Jump to content

Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane's Castle Triskelion PbP

Recommended Posts

Steelhead 2 

 

You wake up on the morning of the second day of Steelhead and reflect back on the whirlwind of the last few days. At your meeting on the docks, Desmond accepted the adventuring contract and asked the crowd if anyone else wanted to join the group, (As I am unaware of Blazing Tornados character’s name They volunteer). 

The rest of that day, the 4th of Gateway, was spent acquiring provisions for the trip and planning. It was decided that there were only two local places that the greenish streaks could be coming from, the dwarfish mining community of Gel Amon and Castle Triskelion. The river come directly from Castle Triskelion and a creek from the mine, Mine Creek, feeds into the river. 

 

The provisions include enough food for 10 people for a week, an Adventurer's tent,(a magical tent big enough to hold 10 people, but yet will shrink down to fit in a backpack, warming stones, which when placed inside the tent, will keep the tent at about 65 degrees even when the temperature is below zero and yet will be only slightly warm to the touch, and comes with 10 cots for sleeping.{I am still working on this magic item}), the tent is on loan from the Adventurer's Guild and they expect it be in the same condition as it left in 

 

You left Castra Isca early on the morning of the 5th of Gateway and followed the river south (*See new map), upon reaching the junction of Mine Creek and the River Isca, the greenish streaks were coming from the Isca and not Mine Creek. So you followed the river towards the castle. The road along the river was overgrown, but still made the trek fairly easy and quick despite the cold and the light snowfall and reduced visibility. The days have been fairly cold with the high on Starday (the day after the dock meeting) of only 21 degrees. Yeste  and the day before,high was 18 and there was a light snow fall and today's high promises to be even colder. You arrived last  night with just enough light to set the tent. You passed through the fifteen foot gate situated between two small towers in a ten foot high wall erected between to mountain cliffs on either side. The gate was made of wrought iron and it opened easily at your touch.  

 

You rise and step outside the tent and are greeted by a cold winter's morning with a few small snow flakes drifting down. You camped last night just off the road within site of the castle, (see map {OutsideApproach}, (please be aware that on this map North is actually pointing SOUTH!) you will be just off the road near the edge of the map). The castle is made of dressed light and dark grey stone, you can make out the windows of what you assume are the first and second floors and two towers of what is probably the third floor. There is a gradual ramp to the broad and wooden bridge leading up to, one would assume is the front door. to the north (check this against the map and the direction change) of the ramp you can see a meadow, that is probably grassy in the spring and summer, but which is covered in a light patchy snow. The area that is marked 'stables' on the map is nothing more than a bunch of broken and burned beams.  

 

I await your decision on if you head up the road to enter the castle or if you turn tail and run back to town. 

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10TzU8OIqluaTcP2ouS8aoIN4AhX7lngd/view?usp=sharing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the preparations for the expedition, and the trek itself, Gayle Garnett, the holy warrior following the tenets of, somewhat uncharacteristically, Kassandra, had been uncharacteristically silent, in the sense she passed up obvious opportunities for lecturing people on things in an attempt to educate them. This was presumably linked to how she had been sticking close to Desmond NuCastle most of the time, very obviously set on showing proper deference while acting as the young nobleman's advisor and guard, but also very much unable to hide she was concerned about overstepping - or possibly already having overstepped - boundaries.

 

Similarly, it had been rather obvious Gayle was somewhat uncomfortable with the cold, and mildly annoyed by the way the moisture from her breath might form into icy crystals on stray locks of her strawberry blonde hair. She hadn't said anything, let alone complained, of course, but it was hard not to get the impression that despite all her martial training, she would have probably rather preferred spending the time with an interesting tome by a well-stoked fireplace.

 

The morning after camping beneath the castle, Gayle seemed thoughtful, and a bit wary. Looking up toward the structure, she mused, "If that place is inhabited, there should be sentries, and surely they must have spotted us by now. Given we have nonetheless seen no signs of a friendly welcome, I am concerned we might face some manner of ambush at the gate. While I shall not shy from a direct approach because of that, I am certainly willing to hear any ideas on mitigating such a potential risk."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolf is much accustomed to the weather, having spent most of his life either out of doors or in damp and chilly mines. 

 

"I am not adverse to doing some scouting if the group desires. I can do my best to move around unnoticed and get the lay of the area. I'm not sure what I'll find, but if you want to find something there's nothing like looking."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juriel will chime in.

 

"Perhaps we should check those stables... we might find something useful there, or at least clues as to what might await us further."

 

At a glance, how recent does the damage to the stables look?

Edited by BlazingTornado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breathing in the mountain air felt good.

 

Letting out a puff of frosted air,  Anthryll says "The stables might be a good start, at least it would give us a closer look at the castle." as he  overlooks his surrounding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The burning of the stables seems to be old as there is nothing obviously smoldering and there is no hint of smoke on the wind, which seems to be the only thing stirring. The only apparent way in to the castle is through the front gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are too far away for a detailed inspection, however it has probably been years, as the last known expedition to the castle was the one sent by the town elders over three years ago. Their report made no mention of the stables in any sort of condition, but it is known that it was there. The report just states they went to the front gate and them returned with the recommendation that no one ever go there again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle shook her head ever so slightly at the talk about the stables. "I should think even goblins and kobolds would know to loot first, set ablaze later, so I doubt the erstwhile stables would offer anything much useful, except perhaps shelter for small rodents and the like. More importantly, I am concerned that if the castle were inhabited by hostiles,  rummaging through the burnt remnants of an outbuilding at the foot of the castle walls might invite a hail of missiles. It might be better to see if the gate is secure or securable."

 

She then nodded at Loim Rolf. "It might be best, of course, given there is snow, to have an expert scout ahead first. I do believe snow should make it rather easier to discern whether and, if so, what creatures might have taken the approach toward the gate recently. Or toward the stables, for that matter."

 

 

 

Edited by Arkady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2018 at 3:47 PM, BlazingTornado said:

Juriel would still suggest starting by checking them over more closely before moving on to the bridge.

 

"I'm in agreement." Anthryll says adding in "You never know what might up there."

 

He also says it would be good for a scouting mission as well, as he looks at Rolf & smiles.


Afterwards he suggests we hit the front gate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nodding at the others, "I'll slip ahead and see what I can see. If there is anything at the stables I'll report back, if not I'll head to the gates and look around." Sliding his axe from under his cloak he slinks forward.

 

Starting with the stables Rolf will scout and look for signs and tracks, doing his best to move silently and unobtrusively. If there is anything noteworthy at or about the Stables that he can find he will bring word to the party. Otherwise he will check the gates, again moving unnoticed (or trying to).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You watch as Rolf barely makes any tracks in the snow, as he moves silently and quickly towards the stables. As the wind picks up and swirls snow to obscure him from your view, you could swear you hear an evil laugh. A cold shiver runs down your spine, It must be the cold wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle's gaze followed Rolf for a bit, until he vanished from sight. At the vague sound of an evil laugh, she frowned slightly. She had her doubts that actually indicated some great evil was observing them; however, it might well point to a lesser one trying to unsettle them with some magical trick. Still, even the thought of that was mildly disturbing; it suggested someone or something might be rather closer by than they had suspected, possibly cleverly hidden somehow.

 

"Perhaps we should break camp and ready to meet Rolf a bit further up ahead, in case he were to retreat toward this position under some form of pressure", Gayle offered, while musing whether perhaps a little precautionary paranoia was called for. Nodding to herself, she gazed ahead, concentrating on channeling the power the goddess bestowed on her, to Detect Evil. If there really was a lesser one trying to unsettle them with tricks nearby, it would not seem undue to try and apprehend it for questioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×