Redd Knekk

03906, Battleguard Golem Magus

Thought this guy would be a fun, quick paint, but turned into a tedious, long pain. Definitely not my best work but was trying new things mainly with metallics and OSL. As I went along, there were some things I wanted to experiment with so I did that at the expense of details, smooth highlights, etc. 

Really only intended it to be seen from the front (first pic), but as soon as I took pictures a thousand things popped up I could do better.

Anyway, here you go, and if you would like to tell me how you’d do it with these color light sources, please do.

81980BAA-1C51-4024-A673-BEEC2F147076.jpeg

1DAA4507-FFFA-4949-98EF-2FB1C28A9B8E.jpeg

6B6A69DD-265E-4EB0-913C-B016F3C3CD91.jpeg

• Like 19

I really like seeing people’s experimental stuff. It’s a good effort!  I think the colors on the flame should be opposite. Fires are usually hottest and brightest at the base, fading to reds and blacks at the tips. Just my $0.02. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I like it!

I can't help you with OSL though, just did that once myself and I'm no expert in that.

Nightwing is right about the fires.

• Like 2

Ummmm anti-gravity fireball? Yes, that’s exactly what I meant to do!

I see what you mean. I was going for a non oxidizing flame (slow burn, lower temp) as seen on the left. Good point.

174C78D8-87F6-461D-996D-4E510D29CE68.png

63956D95-6CEA-406E-9AE1-32E67F00B750.jpeg

Edited by Redd Knekk
  • Like 6

On 12/9/2018 at 6:59 PM, Nightwing said:

I really like seeing people’s experimental stuff. It’s a good effort!  I think the colors on the flame should be opposite. Fires are usually hottest and brightest at the base, fading to reds and blacks at the tips. Just my $0.02. 

The more I look at this the more I agree with your statement. Making it hotter at the bottom gives the impression that the power is flowing directly from his hand. Selection (color mainly) is the thing I struggle with most, so good lesson learned.

Awesome work, they are very original, and you did an amazing job with the various arrangement of color you selected. I think your osl turned out well. I'm even inspired the paint a similar effect on a plate armor. The blue and green add a very interesting complement to the ensemble. My favorite part is the osl on the staff, especially on the third picture. The energy seems to be blowing from inside the orb mounted on the staff.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HolkDiggity
      I wish my phone camera could get better photos of this mini, but the contrast is so wide that it just doesn't want to cooperate. I wanted to practice some OSL, and I chose violet. I also wanted to try building a different kind of base, and the wraith seemed like it would look at home in a bog. I think the back turned out better than the front. I may go back and deepen some of the front shadows at some point.

Tips on OSL and other things are welcome!

• By bblythe84
      So I painted her as my player character in an upcoming game, the tricky thing was that she had some pretty bad burn scars. I tried to paint a burn scar on her shoulder holding the wand, I am not sure how well it came out.

As always let me know what you all think of her.

I feel I should also apologize for the photo quality, I am trying to get something set up for decent pictures. 

• By Talae
      I picked up an airbrush kit on sale back in November. It came with two brushes, a compressor, and some other stuff.

Here is a picture:

The brush that I have been using mostly so far is the Badger Patriot 105. I say mostly because I have sprayed paint through it more than once, lol. I started with the bottom fed one (the 350) for one sitting of like 30 minutes, then tried another sitting with the 105 for like 30 minutes.

I have since used the 105 for something like three sittings of 30-60 minutes. My total airbrush experience is something like 2.5 hours plus another 1.5 hours of cleaning and practice assembly.

I have primarily just tried primers. The latest attempt has been applying Vallejo Surface Primer (black) to some of the graveyard set, namely the crypt and the fencing.

Here are those results (minus a rogue golem arm that missed being airbrushed until I cleaned up and was later brushed with the same color in order to prevent having to clean the airbrush for one piece):

I am thinking that I might try and use my Dwarven Forge paints to make this match the Dungeon terrain I have, but am not sure yet...and if I do go that route, would it be better to go with my typical dry rush route or should I be trying to apply colors on top of this with the airbrush? Or is there a different approach that I should be taking?
    • By Kev!
      Howdy,

Stoned...

Kev!
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      here is another Hackmaster figure I completed a few nights ago, a Female elf mage, sculpted back in 2003 by Jim Johnson. This is the first time I can recall I've taken an elf and given her an "alternative" hair color, so I hope she looks okay.  This was actually a pretty fun and straightforward figure to paint, not too many hanging, dingly-dangly extras going on.

She's one of the many Hackmaster/Kenzer and Company figures that Iron Wind Metals acquired a while back.  I'm really enjoying painting them up!

Anyhoos, enjoy!

• Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 67 Guests (See full list)