Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

34 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 9, 2019

What is your favorite proverb or saying?

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Not sure if this is exactly a favourite, but it's certainly true.

Also: "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease."

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I honestly can't think of one that's common, but the following have been personal mantras throughout the years... 

- If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough! 

- When life hands you sheet metal, pull out the dremel and hammer away (case modding saying I used to have a decade ago) 

- Don't party too hard! (something I used to say when I knew people were going out to party, and back when I really hated saying goodbye) 

Uhm... Why not. 

- We all die sometime, so might as well die for a purpose.  Banzai! (was kind of my mantra as a squad leader in Battlefield 2142.  If you liked your K:D ratio, you did not run in my squads) 

- Bzzrt!  You still have ammo, and we have objectives to secure.  You're not allowed to die yet! 

I ran what many called "effective suicide squads" in Battlefield 2142....  I played Titan mode predominately, and usually our shield would go down, while theirs was still up, so I took on "volunteers" (my squad, hence why the quotes) and we would roam around, harassing the various missile silos so we could get their shield down....  And then blitz their Titan...  Got really good at timing things....  Especially since once we had the shield within one missile there'd usually be two APC's rolling in right near their Titan for us to launch up, with 5-7 seconds before their shield died... 

Somehow, my K:D ratio was semi-decent, despite being mostly support (either heavy weapons gunner/support or assault/medic) ,but I didn't really care about that metric.  Just trying to keep the enemy on their toes as much as possible.  You'd be amazed how fast the assault on your Titan ends when there's suddenly two squads that are comprised of four recon (with rdx), one support, and one assault per team, and two consoles go boom within twenty seconds of their shield dying, with the other two going fifteen seconds later, sometimes sooner.. 

As for actual sayings and such, I now pretty much live by the words "never make a promise you'll regret for the rest of your life", and "if an opportunity for something somewhat rare is offered up, contemplate it for a while before deciding".  This also ties in with never break a promise given, and "ones word is only as good as the actions that back it up"

It's the smallest of things in some people's eyes, but... I swore that next time Grandpa was in town, I would make sure to not only spend time with him while he was in town, but that ~I~ would be the one paying for the Wendy's chicken burger.  Cancer kind of took that away.  Well, the relapse did...  I also adamantly swore that it was Grandpa, a Mack truck couldn't stop him, and I'd see him once he was out of the hospital... 

Many say I regret the promise (and one of these days, I'll probably agree with... Oh who am I kidding, I'll never agree with them unless it's "probably should have visited with Grandpa instead of taking that extra shift at work because two people were sick")... I've just used it as a fiery drive to do what I can to help defeat cancer once and all!  Still weighs on my mind though, with soft frustration that an outside force made it so I couldn't keep the promise, so I instead do what I can to help others out, especially those I consider and call friend. 

Also, the whole "be true to those you consider friends" is very much so at my core, doubly so because not many actually make it past / pierce the shield that reveals who I really and truly am - probably something due to having grown up as a military brat.  I do make friends, and can easily, it's just... Not many make it to the point of lifelong friends, if that makes any sense. 

I suppose "keep walking on your chosen path, no matter what comes to pass.  Enjoy the detours, and little things in life" also applies.... 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.

• Like 9

Tis better to keep ones mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Also

The Golden Rule:  Do unto other as you would have others do unto you.

GEM

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

“It is better to live for one day as a tiger than to live for a thousand years as a sheep... or a wolf.

(Okay. I added that last bit) :ph34r:

:devil:

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Sufficient unto the Day is the evil thereof. 

**Better is the enemy of good enough. 

**If if it works, don’t fix it. 

Those last two have related underlying concepts as does this:

3 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

"If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

“It is better to live for one day as a tiger than to live for a thousand years as a sheep... or a wolf.

The-Tiger-The-Lion-And-The-Wolf.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Corruptio optimi pessima. 

(Corruption of the best, is the worst.)

Also, "Noli me tangere" cause the first person to touch my pregnant belly is gonna see Jesus. <_<

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

There have already been some good ones listed; I'm not certain I have just one.

3 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I am going to give this the thoughtful, mature response that it deserves.

9be52f2275e10709fedd1d9e861f2bb6--smiling-animals-happy-faces.jpg.dcc8a1eeae1ae0f0caa03f1dd8373eeb.jpg

• Haha 13

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Interesting question, I've never thought much about this before but there are a few things I find myself saying quite a lot:

"It is what it is" when in regular company or "Alea Iacta Est" (the die is cast) when in gaming or polite company, this comes from the fact that a lot of what I do (I'm particularly thinking of my cat rescue work here) is reactive, people are always saying to me "If only NAME had done this" "If only I had gone there and seen that" but- It Is What It Is. We can't change the past, we can learn from it, and try to teach people or encourage better habits going forward, but that doesn't change what's already happened and we have to react to the situation at hand- not the more ideal one we can imagine! 

When I say this in a gaming context- it's usually way more literal! The Die Is Cast- only the Lucky trait will save you from that 1 XD

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

This too shall pass

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

That [object] isn't going to [verb] itself.

and

There is no quantity of push-ups I can do that will make you stronger.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Ad infinitum et ultra

• Like 4
  • Haha 2