Generic Fighter

Happy, Holly Hobby Goals!(December Hobby Goals Thead)

12 hours ago, buckyball said:

It’s this box. It isn’t all the figures I plan to paint. But I am giving myself a year to complete what is in the box.

That's a really interesting motivational technique.  How many years have you been doing this? Do you ever swap things out midyear? How has your complete rate been? How far down some other rabbit hole have you gone before getting back to the box?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

That's a really interesting motivational technique.  How many years have you been doing this? Do you ever swap things out midyear? How has your complete rate been? How far down some other rabbit hole have you gone before getting back to the box?

This will be the third year. I started the annual box because I noticed I had many figures that I had collected which I intended to paint, but then I got distracted. I also had miniatures from sets that I had started, but then had procrastinated on. This year there are fewer figures in the box, but three of them are for painting competitions this summer.

I do not swap out things at any point. That would defeat the purpose of the box. I do however sometimes do conversion work on the figures in the box. So that’s like swapping, but the miniature still gets painted.

My completion rate is 100%.

Last year I had the box 50% done in March. So it seemed to be a piece of cake. But I had started on the easy figures and I slacked off during the summer. We had started a new RPG and there were these two painting competitions and some conventions and etc. When I picked it up again in Fall it was hard to stay motivated. I had to force myself to finish that last Hasslefree figure on New Years Eve to complete 2017’s box.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, buckyball said:

This will be the third year. I started the annual box because I noticed I had many figures that I had collected which I intended to paint, but then I got distracted. I also had miniatures from sets that I had started, but then had procrastinated on. This year there are fewer figures in the box, but three of them are for painting competitions this summer.

I do not swap out things at any point. That would defeat the purpose of the box. I do however sometimes do conversion work on the figures in the box. So that’s like swapping, but the miniature still gets painted.

My completion rate is 100%.

Last year I had the box 50% done in March. So it seemed to be a piece of cake. But I had started on the easy figures and I slacked off during the summer. We had started a new RPG and there were these two painting competitions and some conventions and etc. When I picked it up again in Fall it was hard to stay motivated. I had to force myself to finish that last Hasslefree figure on New Years Eve to complete 2017’s box.

That's interesting, I can see where that would really help to keep you on track. So, if you finish the box early in the year, do you restock?

I did finish one up last night, but the decals didn't go on until just after Midnight, so I don't know if it counts for 2018 or 2019. 

15fL1MW.jpg

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 6

I might have to give that idea of yours a whirl buckyball...  I really do like the thought of it!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I did finish one up last night, but the decals didn't go on until just after Midnight, so I don't know if it counts for 2018 or 2019. 

Personally, I don’t log them as completed until the final varnish coat goes on...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I might have to give that idea of yours a whirl buckyball...  I really do like the thought of it!

The key is knowing what to put in the box. In this year's box, I put in several Mithril miniatures. Since I try to complete one Mithril mini each month, it is a safe bet that I can get these painted. I also put in two miniatures that my friends and I agreed we would paint up for this year's Reapercon. So I know I will be painting these sometime before the convention. I have a bunch of miniatures that did not go into the box, even though I want to paint them. They are mostly for games my gaming group play now, but we may not be playing in a few months.

buckyball

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have one to finish today, just a few details, and will count it for last year.  Generally if 99% of it was done and I finish in the first few days of the new year I count it as the preceding year's work.  Then I get to start fresh with new minis. Like all that stuff I bought for christmas. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, buckyball said:

The key is knowing what to put in the box. In this year's box, I put in several Mithril miniatures. Since I try to complete one Mithril mini each month, it is a safe bet that I can get these painted. I also put in two miniatures that my friends and I agreed we would paint up for this year's Reapercon. So I know I will be painting these sometime before the convention. I have a bunch of miniatures that did not go into the box, even though I want to paint them. They are mostly for games my gaming group play now, but we may not be playing in a few months.

buckyball

Yeah, that's probably what would require the most thought from me.

...Although I will playfully say I probably have enough gnolls and werewolves to make it that! :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buckyball said:

The key is knowing what to put in the box.

If I were to try this, I'd feel like I wanted to put a unit in for each month (and I usually use units of 12 foot or 6 horse to match Chaos Wars and Dragon Rampant rules).  Based on what I painted last year, I should be able to do that and still have some energy left over for pursuing the whim of the moment.  Two units a month would probably be a stretch that might be more stressful than helpful...

• Like 6

On 12/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, Inarah said:

I haven't had a plan in a long time but I was thinking maybe 30 minis in 30 days. No, too ambitious, how about 20 minis.  I have at least that many in various stages from freshly primed to why isn't this done yet.  I'm at 50 for the year, +20 would be a good finisher. 

Got my 20 done.  Did not finish the two large figures. Looked at them yesterday and decided they needed much more work than I had time to give and I didn't want to rush anything.  Today I finished two barbarian girls and a PC for our game on Friday.  Will get pics when the sun comes back.  My light box is solar powered. :) 

• Like 6

December was a productive month:

Wizkids Owlbear

Ral Partha Lycanthropes (3) 

Plastic Toy Repaint

Wizkids Myconids (2)

Reaper Gonda, Goblin Apprentice Cleric

Reaper Persephone, Mythic Heroine

• Like 5