TGP

Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

3 hours ago, Weird-O said:

I tried out the mint toothpaste green...thing that was the free sample with my last Reaper order to add another layer to the jeweling of my CAV cockpits...and may have accidentally figured out NMM.

We need pics!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 17th: Have you tried any new paints recently? Do you have any new paints to try?

I used 09001 Red Brick (as a shadow color) and 09690 Hearth Fire (as a highlight color) on a red cloak.

I have... too many Reaper paints I have purchased but haven't opened yet.  I should do something about that.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

One of my wife's friends from High school started sending us groceries, accidentally.

apparently, she changed the ship to address on amazon, and then her SO placed a whole bunch of subscription orders for groceries, without noticing that they were no longer going to their house. 

cat food, kleenex, laundry soap... snack chips, fruit snacks,... our childless friends don't seem to eat very well. 

most of it non-returnable.  and not useable by us. One package had been sitting for a week because we thought it was gifts and hadn't opened it. 

still trying to figure out what to do with it.  ill call amazon today. 

update - amazon will credit her for the stuff.  They don't even want it back.   it was probably just over 50$ worth of stuff (to qualify for free shipping) and USPS wanted 48$ to ship it to her.  Somebody was going to lose money on this deal.  I'm glad it was Amazon, the friend is not super wealthy. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

update - amazon will credit her for the stuff.  They don't even want it back.   it was probably just over 50$ worth of stuff (to qualify for free shipping) and USPS wanted 48$ to ship it to her.  Somebody was going to lose money on this deal.  I'm glad it was Amazon, the friend is not super wealthy. 

Off to the Food Bank then!

• Like 10

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 17th: Have you tried any new paints recently? Do you have any new paints to try?

I bought a tube of Williamsburg Nickel Azo Yellow, it looks luscious for painting gold. Haven't tried it because I don't paint much, mostly ze charcoal. My paint output in 2019 should be vastly increased, as I'm going to be doing a lot of studies. Also got some Williamsburg transparent oxides, because who doesn't love oxides...but transparenter!?

http://www.justpaint.org/williamsburg-welcomes-7-new-colors/

• Like 6

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Hehehe that's how I saw it. Yes, I have gotten new maternity pants recently. They turned me blue and made me feel like a little old man with his pants pulled up to his arm pits. 

The only new paints I've gotten recently were cheap craft paints. They did the trick.

That happened to me too!! I bought some cheap pants when we were camping last month because it was a bit colder than expected.

Not! Worth!

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

it goes really well as a highlight for tropical aqua

That's exactly why I ordered Mint last week! I also grabbed NMM Gold Highlight. It looks like a such a good yellow.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I started using Deep Red 9002 for a dress I'm painting. It's a lovely color. I've got a ton of new paints to try. I bought about 20 last month in a Black Friday sale at the FLGS. Mostly Bones paints but also grabbed a couple of Heavy Gear paints that they had in stock.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I bought a tube of Williamsburg Nickel Azo Yellow, it looks luscious for painting gold. Haven't tried it because I don't paint much, mostly ze charcoal. My paint output in 2019 should be vastly increased, as I'm going to be doing a lot of studies. Also got some Williamsburg transparent oxides, because who doesn't love oxides...but transparenter!?

http://www.justpaint.org/williamsburg-welcomes-7-new-colors/

image.png.d4d2ef9c62382867b2e6aca12917c445.png

... Did we just buy the same yellow and post about it at the same time? :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Not exactly yet; but I did ask my fellow-hobby-er FIL for hobby stuff for Christmas and OH indicated that he had placed a reaper order, so I'm excited to see what was in that / if there were any paints in there. And if he ordered in the Advent calendar which day I'll have the mini from!

My grandparents (who are not hobby-ers) for Christmas have apparently bought me a Vallejo box of paints, if it's the one I mentioned to my parents I think its the flesh colours set which will be nice to add some variety to my PCs / NPCs.

So after Christmas (conveniently I have about a week off so I'll have some painting time!) I'll have some new paints to try!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TGP said:

In general, I have to say that I actually have too many paints. I notice that only a relatively small subset ever really gets used, which suggests that I should prune back a bit.

Having said that, I recently picked up a package of Green Stuff World interference paints to try out, so those are on the list. This week does not look promising, bit I'll get to them.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I tried some scale 75 Mars Orange this weekend.  It had sat in the box for some time because it looked like it was simply a matte version of a Vallejo paint I already had.  Now that I've used it... yeah, maybe slightly more desaturated but basically the same.  In a way that kind of sums up where I'm at with hobby paints.  I have most of the hues covered so I have limited motivation to go out and purchase new paints.  Maybe I'll fill some gaps in eventually.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

In general, I have to say that I actually have too many paints. I notice that only a relatively small subset ever really gets used, which suggests that I should prune back a bit.

Having said that, I recently picked up a package of Green Stuff World interference paints to try out, so those are on the list. This week does not look promising, bit I'll get to them.

Interference paints have been on my wishlist for forever!! 90% of my nail polish has that rainbow effect; I'm not sure why I never remember to find them for minis too haha. Let me know what you think about them!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TGP said:

New paint lines, or just new colors? No to the first, yes to the second.

I have both new paint lines and new colors from familiar lines to try.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yes to this, sooo much yes.  Definitely worth giving a shot.  I looove their technical gem paints, and can't wait for spring to try out their regular and metallic paints! ^_^

I received a sample red, blue, yellow and silver in a Loot Crate box.  I was pleased with the results when I played around with them, but haven't pulled the trigger on getting more.  Are there any domestic suppliers, or do all orders come from overseas? 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Clearman said:

I received a sample red, blue, yellow and silver in a Loot Crate box.  I was pleased with the results when I played around with them, but haven't pulled the trigger on getting more.  Are there any domestic suppliers, or do all orders come from overseas? 

Honestly, I don't know, since half (or more) of the suppliers that are domestic to you aren't for me....  But I've only ever ordered directly from Warcolours, and never really looked around to see if someone more local-ish carries them....

• Like 3