Sign in to follow this  
Gyar

02738 Helena, Female Gladiator

Looks great, and as far s the freehand goes, it looks wonderful and it isn't that much out of character if you look at some of the Greek shields.

Especially bottom row..

image.png.71dc813cf04d2e0693d798c5219af011.png

• Like 7

What can I say? I like your painting style, love the NMM the hi-light are perfect you can undestand where the light come from at the first glance!
Maybe IMO the bronze color is a bit too deep, but, as I already said, just my opinion.
Nice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Looks great, and as far s the freehand goes, it looks wonderful and it isn't that much out of character if you look at some of the Greek shields.

Especially bottom row..

image.png.71dc813cf04d2e0693d798c5219af011.png

Yeah its not too far off its just too modernized. I could see this on like Future Gladiator X or something. I should have tried to keep to more simplistic patterns. perhaps next time! Also good find! it is hard to find good shield art that isnt "300"

1 hour ago, Cicciopiu said:

What can I say? I like your painting style, love the NMM the hi-light are perfect you can undestand where the light come from at the first glance!
Maybe IMO the bronze color is a bit too deep, but, as I already said, just my opinion.
Nice!

Oh all good, what do you mean by "too deep" like too dark? 

5 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Excellent shield! What colors went into your bronze recipe?

Averland yellow (Citadel) was primary, Dryad Brown (Citadel) was the darker brown and I used a Orange Leather (scale 75) and just mixed up and down for shading

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 9:25 PM, Gyar said:

Oh all good, what do you mean by "too deep" like too dark? 

No, I mean too deep in color, I find that bronze has a less yellowish color, more dull and brownish (greeny brown, not even red);

Your bronze looks more like brass to me, but again, just my own opinion! Matter of taste if you get what I mean :winkthumbs:

I'm not very good at NMM so I can't share any recipe, but when I use TMM I mix gold, copper and iron (vallejo metal colors) to get to something similar to bronze, and then just shade it using some sepia and and agrax and adding silver to the base for the highlight.

Again your NMM look great, mine are not advices, just another point of view ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I will try some more dulled down and less yellow, being the first jump I am all in for some ideas! Who knows, that may even change my taste! Sepia is a good idea, it has that red undertone... hmmmm

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By paedia
      I finished one of my favorite figures from the original Bones Kickstarter: Trista, the White Wolf. Patrick Keith is one of my favorite sculptors and he did a great job with her - especially with her realistic proportions and armor. I wasn't digging the original sword, so I swapped it out using the weapon sprue from Bones 3.

I bunch of thanks to all of the forum members who gave great encouragement and suggestions in my WIP thread.

• By paedia
      [Warning: lots of images incoming]

Next up on my table are the miniatures from Cerebria: The Inside World, a boardgame from Mindclash Games in which the forces of Bliss and Gloom vie for control of an evolving personality.

I'm going to try to do these two at a time (one from each team); the first two will be Harmony and Malice.

Session 1 - prime + zenithal highlight

Harmony

Malice

Session 2

Harmony
      With the airbrush, I did base+shading of the wings and base of the body. Colors used:
      - Twilight Blue
      - Snow Shadow
      - Surf Aqua
      - Violet Light
      - Sunset Purple
      - Maggot White

Malice
      For malice, I'm starting with the NMM-bronze-ish body. I base coated with Khaki Shadow, then used Ghoul Skin and Moldy Skin for initial highlighting. Shadows are Woodstain Brown and NMM Gold Shadow (which I am not that fond of for Gold, but seems to work well here). Any other color recommendations? I finished up the session with basing the skirt in Redstone.

• By Mocha
      Hi folks, 

It's been awhile since I posted, and since I've been painting online with friends a lot more, I figured it was time to get back to it! Painted this one via Twitch livestream the other night when someone in chat suggested a freehand pattern similar to a marsh frog (to go with the "bog" theme). While I can't take credit for the idea, we took the concept and ran with it-- I think the freehand really makes him stand out! Below is a frog stock photo I pulled for general reference.

The hardest part was picking a random pattern to draw on the wings and mirroring it on the other side. Oh, and trying not to make him look too cute, with big, cartoony googly eyes, though the sculpt is stinkin' adorable, I just can't stand it! Thanks Bob Ridolfi for creating yet another Reaper sculpt that makes me smile 

I can't decide whether I want to break up the beautiful matte paint finish (all Reaper MSP colors) with a gloss varnish on the egg-like-sac-protuberances on his back... part of me wants to keep it all matte, but another part of me wants it to look extra gross and slimy. Thoughts?

I appreciate you taking a peek! Hope you have a great day 

Thanks,
      Mocha 

• By paedia
      Trista is one of my favorite sculpts; I really love that she is in practical (but still super cool) armor. I wasn't that keen on her existing sword, so I swapped it out for one of the swords on the sprues that came with Bones 3 (I think).

So far, I have some basic lighting blocked in and have done much of the work on her face and hair.

• By Cyradis
      I did the eyes for this one months ago. I'm going to try NMM steel on her armor and weapons (I've mostly done weapons previously). Skin is the olive triad, but i tried the yellow-red-blue top to bottom as tints, in addition to my red brick shadows and golden highlights. Hair is base coated only. Skirt has a dark shadow base, and preliminary deepest shadow layers. It will be a deep red in the end. I'll keep taking it brighter until I am happy with it. I want it to be a bit darker than some of the trim on the armor. Perhaps it will get freehanded. Not sure yet. 

Also... oh my gosh my paint stays wet for SO LONG. What?! How do I? I can blend the things!?

• Who's Online   44 Members, 2 Anonymous, 106 Guests (See full list)