Sign in to follow this  
PaganMegan

Has Anyone Played Malifaux?

The PDF rules are super cheap right now, a tenner for five books on Drive Thru.

Are the rules good?

The miniatures look nice but pricey.

I haven't played but I have certainly admired the miniatures, lots of great sculpts and huge variety, but from what I've heard (no experience myself) they're tricky ones to put together! Thanks for the heads up about the cheap rules, I might look into it myself, though I don't know if there's a scene for it in any of my local gaming groups...

I remember looking at the first edition of the rules, and being disappointed that the campaign rules did not cover experience - the characters all stayed exactly the same through the campaign.

The Auld Grump

I've played a few games of the minis game with a borrowed crew, it was OK, not great.

Haven't played the RPG.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk

I like the minis. I liked them better when they were metal instead of very high priced multipiece styrene that will fall apart if you look at them too hard.

The old minis were durable playing pieces. The new ones are delicate display pieces.

8 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

I haven't played but I have certainly admired the miniatures, lots of great sculpts and huge variety, but from what I've heard (no experience myself) they're tricky ones to put together! Thanks for the heads up about the cheap rules, I might look into it myself, though I don't know if there's a scene for it in any of my local gaming groups...

I’ve put togther their Whiskey Golem.  It went together very nicely, well thought-out keyed pieces and little chance of making an error. But there were so many of them, yikes.

OTOH it is one of their bigger pieces. I don’t know how fiddly the human-sized ones get.

I played quite a bit of 1st edition Malifaux. Hated it. The core key gameplay element is "using a deck of cards instead of dice rolls" with a control hand that can be swapped to replace draw hands.

So far so good.

But then it gets very nasty. Lots of encouragement to win at all costs and encouraging the tournament mindset of "I'm never going to play with this person ever again so I can be an utter scumbag to them." Lots of screw you rules to frustrate an opponent to the point where they'd never want to play with you again. Now if you can relax and play it friendly then it's an okay system (if a little clunky on some of the rules interractions) but the game will constantly be encouraging you to ruin friendships or outright cheat because it's designed for a very hostile and competitive environment. For some reason it attracts all of the really nasty players that nobody enjoys playing with.

Guild Ball has a lot in common with Malifaux in terms of layers of rules complexity and it all being about objectives but Guild Ball manages to remain feeling friendly without the nastiness that constantly creeps into Malifaux.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Sad 3