Reaper Ron

Announcing Reaper Bones Black!

17 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We're agreed then. Separate bases are the new sliced bread.

Would that be Dwarf Bread if you are basing a dwarf figure?

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

You don't slice dwarf bread... at least not with a puny knife. 

But yeah, being able to reach those awkward nooks is wonderful.   

• Like 3

I've three owlbears coming with my latest order from Reaper.  I'm looking forward to putting the new material through its paces.

The Egg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You don't slice dwarf bread... at least not with a puny knife. 

But yeah, being able to reach those awkward nooks is wonderful.   

Chainsaw with Troll Teeth.

This is one reason why the Trolls have traditionally been so "upset" with Dwarves.

GEM

• Haha 4

Just got my order in! This new material is shockingly firm,  ::o:  and looks to have metal mini level detail. The mold lines are very minor and in easy places to remove, like along the ends of the arm feathers, the outside bottom edges of the feet, across the brow of the face and up the ears. I haven't tried removing them yet, but with such a hard plastic it should be night and day easier than soft bones models. Most of them would be hard to notice on a painted figure without removing them at all. Like the others have said, I do wish the left arm wasn't glued on at the factory. It's gonna be hard to get in there with a brush.

Overall, the new plastic looks even better than I had hoped. We're gonna need way more than one chunky figure to know what to expect from Bones Black. Cannot wait to see some BonBla characters minis. I already have quite a few of the Bones IV expansion minis in metal. Looking forward to priming them all up grey and comparing the figures side by side.

Also got a lovely sample paint! ◠ヮ◠ Kinda looks like it may be close to 09414 Cats-Eye Green??? I don't have that one to compare so no idea really. It's pretty though. :wub:

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Also got a lovely sample paint! ◠ヮ◠ Kinda looks like it may be close to 09414 Cats-Eye Green??? I don't have that one to compare so no idea really. It's pretty though. :wub:

I think I got the same paint, planning on using it for my Christmas Dragons.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2019 at 7:45 PM, Marc said:

I love that the figure is separate from the base! Makes it WAAAY better for folks that prefer to add their own bases!

I'd like to see a line of Reaper textured etc. bases. Heck, I'd KS them!

Reaper Base Boss in Bones Black! :lol:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just swap the slotted bases to peg-in-foot casts, plus a base with a peg-hole. That would make me super happy! Metal and Bones both! 

But yeah, Bones Black Base Boss would rock too! 

• Like 6

On 1/4/2019 at 5:36 PM, Chaoswolf said:

How does the material cut? Is it just as easy as plain ol' white Bones to cut?

(Please note that I'm not asking anyone to cut up their new toy. When someone does decide to do so, i'd like to know, though.)

About similar difficulty to HIPs plastic or ABS as a reference point, but this is also a chunky fella so there's a definite curve based on thickness of the model. Not as soft as original Bones.

I'll do some destructive testing tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How does the Black Bones take paint?

Does it need the same approach as the white bones or can we handle it more like resin/metal minis?

• Like 4

Just got my owlbear in the mail today and I was so pleasantly surprised by the quality I decided to finally take the leap and register just to talk about it (long time lurker). I'm glad to see I'm not the only one excited by the base. I've never been particularly impressed with the "broccoli" bases most bones have so its nice to see a figure with the base already separate. That said, its also probably the first base I will keep as its round, sits flat, and most important its actually the correct size for D&D (why can't they all be like this?).

As for the figure itself I really like the harder plastic which allows the detail to show though. I'm curious, is Bones Black even still PVC? Probably going to have to revisit what primers and paints work best. Anyone tried plastic glue on it?

• Like 13

Welcome @Ant

I'm curious about the new material as well.

What primer or basecoat will be best?

Is it like the white Bones , hydrorepellant?

And what glue is best for this?

Anyway, stick around and show what you paint!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2

Congrats on finally delurking!

And Welcome to the Reaper Forums.

Still waiting for my Owl. Should be arriving soon.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 5