Jump to content

Reaper Ron

Announcing Reaper Bones Black!

Recommended Posts

It would be very nice if the new BB will work with rattle cans as I have had zero success with any of the primers suggested in the threads.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Corsair said:

It would be very nice if the new BB will work with rattle cans as I have had zero success with any of the primers suggested in the threads.

 

If there was a simple way to do it I'm sure they would. It's always a give-n-take with miniature casting materials. Sharp vs soft detail, high vs low cost, lots of small parts to assemble vs single or cast or just a few parts, fragile vs tough, etc... Every material and casting process has pros and cons. I'm just excited that the Bones line will be adding more notches to its list of pros.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

 

If there was a simple way to do it I'm sure they would. It's always a give-n-take with miniature casting materials. Sharp vs soft detail, high vs low cost, lots of small parts to assemble vs single or cast or just a few parts, fragile vs tough, etc... Every material and casting process has pros and cons. I'm just excited that the Bones line will be adding more notches to its list of pros.

You nailed it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Airbrushing works fine...  

Stynlrez and an airbrush works great for bones and you can find many colors to choose from. Another benefit, with my setup especially, I can prime and basecoat at 2AM in a rain storm if I want (and I have haha) 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had luck with brush on primers for regular bones, as well as Army Painter primer. I also had luck putting down a non-watered down basecoat. Literally add 0 water. If you need to thin, use flow improver.

 

The main thing with regular bones is to wash them throughly with soapy water and a toothbrush. Then prime or paint them before you’ve handled them a bunch after the washing, as oils from your hands can prevent paint from sticking.

 

 

 

To be clear on the owlbear for January, is it retiring and will no longer be available after this month, or will it be like the dungeon dwellers and can still be purchased in the future, but will no longer be a free option for qualifying orders?

Edited by undel
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 7:55 AM, Corsair said:

Awwwww, rats! :)

 

Well, I imagine any questions about rats could be handled by Reaper again. 

 

They make very fine rats! ::P:

 

Anyway, at least as an advanced tabletop gamer, I haven't needed to prime Bones. Brown Liner works fine, as does a basecoat followed by a wash, then working from there. We'll see what works with Bones Black!

 

And I'm still not clear about what miniature gets selected for black grey vs. white.

 

77016-2.jpg?v=1437651912

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 3:45 AM, undel said:

I’ve had luck with brush on primers for regular bones, as well as Army Painter primer. I also had luck putting down a non-watered down basecoat. Literally add 0 water. If you need to thin, use flow improver.

 

The main thing with regular bones is to wash them throughly with soapy water and a toothbrush. Then prime or paint them before you’ve handled them a bunch after the washing, as oils from your hands can prevent paint from sticking.

 

 

 

To be clear on the owlbear for January, is it retiring and will no longer be available after this month, or will it be like the dungeon dwellers and can still be purchased in the future, but will no longer be a free option for qualifying orders?

The way I understand it from reading Ron's comments on some FB posts, it is available for free this month.  Then at some point in the future it will be released into normal distribution (just not on Feb 1st). 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But it’s already available now for $7.99, right? I read it as it will be either free with a $40 order, or purchased separately for $7.99 in January, but it will no longer be for sale in February. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpaceMonkey said:

But it’s already available now for $7.99, right? I read it as it will be either free with a $40 order, or purchased separately for $7.99 in January, but it will no longer be for sale in February. 

 

Don't read too much into the not available after Jan part. There are three most likely reason for Reaper Ron's statement: It won't be ready for full retail release till later on the due to Bones 4 ks fulfillment in Feb, they want to give the free ones a chance to hit reviews, and lastly it might (though I doubt it) be a run up to a new ks.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpaceMonkey said:

Okay but it’s already available now as a separate direct purchase? Just not sure what you mean by not ready for full retail release? 

 

There was a statement about "not running out of stock", which might take a while to get up and running.  Bones have traditionally had issues with popular models selling out and not being available for months.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpaceMonkey said:

Okay but it’s already available now as a separate direct purchase? Just not sure what you mean by not ready for full retail release? 

Yup, it is available now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 10:44 PM, Reaper Ron said:

All Expansions (Dreadmere, Darkreach, Chronoscope, Lost Valley, Fan Favorites) are all in Bones Black. About half the Options are too. Give or take.

Dungeon Dwellers will continue as a metal line in 2019, but it won't be the free promotional line. The new promotional line for 2019 will be announced tomorrow. Can you guess what that's gong to be? ::D:

 

I just went with the Core set - those will all be the standard / current Bones, correct?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SpaceMonkey said:

Okay but it’s already available now as a separate direct purchase? Just not sure what you mean by not ready for full retail release? 

 

5 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

 

There was a statement about "not running out of stock", which might take a while to get up and running.  Bones have traditionally had issues with popular models selling out and not being available for months.  

 

^This.

 

It's one thing to have a short run available now for packaging as a freebie of the month. And it's another thing to have tens of thousands available already packaged for retail bundles. Ever wonder why it takes so long for any of the ks models to reach retail? It's the time it takes to unpack the models, print new blister cards, and seal them in the blisters. Tens of thousands of them for one model. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×