina

I guess that almost all visitors of this page are familiar with Sandra and Woo. If not, here is a short introduction to the comic strip:

• Sandra and Woo is a comedy webcomic about love, food, raccoons and other important stuff. Written by Oliver Knörzer (“Novil”) and drawn by Puri Andini (“Powree”), it mostly consists of short story arcs about the adventures of middle-schooler Sandra North, her talking raccoon, Woo, and their friends.
  • You can see some of our best comics on the following pages: [1], [2], [3], [4].
ad6ad0fd834a59f241b4943cfe7faffe_origina

Here you can see six sample pages from the anthology (pages 19, 184, 265, 334, 444, and 547):

6 sample pages from "Sandra and Woo: 10 Years" 6 sample pages from "Sandra and Woo: 10 Years"
  • I carefully selected sketches and illustrations by Powree to fill the “holes” in the layout left by the irregular sizes of many comics.
  • The anthology features a preface about the history of Sandra and Woo.
  • Many of the comments below the comics include web links for further reading.
  • Our editor Chris made sure that the English text contains no errors.

263d256bc44f72962f8a1497368ecc0e_origina

But that’s not all! I also decided to publish an art book that collects illustrations of Sandra and Woo characters drawn by Powree and 50 other artists, The Art of Sandra and Woo. Most of the artwork by other artists was drawn as commissions or as entries for our yearly fanart contests. Check out the following infographic for the features of the art book:

0f9950be523daf3b3f593b05118c547e_origina

Here you can see six sample pages from the art book:

6 sample pages from "The Art of Sandra and Woo" 6 sample pages from "The Art of Sandra and Woo"
  • Powree and Fredy Siloy are currently coloring over a dozen drawings for the art book that have only been available in black and white until now. A few drawings will stay in black and white because they look better this way.
  • I carefully arranged all illustrations so that all adjacent pages have a common theme, art style or particularly pleasing color scheme.
  • All featured artists are listed in the preface. They will receive a fair share of the profits of the art book which they agreed to beforehand.

1a6615475465dadcc4f333f1c06043f3_origina

The special editions of the books come with a sketch in form of a stencil, a good fit regarding the graffiti theme of the cover. For this, I will use undiluted high-quality acrylic paint and apply it to the interior side of the cover page with a sponge brush.

Beneath the stencil, I will add my signature and my favorite catchphrase from the comic: “Freedom! Justice! Cookies!”

Hand-made stencil inside the special editions Hand-made stencil inside the special editions
6c371ee6dcc3c50379cdd756c5cce8fa_origina

Several reward tiers include the PDFs of the books. The PDFs will be DRM free. The resolution in each dimension will be half of the resolution of the original PDFs used for printing. As a little goodie, I will also include the PDF of our first book that was published in 2009, Sandra and Woo 1: The Woo.

474a3b6085cb6731fb1a2ec2097721f1_origina

If you not only want to put Sandra and Woo into your bookshelf, but also on your wall, you can get a set of art prints (mini posters). The art prints are 17 x 11 in (43 x 28 cm) large and UV coated.

The set of 5 art prints contains the following ones:

a3b0c0cc94e16d0e97b4b598045383b4_origina

The set of 11 art prints contains the ones above plus the following ones:

8a34993e95cd00a9d8e79abeab0111ea_origina
f2d8f60414d0c3ecdf80d6b3c30ec9e5_origina

All books and art prints will be printed by Ka-Blam, a print-on-demand comic book print shop. Over the years, they have shipped over 150,000 orders and printed more than 3 million comic books.

197cac809212566ef153444f67e101ec_origina

I’ve received sample copies of the anthology and the art book and I’m very pleased with the print quality! I’m particularly fond of the black and white line art of the comics. The lines are sharp, have the correct thickness and no aliasing effects. In addition, the paper is thick and has a pleasant, slightly shiny, white color.

Before receiving the sample copies, I was concerned about the binding of the 550 page omnibus. But the binding also makes a very solid impression. Therefore, I saw no need to publish the anthology in two volumes.

My sample copy of the anthology My sample copy of the anthology
7a0eeaf32d0efebec09b4a3762c4833f_origina

Ka-Blam will also be responsible for shipping all orders. I’m sure they can do it much faster and better than I could. The anthology and the art book will be ready to be printed before the end of this Kickstarter campaign! If all goes well, Ka-Blam should be able to ship the first books just a few days after the end of this Kickstarter campaign.

Note that the covers for the special editions first have to be sent to me so that I can add the sketch and signature. After that, I have to send the covers back to Ka-Blam. Since Ka-Blam is located in the United States and I’m located in Germany, this will add at least a month to the total fulfillment time. If fast delivery is your top priority, you should rather get the standard editions of the books.

• Why does the campaign last longer than the usual 30 days?

The weeks before Christmas are always very hectic. Ending my first Kickstarter campaign right during the most stressful time of the year just didn’t sound like a good idea. I wouldn’t have been able to promise a delivery in December anyway.

6018d98653c5e44a11fc1d4d3030002f_origina

International shipping outside the U.S. is available for the books as well! These books won’t be printed by Ka-Blam, though. Instead, they will be printed by the well-known German print shop Wir-machen-Druck.de. They will then be sent to the backers by the German fulfillment agency Aimplify.com. The shipping costs of all reward levels are:

• Germany: 5€ (~ $6)
  • European Union: 10€ (~ $11)
  • Other countries: 15 € (~ $17)

In comparison, sending the books from the U.S would have cost 46€ (~ $53)!

The art prints are not available for international shipping since Wir-machen-Druck.de doesn’t offer this product category.

a34ad1bc489d58bdf62e21718b11d743_origina

The profits (after all expenses for printing, shipping, etc.) will be used in the following order:

• Pay the shares of the artists featured in the art book.
  • Pay Powree for her work on Sandra and Woo and Gaia.
  • Increase the prize money for the upcoming massive Sandra and Woo 10 Years Artwork Contest!
23891eae55bc11ea14a33ba1ffc486c3_origina

Risks and challenges

Since the books are ready to be printed and Ka-Blam is an experienced comic book publisher, the risks involved in this project are very low. I currently see the following risks:

• There’s currently no backup plan for the worst-case scenario of Ka-Blam’s printing plant burning down (or Ka-Blam going bankrupt). In this improbable case, I would look for alternative printing companies located in the United States that could fulfill the Kickstarter campaign.

• I don’t know yet how sturdy the plastic piece used for the stencil is. If it breaks (multiple times), this will lead to a delay of the special editions.

• I’ll go on a month-long vacation to Japan from the mid of March 2019 to the mid of April 2019. In case we get a very large amount of orders for the special editions, this could lead to a further delay.

• Like 1