Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

How did you meet your spouse/significant other?

First encountered in passing on the stairs in the Math Department building at University of California: Davis.  He was descending while I was ascending.  He came around the corner, saw my shirt, which was a math pun, and commented, "Nice Shirt."  

• Like 11

Hey, evil halfling, thanks for the PM!

I met my wife at Church, We went on a double date, when we were both dating other people! A few months later, both my gf and her bf made fools of both of us. I was smart enough to ask her out and now we have been married almost 35 years.

• Like 8

Since the story of how I met my current wife is more PG 21, I will relay How I met my favorite wife, Selket.

Picture it Egypt, I forget the year.

King Narmer had just unified all of Egypt, There were still a few of the nobles who were holding out pledging their allegiance to the 'new' king. Menno was one of those. Menno was a noble sheerly because of all the money he had amassed in trading, (PC dictates I not mention what he was trading). Menno had a lot of sway in the Memphis region. Menno had no heirs to take over his trading company, so He was trying to marry of his daughters. Everyone one of them either had a suitor or had been promised to someone, all except his oldest daughter. Now custom was since she was first born she should marry first. Now you may be wondering as to why she she was not wed already, well she was a strong willed girl that grew into a gorgeous strong will woman. She had men lined up to court her, only she was not having it. Men who pursued her too quickly died usually from a scorpion sting. Did I mention she like to keep scorpions as pets.

As a mid level officers in Narmer army I was picked to try and woe her and bring the support of her house to our side. When I presented myself as a potential suitor, I was asked to leave in a very not nice way. I was foreign born and only a mid level officer and in the hated Narmer's army no less, Her father was besides himself that I had even thought I was worthy, so he issued a challenge, if I could spent one evening with her(NOT that way, get your mind out of the gutter, it was supervised), he would consider letting me court her.

Now I went into this knowing his daughter was a beauty and I went in because I was ordered to, so there was no love in it at first, however when I first glimpsed her, to say my heart skipped a few beat would not to it justice. I am not a poet or writer, but both have piled flowery words on women, less beautiful then my Selket, even the fair Nefertiti, who yes was very gorgeous, paled in comparison. Anyways, Selket was told she was spending an evening with a suitor, well to say she was furious, did I mention she had one hell of a temper and was not afraid to use it, is a gross understatement. we meet for the first time in a house her father had rented for the occasion. See he was expecting a body and did not want it in HIS house. We meet, I fell deeply in love, but I could see the storm clouds in her eyes. I did what no other man had ever done, I knelt before her and ask her to consider me as a potential husband. As I gazed upon her face she smirked, and told me that she would consider me, if and only if I kissed her favorite pet scorpion. I agreed, for while I did not wish to die, I knew I did want to live without her as my wife.

She picked up the scorpion off her shoulder and placed it on her hand and held it up to me. I raised my hand next to hers, the scorpion crawled on to my hand. I slowly raised my hand towards my face and told it in a whisper, "You little one, hold my fate." I slowly and gently kissed my first and last scorpion. As I handed the scorpion back to Selket, she was smiling. We spent the evening with the family of the house feasting and telling stories. Selket and I getting to know each other better. A month later she was my wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

Couldn't come up with just one mini as a favourite so I skipped that question.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 10, 2019

What was your favorite childhood story?

Always hard when asking about favourites. Have a lot and it's tough to pick one because I don't usually obsess over just one thing. Maybe the Chronicles of Prydain when I was a preteen. As a little kid Dr Suess' Go Dog Go. Loved that book for some reason.

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 11, 2019

Ge asked this a lot because people want to know how a canadian farm boy ended up with a russian wife way before the current wave of eastern European immigration to Canada. Short version is that I'd been to Russia and wanted to keep travelling there. Ran away from home in my mid 20's because I was fed up with some family bs at the time. I made the acquaintance of a lady from Vladivostok on a travel website. She lived in Seattle but the funny part is her husband's grandparents lived about 150 km from me in Saskatchewan. She said if I wanted to travel to her home town she'd get her family to help me out and introduce me to some people. My wife and wife's mother both worked at the same school where her mother did. Her mom asked my wife if she'd be interested in showing me around. She didn't want to but my mother in law talked her into it. We met and hit it off right away despite the language difficulties and we've been together for 16 years  now.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

She sought advice on the internet for purchasing a dog.

I gave advice, we chatted, we emailed, we met.

She got me and my dog Odin then..

So all this time I thought being a wolf was just a forum identity, but it turns out you really are a canine? :lol:  I mean, she got the dog she was looking for, right? ::D:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

I found Sir Cyr sleeping in the electronics physics lab on the weekend during undergrad. I was sneaking in to do my projects without the mean professors there. He just had no concept of a sleep schedule. I gave him tea. He got me a sammich. I showed him my bag of dice, and bribed him to do homework with me by offering cheese. 

2 hours ago, ladystorm said:

First encountered in passing on the stairs in the Math Department building at University of California: Davis.  He was descending while I was ascending.  He came around the corner, saw my shirt, which was a math pun, and commented, "Nice Shirt."  

LS wears nerd shirts. Instantly, LS is more awesome in my mind. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So all this time I thought being a wolf was just a forum identity, but it turns out you really are a canine? :lol:  I mean, she got the dog she was looking for, right? ::D:

No, she got the dog with the wolf as a freebie. ::P:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I screwed up some travel plans over Thanksgiving break in college.  I ended up in my home city for 1 night, before catching a ride back to college the next morning at 6am. 

A friend from Highschool called me and asked if I wanted to go to a party.

It was me, my two friends, my wife and her two friends. We drove between our parents' houses and hung out at a 24hr restaurant.

I decided that she was the "Least Annoying" of the three girls, and paid attention only to her.  We started dating by Chrismas (1997). 

• Like 10

I worked with her mom who brought her to a Christmas party. She had purple hair which I found pretty cool. We chatted for a few over the very large carafe of hot buttered rum I'd brought and that was it.

About a month later her mom asked if I could drop by to help move a piano. Got it moved and her daughter (my now wife) dropped by complaining she had locked her keys in her car. Being the happy, helpful sort I walked with her over to her car and demonstrated how to break into a 70's Honda with a coat hanger (don't judge). Apparently this was a useful skill in her opinion so she asked if I wanted to go grab a beer with her. We've pretty much been inseparable ever since. 

• Like 11

After the place I worked at closed I got a job at a Hospital in IS (computers for those that are TLA challenged).  After working for a few months my boss sent me a consult with a user in another department.  I was interested but there was not a lot of interaction between our two areas.  A little while later I heard through a friend that she was looking for bikers for Corporate Challenge (a corporate Olympics that had team sports like Tug of War, Volleyball and Time predicted 10K Bike)  I liked to bike and thought that this would be a good way to meet her in a non threating environment.  

It worked.  We won our event and our company won our division of Corporate Challenge.  At the victory party I asked her out to dinner and a movie.  It was Fantasia rerelease.  She liked that.  Two weeks latter she helped me to celebrate my 40th birthday.  We have been together ever since.

3 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I worked with her mom who brought her to a Christmas party. She had purple hair which I found pretty cool. We chatted for a few over the very large carafe of hot buttered rum I'd brought and that was it.

About a month later her mom asked if I could drop by to help move a piano. Got it moved and her daughter (my now wife) dropped by complaining she had locked her keys in her car. Being the happy, helpful sort I walked with her over to her car and demonstrated how to break into a 70's Honda with a coat hanger (don't judge). Apparently this was a useful skill in her opinion so she asked if I wanted to go grab a beer with her. We've pretty much been inseparable ever since. 

I would only judge if it was only 70's Hondas that you could break into.

• Like 12

Nissiana and I were both in the same "Oral Interpretation of Literature" class during my freshman year of college. We both wanted to perform Alfred Noyes' "The Highwayman" for the poetry segment, so we stick up a conversation. I wound up using Eugene Fields' "The Duel," and we wound up becoming very close friends.

We were in several other classes together, most notably a series of Stage Combat classes. Which means we have been fighting each other longer than we've been a couple.

She also DM'd for my group in college, during which time we both dated other people. Eventually, we were both single, and now we're not single anymore.

• Like 13

On 1/10/2019 at 4:19 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 10, 2019

What was your favorite childhood story?

While I read pretty much everything someone put in front of me from 6-16, three series stick out:

- Bartimäus Sequence, about a kid summoning an ancient demon to do his bidding. The demon isn't really happy about that. A lot of the story is written from the point of view of the demon, including footnotes. Quite hilarious.

- The Chrestomanci books by Dianna Wyne Jones. About parallel worlds and magic. Great thing is, you don't have to read them in order, as they are no typical book series, more a collection of stories set in the same universe, sometimes with character overlap.

- Temeraire series. Fantasy history, set in the Napolean wars, but every nation has dragons as their air force. Dragons vary in size, with the larger ones having ship like crews. And the dragons talk. And who doesn't like dragons?

If it's about the pre-reading age, I really liked Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver.

World of Warcraft trade chat. Whoever is familiar with the game, will probably agree how difficult it is to find quality players with that thing, never mind friends or a partner. We were a fairly new guild, needed 10 players to play, one just vanished over night, so we spammed that chat for a hunter. My now SO answered and was pretty good (too good for us at that time) and we persuaded him to stay. He quit WoW not that long after that, but stuck around on the Voice Chat server. Became pretty good friends, three years later I told him I was about to break up with my then-bf (who was quite a douche, but I was too stubborn to admit that after all my family had said so before :lol:) and he suggested we could give it a try. 

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

A mutual friend invited me to a game night at his place. We played the Battlestar Galactica board game. I lost horribly. It was all up hill from there. ^_^

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

Through friends who were dating.

I was in the Navy, station on board the USS Alexandria with my friend Adam.  He was dating a girl from Boston who was in Nursing school.  They came up with the idea of inviting a bunch of guys from the boat and a bunch of the girls from the school to go out to Medieval Manor, a dinner theater in Boston (think Medieval Time with out the sand and horses).  We all had a great time (even though I was one of only two guys from the boat that went, and the other guy brought his girl friend).  Then they talked me into going out with them afterwards to a dance club (they played disco on the second floor) called Polyester's.  Afterwards, I asked for Awesome Wife's friends number.  She wasn't interested as she was too busy in her MBA program and Awesome Wife basically chased me down and clubbed me like a baby seal.  Coming up on 21 years of marriage in April.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5