Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

22 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

And here we go...already the Lizard Overlord you're carrying speaks through you...

Yes, the LO even tells her when to go to the bathroom!

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

What is your favorite mini?

As basically everyone has said- it's really hard to pin down 1 actual favourite miniature. However I definitely have a favourite category, which is "monsters" followed by "creatures" where monsters means: Things that don't exist in the real world (owlbears, hippogriffs, dragons etc) and creatures means: Animals that do exist, or are modified slightly like "dire" animals. I don't mind painting people, but they do find themselves drifting to the bottom of my priority list. Just as well really because my D&D campaigns often require more monsters etc than people miniatures.

• Like 10

On 1/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

What other hobbies do you have?

Roleplaying, reading, running, board-games, netflix 

• Like 8

Jan 6: other hobbies: 

Rock climbing, though I get to do that a lot less now that we have kids to run around to activities (they haven't taken to rock climbing... yet...), reading, cooking and a *cough*mild*cough* addiction to computer games that is getting treated with some time on the newly acquired PS4...  :winkthumbs:

Jan 7: favorite mini:

I'm truly not sure about this one.  There are so many out there that I love...  They are usually the monsters or demons or other strange pieces that I find were well captured, but I think at this point in time, I will go with Atonement by Michael Kontraros.  Hoping to start work on it this year, once I get the one wing replaced as it came broken (air bubbles in the resin).  

Atonement.jpg.5ed42d8f9c8dae470911352be6c29172.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

The trio of Dwarven Shieldmaidens sculpted for the Warlord line with input from me to the sculptor and then painted up by the sculptor as a gift.

Unknowingly color coordinated to match the house decor and proudly displayed under glass on the mantle.

Because Derek is just that amazing.

14175_shieldmaidena_ds.jpg

Inspiration Gallery Links

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14175_shieldmaidena_ds.jpg

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14175_shieldmaidenb_ds.jpg

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14175_shieldmaidenc_ds.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rahz said:

Jan 6: other hobbies: 

Rock climbing, though I get to do that a lot less now that we have kids to run around to activities (they haven't taken to rock climbing... yet...), reading, cooking and a *cough*mild*cough* addiction to computer games that is getting treated with some time on the newly acquired PS4...  :winkthumbs:

Jan 7: favorite mini:

I'm truly not sure about this one.  There are so many out there that I love...  They are usually the monsters or demons or other strange pieces that I find were well captured, but I think at this point in time, I will go with Atonement by Michael Kontraros.  Hoping to start work on it this year, once I get the one wing replaced as it came broken (air bubbles in the resin).  

Atonement.jpg.5ed42d8f9c8dae470911352be6c29172.jpg

Holy balls that is amazing! 

3 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

The trio of Dwarven Shieldmaidens sculpted for the Warlord line with input from me to the sculptor and then painted up by the sculptor as a gift.

Unknowingly color coordinated to match the house decor and proudly displayed under glass on the mantle.

Because Derek is just that amazing.

14175_shieldmaidena_ds.jpg

Inspiration Gallery Links

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14175_shieldmaidena_ds.jpg

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14175_shieldmaidenb_ds.jpg

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14175_shieldmaidenc_ds.jpg

Ooo! I love those shield maidens! Thanks for helping to make them awesome!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

Some of my favourite minis to paint have been devils and demons.

The Tiefling fighter I painted for one of my players is also in the top 5. It might be the best work I've ever done on a mini.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Well this is surprising. The text book definition [of hobby] is very open ended and expansive.

So I have learned things. 

Side effect: I have more hobbies than I ever thought. 

For years I have thought a hobby is an activity that results in Something Being Created.  Like a stamp collection, or paintings, coin collection, butterfly collection, or a pile of figures...obviously. Model making, ships in bottles, pottery, ceramics, colored sand jars, beads and jewelry...anything where materials get assembled into a new thing. 

I dunno why I narrowed the term in my head so much.

I was wondering what your own definition was. 

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

Oh, uh...

Let's see...

the elf from Heroquest

The chainmail game hobgoblin and bugbear

Nathavaar (DDS2) and Narthrax

The Pathfinder psychic

GWs Black Templar champion

Dead guy on the throne from Rackham

I could go on... And on... 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

Edward Suren's Savant on a Donkey from his Harlequin: Napoleon in Egypt series. The little top hat wearing, parasol toting Savant mounted on a Donkey is or was a 30 mm miniature.

The last time I saw one was probably well over forty years ago. Time has a way of making things from long ago better than they actually were, but having left an impression that has

endured for all this time speaks volumes for the quality of the miniature.

• Like 9

On 1/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Corsair said:

For January 6, 2019

What other hobbies do you have?

Drawing and painting, which I started in 2016 (I started mini painting in 2012). I'm also a guitarist/bassist/drummer, which at this point is a hobby though I did it professionally when I was younger. Also also I love to cook, with a focus on fresh, simple meals.

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

Atonement, already posted, is a strong contender.

But I think Kingdom Death's Flower Knight still holds the top spot.

• Like 8

CB radio

When I was a kid way back when, my dad was a trucker and I would sometimes get to use the CB. have not touched one in years.

other hobbies.....

YOU MEAN THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN MINIS??? yes actually 

playing games with my kids/family. My two oldest are grown and the oldest is married, so any time I get the chance I like to play games mostly board games, although I have run them through couple of adventures and they want a bit more. 

Video games, I play a few that my youngest son has got me hooked on. Namely Skyrim, No Man's Sky, Black ops 3, (We love to 'death match' each other) Watch Dogs 2. 

I love wargames, but I have not played in quite a while. it has been over a year or close to since I played. So many games that I like, but very few opponents in my area. 

RPGs, both talking about and playing, in what ever way I can. I have a PbP here on the forums. Also I am writing an adventure and making a map for it. 

I like to draw and write, but I am not great at either on and I am loathe to share any of it 

Course the obvious painting minis, again I am not good at it and I do ot like to share too much, because I know it is not up to standards. 

I use to ride a bicycle, I have stopped over the years but I do miss it. I really need to get back into it. 

that for the most part is the bulk of my hobbies, I enjoy other things as well, but have a hard time doing any of them. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

I don't know about overall favorite but the few favorite that I've painted are:

• Frost Giant Queen
  • Sphinx
  • Dragons (most of them anyway)
  • Dagon

I think that whatever I want is my current favorite. I just ordered the shipwreck revenant which has been on my to get list for a long time.

• Like 7

I forgot the fave mini. I have lots of 'favorite minis.  I can not choose just one. it is like trying to pick a favorite child, yeah sure one or more, might aggravate you, but you still love them for who and what they are. sorry if that sounds cheesy. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

Like everyone else it is hard to choose just one so here are a few:

Favorite that I have painted is my Jedi, conversion of 77068: Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard:

WDS3.thumb.JPG.b38a93723b1e70525af402c5ab4b28ab.JPG

Favorite that I have but not painted, Mamabuho from Spria Mirabilis:

5F8C5A3D-4E8E-4AB6-9891-CD0C22138B0F.thumb.jpeg.7f1a5dcb257abe227a9763e870a77f3d.jpeg

Favorite that I own painted by another, Vampire Bride painted by Ben Komets:

2E5F6621-F842-4CD0-81E2-B754DE812E73.thumb.jpeg.a82c39ac0b691deaefeca699699ee833.jpeg

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

For January 7, 2019

It is definitely something I have painted.  Even if it was a terrible drudge at the time I love having them finished.  

KMD: Phoenix 

Pathfinder Red Dragon (as swamp dragon) 

for sheer fun to paint?  

Hippo Avatar - Bones 2.  

• Like 7