Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 10, 2019

What was your favorite childhood story?

As far as I can remember, I don't have one. I just enjoyed reading in general, and read everything I could get my hands on. I'm sure I had favorites from before I could read on my own, but what they were is a mystery.

My mom bought the Chronicles of Prydain for me in second or third grade and I remember really enjoying that series.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

I too loved the Chronicles Of Narnia, and thought I was very clever for picking up on the religious themes XD The Harry Potter books became huge when I was at just the right age for them too so I fell in love with those.  On a more personal level when I was very very small my mum used to make up bedtime stories for me about the adventures of my dog and my neighbours dogs, and those are some very treasured memories :)

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

ElfQuest - so many hours of pretending to be wolf riders, and in dreams I still fly like the elves of Blue Mountain. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Chronicles of Narnia, Lone Wolf (and Grey Star) by Joe Dever,  The Time Machine, The Stand.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Childhood was a very long time ago for me...at least, the first one, but I remember an illustrated copy of One Thousand & One Arabian Nights that I loved.

Remembering something from so long ago must make it my favorite.

• Like 8

I would have to say Tom Swift books at first followed by The Farmer in the Sky by Heilien

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, malefactus said:

Childhood was a very long time ago for me...at least, the first one, but I remember an illustrated copy of One Thousand & One Arabian Nights that I loved.

Remembering something from so long ago must make it my favorite.

Considering your extreme venerability, malefactus, that might almost be Sir Richard Burtons* version of "A Thousand and One Nights". In which case an illustrated version would be... very interesting...

*The explorer, not the actor.

• Like 6

Sir Burton's account of being the first known infidel to penetrate Mecca is still mesmerizing!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Sir Burton's account of being the first known infidel to penetrate Mecca is still mesmerizing!

I fear that "penetrate" is the operative word...:blush:

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

As a young child:  Ferdinand (the original story that the recently based a movie on) and The Monster at the End of This Book

As a 5 to 10 year-old:  Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (who also happens to be my wife's great uncle, not that I would have known or cared about that back then) and also The Ramona Quimby series of books by Beverly Cleary

At around 10, I discovered Tolkien and fantasy and I started reading so many books it is hard to follow me after that.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

I think Nancy Drew was the first series I really got into, nearly the only children's fiction with female protagonists at the time. 

• Like 9

Favorite Story? I don't know that I have a favorite story, but I have some favorite memories of being told stories. When I was very tiny my grandfather would tell me stories about talking animals in odd scenarios. He also told me they were stories he made up. It wasn't until much later in life, long after he was gone, that I realized he was just telling me stories from Aesop's Fables. 

Fast forward a whole lot of years and I'm taking a latin exam I was a bit unprepared for and I realize the text I'm having trouble with is just a romanized version of one of the fables he used to tell me. I remembered just enough of it to give a passable English translation and passed the exam with a better score than expected! Thanks grandpa!

• Like 8

On 1/8/2019 at 11:30 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 9, 2019

What is your favorite proverb or saying?

Don't really have a favorite but this one came to mind late last year...

"Fighting tyranny since The Whiskey Rebellion."  Don't where, when or who coined the phrase, but it struck a chord with me.  I guess I'm just a rebellious bootlegger at heart.  :blues:

• Like 4

Most of the stories I was told as a kid revolved around the tribe's hunting/ fishing expeditions.  I guess my absolute favorite story was the time Granpa took out a sabertooth all by himself. Although My father's story about losing granpa in a whaling trip comes a close second. 

• Like 4