Sign in to follow this  
haldir

magnets for minis

Since I'm bad at guessing correct sizes when it comes to things like small magnets & such. Does anyone have a good recommendation for using what size magnets for minis? When I head down Las Vegas in February next year I'm gonna have some bigger minis that I need to break down for portability sake. So I'd need sizes for dragon wings & similar size limbs (think gargantuan size dragons like the big Bones dragon, possibly the new version of T'Rauk). Also for possible limbs or body parts on large or bigger size minis (think giants). 

Also any good sizes for medium creatures? I don't think I'll need anything for those but any good size recommendations?

Namely thinking the small disc magnets.

I use two sizes.  The one with the most hold is the .375" OD x .125" ID x .06" thick ring magnets.  Mostly I use this with #8 washers to my recollection. Test the washers  for magnet hold and check their size in the store.  If you need more hold then you can use two magnets.

The other one is the 1/16" disk magnet.  I hold riders on the saddle, the chariot team to the chariot and so on.  This way I can change horses with the rider or disconnect the team and the chariot if they wreck. 

I have not ried the wings of dragons or limbs of giants but I don't see why it would not work.

One caveat.   Be aware of where the magnets are.  If they are close to another magnet they will move to join.  I mostly use the magnets to mount the miniatures to a steel plate for transport.  The first time I did this I stuck the magnets on the base of the minis.  In game the magnets would try to link up.  Since then I put the steel washer on the base and put the magnet on the steel plate and put the washer on the magnet.  Works well and no magnet on the mini in play.

• Like 4

Again, most of the magnets will be used in holding limbs that would be awkward to travel with. Especially a big dragon (gargantuan size 5e. so at least 4 inch base size).

Granted, Bones pieces do stay together pretty well. Depending on the dragon I use, I may just drive a piece of metal rod through the ends & use that. Easily to take apart & when I do glue them permanently, they'll have their pins in place.

Thanks for recommendations 

• Like 2

I think you will be happier with the steel pin idea on really big pieces. I have used magnets on smaller gaming pieces with great success, so you should try them out. Don't bother with regular magnets, get the ones called "rare earth" those are strong enough to be useful.

• Like 3

Oh yah it would be the rare earth disc magnets. They are sold at one of the game store over in Boise & at various online game stores as well. It would be where I'd get em if I did use em. After we get home from my parents I may have to dig out the components of the 20th level adventure & see what I'm dealing with as far as minis & such. At least, the various Bones minis I'm gonna use.

Vegas (LVO) is only 43 days away!! 

• Like 3