Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

Never was really into sports. Did softball and bowling as a kid, have some trophies in the parent's attic, but there was no love for it.   I will listen to baseball over the radio if the local team is winning or they are playing a good game, but I don't sit and watch anything.  

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

In general I've never been too into sports as a whole. The one exception to that are the Cincinnati Reds. Don't know what it is, but not much makes me happier than going to Great American Ballpark to see a game. Or listening to them on the radio. Give me a warm summer day in the backyard brewing some beer while the Reds are on the radio and my lazy dogs are getting in the way and that's practically heaven. Now if they'd just get a winning season again. 

• Like 9

January 2, 2019   What is your favorite sport and do you have a team that is your favorite?

The soul crushing awfulness that is the Seattle Mariners (baseball).

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm not much into team sports, either - for the same reason as Talespinner stated - it's more fun to participate than watch.  On a side note, that's why shows like Critical Role don't appeal to me either.  That said, if I go to a  team sporting event, it's usually baseball or hockey - I find them more fun to watch in person.  On TV, I'll watch the Super Bowl.    Half my nieces are into volleyball, so I do enjoy going to their volleyball games to root for them. 

I used to be big into skiing, before it became so expensive.  I'll still watch Downhill racing and Giant Slalom events periodically

Some people don't consider it a sport, but I really enjoy auto racing.  I used to Autocross my Miata, and I enjoy watching road racing events, especially the Spec Miata classes. 

Edited to add:  Oh, as for teams I'll root for - I grew up in CO, so the Broncos, Rockies and Avs are my stated team preferences. And I'll root for anyone playing against the Raiders and 49ers.   This is mostly because I lived in the San Francisco bay area during Super Bowl XXIV, when the Broncos got their butts kicked yet again by the 49ers.   Having to listen die hard 49ers AND Raiders fans razz me about being from Denver got annoying. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Football, and the New York Giants. Even though they are not in new york, and have been terrible the last couple of years, it is hard to stay mad at eli. 

I may also have several minis painted in giants uniforms... (ignore the opposing team)

20180121_101032.jpg

• Like 11

For sports I will go with Boomerang, Disc Golf, Softball and Fencing.  All of them I have competed in.

My favorite team would be the Cleveland Boomerang team that I captained in 1986 that came in second in the nation.  Close second is the varsity Fencing team from 1969-70 from CWRU.  I was Foil and we came in 6th in the nation among all colleges.  We are Division III in most sports but in Fencing all Universities compete on the same level at that time.  Notre Dame came in 1st.  BTW I had no hand in the 6th place finish except to be the sparing partner for the starters.  I lost all my matches that I was in.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

So far no one has mentioned cricket... :ph34r:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Some people don't consider it a sport, but I really enjoy auto racing.  I used to Autocross my Miata, and I enjoy watching road racing events, especially the Spec Miata classes. 

My favourite was Street Mod and Street Prep, as some people would get creative with their point usages, and it was always interesting to see what they would do with such... 

D Mod guys were definitely fun to watch though, had a few guys show up with open wheeler tube frame 350's.

When I was active they were slowly transitioning to SCCA? rules from the WCMA ones, hence why those two categories. 

Winter autocross was the fun one.  Man I miss Race City, and I don't have the cash to get a membership at Badlands when they open. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

Horse racing, show jumping, and dressage.

Weird part is, no I never owned a horse. I know how to trail-ride and that's pretty much it.

Maybe human sports are just dumb.

• Like 10

Just now, NebulousMissy said:

Horse racing, show jumping, and dressage.

Weird part is, no I never owned a horse. I know how to trail-ride and that's pretty much it.

Maybe human sports are just dumb.

Human sports are just dumb, I agree. But for people playing, I can see them being fun. I'm not into watching sports though. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

BTW I had no hand in the 6th place finish except to be the sparing partner for the starters.  I lost all my matches that I was in.

I was always far better used as a moving training dummy than I was as a competitive fencer...but I loved it.  I had the fortune of being a member at the Twin Cities Fencing Club during the years that Susie Scanlan was growing up and training and our Coach, Ro Soblavaro was named the head coach of the Women's Epee Team for the Beijing Olympics.  Susie made the team and they took Bronze which is one of the highest rankings on a world stage that the US had ever achieved in fencing (The highest was the Olympic gold won in Women's saber; I can't remember the year; but it is saber, so I can't be bothered to look it up, as they don't really count anyway. ::P:).

So I can honestly say that I regularly had my butt kicked by an Olympic medalist. ::D:   Actually, I beat her once (before you get impressed, the coach had forbidden her from using any of her signature moves, because he felt she was getting too predictable, so she couldn't bring her A or even B game, but I still won, by one point).

• Like 13

My coach won a Bronze metal in the Olympics in Saber.  Our best fencer was also saber.  He won at nationals.  I don't remember him losing all year.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TGP said:

So far no one has mentioned cricket... :ph34r:

Sound of crickets chirping.....

• Haha 8

On 1/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, Corsair said:

Okay, I will start this up, we will see just how badly I can screw it up!

January 1, 2019 What was your favorite gift you received for Christmas, and Why?

Hard to say at this juncture as I haven't even opened some of them.  A lot of them were games so I'll reserve judgement until after the playing.

18 hours ago, Corsair said:

It would either be college football or MLB.  In truth though, both frequently end up a background noise while I'm doing something else.  I no longer live in-state but still follow mizzou and the cardinals. 

• Like 5