72moonglum

Hackmaster/Ral Partha Hobgoblins-lots of pictures

11 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Thanks Malefactus!  I hate to say it but the basing is my least favorite part of doing miniatures.  It's just painted corn meal and then some static grass on the places I didn't actually put corn meal.  In the good old, pre-internet days, I used to never base my miniatures, but I saw how it makes things look so much nicer, so jumped on the basing bandwagons.

Yes, even some fairly simple basing goes a long way.  I'd be hesitant about using corn meal; I use some Woodland Scenics fine or medium model railroad ballast for that sort of texture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boris Khan said:

I'm so happy someone else remembers the blue-nose bit from the old hobgoblin entries! Great work.

Yup, the original Monster Manual is really my only point of reference. 

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Yes, even some fairly simple basing goes a long way.  I'd be hesitant about using corn meal; I use some Woodland Scenics fine or medium model railroad ballast for that sort of texture.

I do sometimes wonder how it will stand the test of time. It’s totally absorbed into superglue from the bottom and paint from the top. I wonder if in fifty years it would do something crazy - decompose or something similar?

On 1/2/2019 at 10:43 AM, Iridil said:

Lovely orange skin tones - the blue noses take it over the top!

Thank you Iridil! I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to pull off the nose but I think it came out okay. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      So just finished this figure last night.  This is part of a set of four Shadowrun figures that I've been painting recently, the biggest and most time-consuming of the quartet. He didn't have lots of metal, but he's such a big figure the sword and the arm brace kind of are very obvious, so hope they turned out well.  I think they're a little too blue, but that's just the way they turned out.  Anyhoos, enjoy this little Cyclops and his murderous ways!

• By Kangaroorex
      yet another dragon.  this one is an old piece i had most of and decided to go with what i had rather than trying to find the basket.  A fun little piece that I tried to do up as a sky dragon.  My first attempt at a starscape on the back of the wings to give them some interest.  Hope everyone enjoys!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again!
      another figure from the Hackmaster line just finished yesterday, a female half-elf barbarian.  Not sure who the sculptor is, but enjoyed painting her up, pretty simple figure. I also liked her body type, lithe but muscular, not exaggerated chest features, even though  probably not the best armor with which to go into battle.

anyhows, another fun model to paint up, kind of old schoolish, sculpted around 2003 probably, still in this century, but older then a few of you that read these forums.   I see tons of flaws on this one, but you can go discover those as you see fit!

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all!
      So here's my last Hackmaster endeavor, another Jim Johnson figure (really enjoying painting his sculpts), an Elf Magic User with a staff throwing a fireball. I think he was sculpted around 2003 like the previous female elf magic user, and the figure it all kinds of fun.  As always I didn't know what colors to use. I ended up making him blonde, after deciding on lilac for my female mage, and then started painting him from the inside out. I grabbed his shirt as a bright yellow, pants orange, and then I started thinking more autumn colors so red inside of his cloak and the cloak itself an earth brown.

Pretty straightforward figure, didn't have lots of dingly Dangley items going on.  Hackmaster figures either have a lot going on or they are simply elegant.  With them as well, they are larger figures, not the classic 25 mm from early Partha, but this is a line that they acquired not too long ago and in itself was sculpted in this century so a bit of size creep will have occurred. You can see the size difference in these and other figures Jim Johnson sculpted for the Partha brand. 

Did a green flame, now I've done a couple magical green flames instead of just normal fire color, and I'm still way too chicken to do OSL.  Maybe someday. In the meantime, hope you enjoy him!

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 89 Guests (See full list)