TGP

Getting to Know You :: December 2018 Edition

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question Dec. 20th: What handtools are in your apocalypse toolkit?

(*The five or six [?] essential items you will use to: restart civilization, rebuild from the ruins, fix things, salvage what you need, cope with being one of the last alive... ...survive.)

Hammer is #1, that is a given. But what is #2?

hammer, lockpick, bolt cutter, bigger hammer, axe, cutting torch? 

Just to be clear, the only apocalypse situation I can think of that doesn't kill me in the first few minutes, and causes society to collapse is a plague that I have freak immunity to. So I'm assuming I have all the physical resources I could ever want as long as I can open the doors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

(*The five or six [?] essential items you will use to: restart civilization, rebuild from the ruins, fix things, salvage what you need, cope with being one of the last alive... ...survive.)

All of you are so responsibly dedicated to the restoration of civilization.

I'm bringing:

1. Hammer (required)

2. Cushy chair

3. A sun shade

4. A good book

5. A bottle of fine scotch

Long-term survival is overrated.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Interesting that favorite game has not received more time. :upside:

Games require willing players.  If the game you like isn't particularly popular, then it's harder to find players for it. I'm sure just about everyone here has at least one game they'd like to play more, but can't ever get anyone to play with them (whether it's their favorite or not)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Just now, klarg1 said:

I'm bringing:

1. Hammer (required)

2. Cushy chair

3. A sun shade

4. A good book

Very much with klarg 1 on this: If I'm the only survivor then I think I would take:

1) A spoon

2) A tin-opener.

And just wander about, enjoying the peace and quiet.

Things only get complicated if some other elf-hat has also survived.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Mine would be:

1. Hammer

2. Hatchet

3. Wire saw

4. Swiss army knife

5. Small, but robust solar charger: being able to charge anything with a USB port can get you light, heat, communication, all the things to actually rebuild, rather than just survive

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I got to try those Rules one time. I quite liked them. But it was just that once. ::(:

If you want a rule book send me a pm. I have a bunch of extras just sitting in my basement from when I was peddling them.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Knife, axe and strong string/fishing line.

37 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I'm bringing:

1. Hammer (required)

2. Cushy chair

3. A sun shade

4. A good book

I've said that if there is an apocalypse I hope I'm one of the first to go. Surviving ain't gonna be fun. One scenario we discussed here is if Yellowstone blows. I've seen predictions that we're right on the edge of the instant kill zone. Basically all of Montana is gone. That leaves us trying to survive long enough for someone to find us (not likely as there will be much higher priorities) or walking hundreds of miles to a clean zone. I don't think we could handle that in good weather with just what we can carry let alone at the start of a nuclear winter.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

1. Hammer
  2. Tactical Knife with serrated edge and brass knuckles.
  3. Flashlight. ( the kind you can wind up so you don't need batteries)
  4. Magnesium firestick
  5. Tactical Bow.
  6. Duct tape.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I've got a "Bug out bag" set up for many years. Everything fits into a backpack.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Rules were made to be broken. Besides, it's the apocalypse. Who's gonna call me on it? So, no hammer.

1. Hatchet---tool and weapon all in one.

2. Knives. Yes, multiple.

3. Muti-tool---has screwdrivers and such all in one handy package.

4. Some way of starting a fire.

5. Adjustable wrench. Can also double as a hammer in an emergency.

6. A decent survival manual for the area I'm living in. Helps with identifying edible plants and so on.

8 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Any rock you pickup can be a hammer!

Exactly.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Rain of Colorless Fire, Invoked Devastation, Mass Frog, Verdigris Tsunami......wait, you're talking about getting through an apocalypse rather than creating one, aren't you?

Getting through an apocalypse, getting through an apocalypse............ummmmm....with chronomancy?

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Honestly? A dog, preferably a German Shepherd.

The way I attract dogs at the local park, i could probably find one within a couple of hours :D A well trained dog would be invaluable with finding food/water, defence and having something to talk to :poke:

• Like 7

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Hatchet. In fact, hatchet replaces hammer. The back end of a hatchet is a hammer.

Small knife I can ruin on wood. Like a pocket knife.

Larger knife I can save for breaking down carcasses and people. I own several and have the creepy knowledge necessary to ensure food never runs out so long as there's people around :ph34r:

Rope. Always need rope.

Backpack to carry the things I pick up.

Big plastic jug for water storage.

Iron pot. A good iron pot can cook food, boil water, melt wax, melt fat, melt lead...

Firestarter.

Bottle of vodka. Ideally I would set up early so as to start distilling my own for fuel, medicines, trade, and my own use.

Knitting needles. I don't know how to knit but I know how to built a simple device for spinning wool/hair/fibres into yarn and thread. I'm sure someone else can knit.

A tin can. I know how to make charcoal out of wood but it requires a tin can with lid. Useful once smelting becomes an idea again. From there I can use "iron pot" to begin melting aluminum and then I win Civ: Post Apocalypse.

11 years as a girl scout

fat + ash = soap

wax + needle + thread + skins = waterproofing

waterproofing + scrap sugars + water + yeast + skill + time = vodka

needle + thread + vodka + soap = simple medicine

charcoal + bellows + old tire = forge

forge + scrap metal = metalworking = return to civilization

• Like 12

19 hours ago, TGP said:

50’ of rope.

6 iron spikes

10’ pole

3 torches

A tinderbox

A short swo... Hang on a minute... Oops wrong list. That’s from an old AD&D character sheet.

Meh. Y’know what. It’ll work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Question Dec. 21st: What is your all time, so far, favorite game??  (...particularly if it is one you cannot or do not get to play anymore...) Answer by categories if you wish, frex: RPGs, electronic, tabletop, cardgames, boardgames, etc.

• Like 6