Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

January 1, 2019 What was your favorite gift you received for Christmas, and Why?

The socks my Hubby stuffed in my stocking. Particularly the ones with foxes on them. They're so soft and warm and cute! My Hubby knows me so well :wub:

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

I don't sportsball. Like, at all. I didn't even like fake fantasy sports (i.e., quidditch).

• Like 8

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

Martial Arts, Especially Kickboxing.

Rico Verhoeven!

• Like 6

I'm contractually obliged to say football, and depending on if you ask my dad or my OH I support either West Ham or Arsenal. I have tshirts for both.

Personally any "sport" I indulge in myself is for purely medicinal reasons.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't follow any team sports.  I keep an eye on figure skating between Olympics, though, because my son used to be an ice dancer, and I'm still waiting for anyone he skated against to make the Olympic team.  Not in 2018...

As for doing sports, I still skate myself a bit, and bicycle.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Corsair said:

Okay, I will start this up, we will see just how badly I can screw it up!

January 1, 2019 What was your favorite gift you received for Christmas, and Why?

From my girlfriend: The Last Dab hot sauce from the Heatonist.  It's the sauce that they use on the last wing for all the Hot Ones interviews.  It is way tastier than I imagined it being.

• Like 7

Well, actually, I do like to watch curling. It's mesmerizing. I mean, I don't root for anyone in particular, I just like to watch it. 

Unfortunately, it's never on when I watch the olympics.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I might have a favorite sport if I think about it long enough, but it won't be any of the major ones and I definitely don't have a favorite team.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Probably a toss up between ice hockey & football (US). Teams being either the Oregon Ducks/New Orleans Saints (college/pro) & the Portland Winterhawks/St Louis Blues (New Jersey Devils). I will admit, I'm only a Blues fan due to the Martin Broduer connection. I was & still am (in a way) a Devils fan, but I'm trying to bring my teams more towards the Pacific Northwest. Thou I will admit, I will probably switch to Seattle when they bring their team into the NHL. That'll be the only Seattle team I'll root for thou. Until then Go Hawks!

Funny thing is the Portland Winterhawk logo, colors whatever is the same as the Chicago Blawkhawks, other then where it's a C for Chicago, it's a P for Portland. I absolutely can't stand the Blackhawks. :lol: So it's kinda hard for me to buy Winterhawk gear as it leans toward Blackhawk gear.

I do like other sports & teams but the above are prob my top teams, with Portland's MLS team, the Timbers behind just barely. I like watching them play but I'm not a big soccer fan. One of these days I'll make it over to Portland to see a game live.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Corsair said:

A picture is worth a thousand words or so the saying goes:

DSCN7367.JPG

I guess it was the pumpkin bread; re, it went first followed closely be the Ghirardelli.

Major League Baseball has become my sport over the last couple of decades. I usually root for the underdogs. My current favorites are the Braves, Pirates, & Astros not necessarily in that order.

I casually follow the NBA. the 76sers are my team.

• Like 12

I haven't really rooted for any particular team willingly since, jeez... The Edmonton Trappers existed, and I last was at one of their games in the late '90's.  Baseball hasn't fared well here in town, and neither has soccer/football (just ask the Drillers, and the Edmonton DC - we'll see popularity rise for a bit everytime we host a world game, and then it dies down pretty quick again). 

I used to be involved in sports though, back in high school, and since I still enjoy it (even if I don't do it all that often anymore) I'd have to say swimming.  It's soooooo enjoyable, at least the act of it.... 

I do not have a favourite sports team, but when I lived in Red Deer (fourth largest city in Alberta, and pretty much literally at the mid-point between Edmonton and Calgary) I would playfully say Pittsburgh Penguins were my favourite team since nobody would accept me saying Red Deer Rebels (apparently WHL doesn't count, they wanted NHL teams).  Knowing how zealous fans were, most would go "oh, sorry to hear" and change the topic... up until a while later I was finally caught for my ruse, because they were pretty much on fire (apparently they got the Stanley Cup that year), and when I wasn't swelling with pride about it that lady knew I was using it to get out of the stupid Edmonton vs Calgary rivalry that I've never really seen a point in. 

Playful answer: Venture Racing Team is my favourite from the old Eve Online racing leagues.  Man I miss those races, but the league literally ripped itself apart from drama (twice).  What I miss more though is I never backed up the stories I'd written on the forums, and when the owner pulled the plug on the league forums, the stories went with it. Why VRT?  Because we were awesome! :p

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Been playing Ice Hockey on and off since I was 5, definitely my favorite. The Blue Jacket's Nationwide Arena is about 15 minutes away, my parents are day 1 season ticket holders, and I go a couple times a year and watch a decent amount of every game (hard to catch all of them any more with the younger kiddo). Definitely my team. 

I'm the goalie on the left:

14045695_10154456781444812_2876664948293

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 11

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

The Fretz Texturing Hammer my sister got me.  It is so pretty. And feels so good in my hand; I just want to go pond metal with it.

Spoiler

Image result for fretz texturing hammers

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

It was fencing, specifically epee fencing.  I competed on and off for about 20 years.  Then my forties hit me and I started getting injured a lot and decided to hang it up.

For non competition related sports, fishing is king for me.  I spend a lot of my summer free time fishing WI and MN in my kayak.

As for following any teams, no I really only care about sports I personally partake in.  I've always found that, for me, watching other people play games is quite boring and I'd rather use the time doing something productive.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

College basketball.  My favorite team is the Kansas University Jayhawks!  Rock Chalk!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

As for following any teams, no I really only care about sports I personally partake in.  I've always found that, for me, watching other people play games is quite boring and I'd rather use the time doing something productive.

I am 100% with you on this.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Does running count? My goal for this year is to do more races.  I'm hoping for a duathalon in the spring and a half marathon in the fall. 

My wife has got me hooked on Nebraska Cornhusker Volleyball of all things.  She's a middle school volleyball coach and she went to Nebraska for college, so she has a passion for the team.  I'm not as obsessed as some Husker fans, but I've had a ton of fun at the games we've gone to.  We traveled up to Minneapolis for the national championship game in December, but unfortunately they came up short.  Still a great trip though!

• Like 10