Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

Hmmmmmmmmm

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 13, 2019

I have over _____ minis waiting to be painted...

Most of you have answered with either Gully or Goblin Maths even though technically there wasn’t a question. :blues: 

All we know is that, when questioned,   @Corsair has admitted to having an unknown number of Miniatures. 

For myself: I have never attempted a count... ...the other mathethical trooth that @buglips*the*goblin tried to teach us is that madness ensues if one engages in counting activity that approaches or threatens to exceed twenty. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Okay. I can see some folks would like more serious answers to this statement.

With that in mind I can confidently say,

I have over 40... years worth of collected minis waiting to be painted...

Seriously.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Okay. I can see some folks would like more serious answers to this statement.

With that in mind I can confidently say,

I have over 40... years worth of collected minis waiting to be painted...

Seriously.

By that standard, so do I, and I haven't hit 40. I have some of my dad's collection, and I found one with a stamp from the 70s :poke:

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

By that standard, so do I, and I haven't hit 40. I have some of my dad's collection, and I found one with a stamp from the 70s :poke:

Inherited minis!

You can kill a werewolf with those ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I will stick to 20, no matter if others tell you that it is around 750!

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Inherited minis!

You can kill a werewolf with those ::P:

You have silver minis?

And please leave the local werewolves alone, it's just their way of life..

Poor things..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

A more serious answer is, I don't know, but a rough guesstimate would put it at somewhere between 300 to 400 minis.

I really should make another attempt to catalogue them.

• Like 6

Oh that's an EASY one.

I have exactly ONE figure, nicely primed, sitting in front of me, waiting to be painted.

Let's not mention the various boxes and crates, sitting in the garage, spare room and sundry cupboards...

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

I have more miniatures than I will probably be able to paint in the remainder of my life. I have put in a request for a work extension from The Man however.

5 hours ago, paintybeard said:

My apologies, malefactus, I certainly didn't intend to insult anyone on this forum. And thank you to other contributors for clarifying the definition that I was trying to make.

I am sorry I took it the wrong way, paintybeard. I am getting more foolish in my old age. 

My stuff is cartoony by intent & by the miniatures I choose, modify, & sculpt. The color isn't part of the silliness equation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

whelmingly large quantities of

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

You really want to know?  I have no idea, but it's in thousands, not hundreds.  In following on to previous discussions of style, a lot of that is going to end up with tabletop unit level painting, if it doesn't get released back into the wild... On top of that, I have molds, so if I run short, I can always make a few more. ::P:

Oh, and to show the way my brain works, I only visualized the lead pile.  I could probably pull out something approaching a hundred boxes of 1/72 scale plastics at 30-40 figures per box, so a few thousand more there.  But, a) plastic doesn't count (not even Bones) and b) due to the mixes in plastic boxes, there are a lot of times where I know even when I'm buying them that I only have a plan for half or less of the figures in a box.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 6

Here are all my minis that aren't stored away t the moment. 

IMG_2087.thumb.JPG.ef16c231ef5f4162a5a152a6a0b314f2.JPG

Some of them are being worked on, some of them are waiting to be worked on (oh, let's get real here, they're ALL waiting to be worked on), and some are just out because I haven't sorted them or I have no better place to put them. 

You can count them if you want :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 1/12/2019 at 4:45 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 12, 2019

Are you a tabletop or display painter?

Primarily TT, but I try for a high end TT. My attempts at competition level minis have gone okay. Nothing stunning, but getting better. Hoping next ReaperCon to get a silver. 

21 hours ago, paintybeard said:

A follow up question, if Corsair will forgive me.

Do any of you paint in more than one style?

Broadly speaking I have 2. Firstly what I call "Cartoon"; Very bright colours and quite contrasty. Secondly "Realistic"; considerably more muted colours and a more limited, matching palette.

I definitely tend toward a more muted palette, but I do try to push that brighter and a little more cartoony sometimes. 

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have over :lol: minis waiting to be painted...

Let's just say my tracking sheet is... incomplete. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

I have come to accept that tabletop is where I need to set my mind.

When I first started ~15 months ago I was actually scared to paint anything at all because if it wasn't what I considered "display level stunning" then surely I had failed, right?

I spent months and months watching videos, reading books blogs and magazines about painting- and not actually doing any painting at all because I was convinced that the models I had, which were going to be used in tabletop gaming, needed to be display level quality. Or else I had "wasted them"  But they don't need to be like that, I may never enter a competition, I may never like a model enough to put it on display in my own home, but I now paint to a level where, when I DM and pull out a painted model and put it on the table my players gasp and want to hold it and look at it and tell me what a good job I've done (vain, I know) but to me that is 100% enough now- the look on my players faces when a tabletop quality model hits the table brings me joy, and while I aim to improve, I don't think becoming "Display level/ competition winning" is on the table for me, nor is it my goal.

This is an amazing way to look at it, good for you!:winkthumbs:

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Total all of the answers received so far, as well those subsequent to this post, add them together, and then add about 500 to that.

For a more serious answer: I honestly have no idea. I have 18 Chessex figure cases (the ones that hold 80 figures) full. Perhaps 2 of those are actually finished figures. I also have 2 of the same style case made for larger figures (50-ish, I think) also full. I have a plastic storage bin full of boxed sets from the 80's and early 90's. I have an old army issue footlocker, full of unopened figures. I have 8 plastic storage bins full of unopened figures. I have Bones1,2,3, and soon 4 all of which I went in on rather heavily. I think I have a problem.

Short answer: a LOT.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

That is how y'all count around here, right?

I have several thousand unpainted miniatures of various origins in the house.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2