Dilvish the Deliverer

Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Adventure: Dungeon of the Mad Mage by Wizards of the Coast

Ruleset: Dungeons and Dragons 5E

In the city of Waterdeep rests a tavern called the Yawning Portal, named after the gaping pit in it's common room.  At the bottom of this crumbling shaft is a labyrinthine dungeon shunned by all but the most daring adventures.  Known as Undermountain, this dungeon is the domain of the mad wizard Halaster Blackcloak.  Long has the Mad Mage dwelt in these forlorn depths, seeding his lair with monsters, traps, and mysteries.  To what end?  That question is a constant source of speculation and concern.

DM: Dilvish the Deliverer (of TPKs)

Players:

Blazing Tornado: Toki Snurrisson  Human Valor Bard   https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1764807

haldir: Nephemon  Tiefling Warlock  https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/6960270/aaElPF

leomatic: Vindice Gaspar Human Grave Cleric  https://drive.google.com/open?id=18n-W5r_XZFNNT5dlc17pLKcg4CFdDc3V

dwarven ranger: Dorn Ironside  Hill Dwarf Vengance Paladin https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1765366

prophetic_joe:  Finn Underbough Halfling Thief https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1766151

Unit04: Librarian Sithrandir High Elf Eldritch Knight  https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1763507

History:

More than one thousand years ago, the wizard Halaster Blackcloak journeyed from a distant land to the base of Mount Waterdeep, perhaps acceding to the whispered summons of providence. Some believe he hailed from the nearly forgotten empire known as the Cradlelands. In ages past, humanity spread from the Cradlelands across Faerûn, originating from what is now the Plains of Purple Dust, a wasteland birthed out of a conflict with the gods. Others give Halaster less ancient origins, placing him among the early wizards of Netheril, or asserting that he came from a southern nation long since buried by sand and time. Whatever his origin, scholars have recorded that Halaster brought with him seven apprentices to Mount Waterdeep.

With the Seven guarding his back, Halaster tapped into his immense power to summon beings from other planes of existence to help him build a wizard's tower to dwarf all other wizard's towers. But as the seasons wore on, the Seven saw less and less of their enigmatic master. Halaster continued to use fell creatures from distant planes for tunneling and other construction beneath his tower, and the wizard kept the nature of most of his underground dealings a secret from the Seven. Eventually, Halaster's exploration broke into the Underhalls, a complex of tunnels and rooms built by the dwarves around a mithral mine beneath Mount Waterdeep. The architects of the Underhalls, the Melairkyn clan, had long ago been killed or dispersed, and warring duergar and drow had settled in the ruins. Halaster began a crusade against both the drow and the duergar, participating in wild hunts with extraplanar allies through the tunnels. The stubborn duergar dug in until the mithral was largely mined out; then they abandoned the Underhalls, leaving the drow to fight Halaster and his minions alone. The Mad Mage rounded up the remaining dark elves, trapping some of their souls for use in his dark magic, while twisting the bodies and enslaving the minds of others. Once he had wrung the drow of their usefulness, Halaster Blackcloak tunneled on, ever downward, indulging his inexplicable compulsion for delving deeper and deeper into the mountain.

Using his underground complex as a base of operations, Halaster traveled to other planes and distant lands, collecting strange and dangerous creatures to live as prisoners, servants, or guardians in Undermountain. Populating and defending the dungeon became an obsession. Over time, the mage's preoccupation with Undermountain electrified his eccentricities and infused him with an air of unconcealable madness.

Halaster's apprentices came and went. Some left only to return—inexplicably drawn down into Undermountain's depths. Others remained by his side. As they began dedicating more attention to their private obsessions, madness settled into their souls as well.

During the years Halaster quested on other planes and sequestered himself in his tunnels, his magnificent tower and its surrounding walls fell into ruin. In time, the city now known as Waterdeep developed in the shadow of Mount Waterdeep and spread down to the harbor. As the city sprawled outward over the years, it came to surround the ruins of Halaster's home. Undermountain was known to those early settlers, and they often sent criminals into its endless depths as punishment. So it was for many years, until an intrepid adventurer named Durnan delved into the labyrinth beneath the tower and returned alive, laden with riches and countless harrowing tales. Durnan used his new fortune to demolish the remnants of Halaster's tower and built an inn over the well he had used to descend into Undermountain, and call it the Yawning Portal. Durnan owns and operates the inn and tavern to this day, serving patrons and inviting the brave and foolish alike to test their mettle in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Sitting at a large table, smoking his pipe, his weapons, shield and pack on the floor next to him, Dorn plays with a set of Three Dragon Ante cards on the table in front of him, next to an empty plate and half empty mug of ale. "By Clangeddin's twin axes, I'm ready to get on with this. Dumathoin has let me know that there's something he wants me to accomplish down yonder hole" He points at the large well with lit torches aound the outside of the well lip. "I'm sure that we'll be finding danger and treasure aplenty, but know that I'll not not be standing by and allowin' the lootin' of any items sacred to the Melairkyn clan and dwarves in general. But like I said, I'm sure there's plenty of other treasure down there for the taking. I myself have a debt to repay" he says witha nod towards Toki.

A short man with a bushy beard walks up (picture spoiler) anyone who's a regular knows he has a reputation for trouble.

Spoiler

Vasnetsov_Grave_digger.thumb.JPG.39b0637ec4921554079a43bd42beaba7.JPG

"Somebody over there overheard you calling me short. Who are you calling short? I'll kill more undead in that pit than you ever could. Who's buying a poor priest a drink to work up the courage to go onstage?"

"What does height have to do with killin' undead, eh youngster? And who are ye ( since he doesn't seem to be part of our already established adventuring party) and by Mordain's hairy bum, why do ye want to go up on the stage? Ye don't look to be a minstrel." 

A small boyish looking figure with tawny brown hair pulled back in a ponytail walks up, "Yes priest, what would you do if you got onstage? Would you insure we got to the sides of the gods above?"  Fin smiles a bit and looks at the other, "If that's your hope rest assured they'll not be wantin' Dorn here."

Edited by prophetic_joe

"And my interest is the bed of a woman twice my size. If I'm lucky it will be that buxom lass over by the bar." He takes a deep swig from his pint of ale and grins broadly. "Beyond that friend, I thought we were to be getting some gold so when in the hills are we going down that hole?"

Edited by prophetic_joe

As you have all been hanging out at the bar (ostensibly for "research" purposes), each party member can make a either an Insight or Investigation roll to try and uncover some information about Undermountain.

Toki's going to wander over to the others' table, take a big swig of his mug of mead, slam it down and half-drunkenly ask if anyone here has seen Paultin Seppa because that no-talent-buttjester needs his stupid bagpipes shoved up his posterior.

Then probably let out a loud burp before wiping the foam off his blonde beard.

13 hours ago, dwarvenranger said:

"What does height have to do with killin' undead, eh youngster? And who are ye ( since he doesn't seem to be part of our already established adventuring party) and by Mordain's hairy bum, why do ye want to go up on the stage? Ye don't look to be a minstrel." 

Height means everythin ta some. I intend to show them's wrong. If you won't pay my ale, ya won't hear no po-ettry. Great verse about mighty heroes a' th' church of Kelmvor. Let me see yer hands, then, and I'll know if you need schoolin or not.

"Same's for all a yas, " he says to anyone near by. "I won't throw my lot in with no soft-handed folk. At least if yer lookin ta go ta th' undermountain."

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Toki's going to wander over to the others' table, take a big swig of his mug of mead, slam it down and half-drunkenly ask if anyone here has seen Paultin Seppa because that no-talent-buttjester needs his stupid bagpipes shoved up his posterior.

No. No Poltroons here.

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

As you have all been hanging out at the bar (ostensibly for "research" purposes), each party member can make a either an Insight or Investigation roll to try and uncover some information about Undermountain.

Brother VIndice (rolling a 3 on his insight check...) "Say, barkeep. Is there a sign-up list?"

Edited by lexomatic

(Insight: 18+3=21) Dorn glares at Vindice, starting to get annoyed. "Youngster, I was working stone afore your great grandfather was born. Don't be questioning my work ethic. If yer looking to prove yerself, do so down in Undermountain, not at a table in an inn."

(Investigation: 11+3=14)  "Mmmm.  The Undermountain is indeed a fascinating place.  Imagine all the knowledge Blackcloak secreted down there.  I imagine it would make the Waterdeep library seem small.  I, for one, would love to get my hands on some of those tomes."