Sign in to follow this  
Bustedknee

adding iridescence to wizkids minis

If you're wanting to add a little color and some iridescence to the clear portions of the unpainted wizkids line, the folk art color shift paints do a great job.  They are transparent enough that the clear effect isn't "wasted" while at the same time adding little more life/interest to them.  I was just messing around with the wings on the Aasimar female and was really happy with the results.  Unfortunately don't have a pic (the iridescence would probably be lost in photos anyway) but thought I'd share.

Edited by Bustedknee
  • Like 10

I have enjoyed playing with the color shift paints too.  It's best to test them out on various background colors. They don't always come out like you expect they will. 

• Like 3

amuller33-  The iridescence doesn't really show as much in this pic but I think it gives the general idea.  This is undiluted paint.  1 or 2 coats.  For the amount of effort I was more than pleased.

Inarah- agreed. They behave so differently from any other paint I've encountered.  They've definitely been fun but frustrating toowings.thumb.jpg.b0d73724c618c2c59d5c481eae955856.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@Bustedknee That does look like a good paint option for the clear parts. I don't have any color shift paints, but I'll look for them. Thank you for posting that picture. I wasn't at all sure what to do with the spell effect parts. I typically either go with Tamiya clear paints or normal opaque colors.

• Like 2

@Pillpeddler - Thanks.  It definitely looks better in person.  The "color shift"/iridescence is completely lost when photographed.  The hope was that the provided picture would get across the idea that when using the color shifts you don't lose the clear effects on the Wizkids minis.  I've tried several different "clear" paints, some of the GW technical paints as well as various washes and glazes but I wasn't really happy with the results and usually resorted to just using standard paints on the effects.  This was one of the first times I found a paint that really worked well with the clear effects even with a quick and dirty application.  Because of the nature of the paint it almost acts like a recess wash with very subtle coloring of the high points while adding an iridescence to the entirety of the surface.