Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

You Only Live Once.

I always preferred "you live, you learn", but I suppose that YLYL is rather more difficult to pronounce.

I prefer Carpe Diem* and I don't mind if people say "you only live once" but people saying "YOLO" is right up there with people saying "LOL". Oddly "BRB" doesn't bother me like that...  

*not to be confused with Carpe DM. Don't seize the DM, even if they did allow you to kill your character. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

I prefer Carpe Diem* and I don't mind if people say "you only live once" but people saying "YOLO" is right up there with people saying "LOL". Oddly "BRB" doesn't bother me like that...  

*not to be confused with Carpe DM. Don't seize the DM, even if they did allow you to kill your character. 

I say "lawwwwl" when it's that kind of sort of not really funny and I don't feel like laughing.  Occasionally spoken sarcastically.

"Burrb" is something occasionally said in our place, although it's usually "bee arr bee bio", at least back in the MMO days when we did raid content heavily.  You'd clear a wing, and there'd be a call for a quick break (usually "take 5 everyone") and you'd get "brb, cig" almost as often as "brb bio".  We had one joker who'd say "brb deathstick" on occasion in our casual raiding group (that eerily got further than the "hardcore" raid group, and in less time too)...

(for those that are "HUHH?  What is this speak?!?!?".... "brb bio" means "Be Right back, I have to pee")

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 5, 2019

Have you ever used a CB [citizen band] radio?

Yes.

As a youngster in the 70s, I even had a registered handle.

It has been over 30 years since I've used one.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I always preferred "you live, you learn", but I suppose that YLYL is rather more difficult to pronounce.

The Yolo is mostly use to give an excuse why somebody does something.

Jump out of a plane!

Bingedrink!

Wrestle a Shark!

YOLO!!!!

:zombie:

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The Yolo is mostly use to give an excuse why somebody does something.

Jump out of a plane!

Bingedrink!

Wrestle a Shark!

YOLO!!!!

:zombie:

YOLO, for when "classic" sayings like "Seize the day!" don't quite seem strong enough, and the infamous saying "hey guys, watch this!" seems too risky plain...

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Grew up with them in all of my dad's trucks (even though he was hard of hearing and presumably couldn't really hear what was going on?!?)  and subsequently had them in nearly every truck I owned for many years - they used to be great as an early warning system for both accidents and coppers and to help keep you awake on long drives listening to the truckers gripe about non-trucker drivers or shoot the breeze in general.

These days, smart phones with google maps, driving at sensible speeds and loads of caffeine have replaced them in my driving world, but a couple of my brothers still keep them in their trucks for hunting and what-not back in the sticks where mobile phones don't work so well.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope, although I have watched a movie where people used one to annoy an insane trucker. This did not go well for anyone involved ::(: 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

What other hobbies do you have?

Fly-tying.

Being Secret Head of the Illuminati

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

I have, uhm, a few...? >.>;;;

- Autocross.  Even though I don't have a car, it's still something I enjoy.  Just haven't done it for a while, but got really excited-happy (think "omg he's home" puppy kind of excited I guess, lol) when a neighbor came home with a Miata that had white bingo dabber ink on it (or whatever it is they use for the numbers) 

- Photography, namely street photography.  No, I don't take pictures of the street, but more.. Life itself in and around streets.  That and, yeah, I do take pictures of various random things too. 

- Infrared photography.  Haven't gotten into this yet as I'm still wrestling with sending in my one and only camera body or getting a second one first, but 720nm infrared (makes some fairly ethereal photos) is rather interesting to me, with 590nm a close second (because omg, reddish-orange (or orange-gold) false colours!) 

- Modular synthesis.  Man I miss my modular synth, and I'm working on saving up towards acquiring a new one, even if some of the people on popular modular synth forums (MW comes to mind, even if I rarely post there now) would consider it heresy to buy a complete system in one go... I want the Make Noise Black and Gold Shared System Plus, what can I say...  So much potential in that small little box.  Bonus: it comes with HOT PINK PATCH CABLES! 

- Pokémon Go.  Yup, still play it, on occasion. 

- DJing.  I don't do it anywhere near as much as I used to, but DnB, hardstyle, and gabber are still very close to my heart.  Only ever did bedroom djing, with occasional online streaming.  Apparently I was doing something right, because I still occasionally get friends asking me when I'm going to be going online again with streaming.. 

- Gaming!  Don't care if it's console or PC, although I arguably prefer PC just because it's easier to do surround gaming (three monitors at once).  Currently it's various tower defense games, alongside a few different games on my Nintendo Switch. 

- War gaming.  40k used to be a big thing for me, and I suspect if I found a level headed place to play at that is easy to get to, I'd probably grt back into it fairly heavily...  At least for Kill Team, and Age of Sigmar warbands or whatever it's called. 

- Going out and just exploring to see things I might not have seen.  Sure, without a car this is harder, but... Still something I enjoy.  Used to "deliberately" get lost to see what I'd find. 

- Cycling.  Not something atm, but soon enough I want to get back into cross-country riding...  The style of mountain bike riding, not actually biking across the country. 

- Astronomy / astrophotography.  It's tempting, I want to get into it deep, but... We shall see.  Telescopes I want aren't exactly cheap, but they aren't expensive either.  Technically will work with my current camera... Technically because my camera gets reaaaally bad sensor noise once exposures go above thirty seconds, but there are techniques to bypass this. 

- Case modding.  I bought my dremel 17 years ago for Project Wulfenbane.  Was a lot of fun.  I'd still be doing such if, well, there were decent cheap cases to hack apart, and I wouldn't get in trouble with condo board for accidental overspray...  Still tempting though, especially scratch built cases! 

- Experimental cooking!  Self-explanatory, I suspect.  Results don't always come out as planned, but according to hubby I have a knack for at least making it taste good, even if a bit weird at times. 

Probably missed one or two, but that's life :p

8 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Writing, Warhammer 40k, board games, Magic: the Gathering, video games, stuff like that.

You missed keeping the world overly colourful or some such! :p

• Like 8

On 1/4/2019 at 10:49 PM, Corsair said:

I think I still own one.  I don't remember if I sold it before we moved or not. 
But I haven't used on in decades. 

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

My biggest hobby is doing anything creative. The biggest focus of that is gaming and minis, but it occasionally gets directed at things like doing paintings for my wife or the house, or helping my wife with her stained glass, or making Christmas gifts for friends/family. 

Inactive that I'd like to take up again when I get time and (mostly) money are:
Sailing
Autocross
Model railroads

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

I used to be able to say cycling and hiking. But due to recent weight gain and lack of time I can’t say that anymore.:down:

Besides minis and gaming, and keeping up with online hobby sites like this one... video games and reading.

I’ve always been a Star Wars and Star Trek fan, so there was a time when I used to collect the figures and ships. I don’t anymore but I still have all the stuff I collected boxed up.

And as I hockey fan I follow the local teams, though again not as much the last few years as I used to.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

Sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9