Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

21 minutes ago, Marineal said:

I would like more information on this. PET machines use crystals? You grow them? 

The succinct answer to both those questions is "yes".  The crystals are basically the eye of the machine; they capture the gamma rays emitted by the radioactive annihilation going on in your body from the tracer solution you received prior to the scan.  These crystals are grown in a high temperature furnace, out of a molten soup of rare earth metals.

What else would you like to know?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VitM said:

::P:

Actually though, I grow crystals and build detector arrays for PET machines.

15 minutes ago, VitM said:

The succinct answer to both those questions is "yes".  The crystals are basically the eye of the machine; they capture the gamma rays emitted by the radioactive annihilation going on in your body from the tracer solution you received prior to the scan.  These crystals are grown in a high temperature furnace, out of a molten soup of rare earth metals.

More. Lots more. 

What rare earths and why? My master's was dealing with a REE mineral (the one used to discover REEs!). I don't know the specifics on their uses though. Just that they *are* used. Also kinda jealous that you get to grow crystals. I haven't been on the experimental crystallography side yet. 

Bonus to this thread: I love you guys and you bring a huge variety of wisdom to the forums. You're awesome. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Bonus to this thread: I love you guys and you bring a huge variety of wisdom to the forums. You're awesome. 

Yes, it's like sitting next to Alex Trebek!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, VitM said:

huh! I had no idea!!! I'm on the ER side, so we just find the bad things and tell people the bad news and to follow up with the docs that do PET scans and the like.

That is fascinating. Are they crystals like my fancy tumblers are crystal? Like grown into a sheet of glass?

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Zink said:

Love guns of all types but with a special interest on older western and military stuff. Had planned on doing repairs and special orders for people as a sideline to farming. There's a couple shops like that in the area but the closest is over 100km from here. Timing was bad as that was right when the government starting imposing more restrictions and regulations on firearms. Things relaxed some years later but by then I was married and don't even hunt very often any more. Never did buy the couple of guns that were on my wishlist. Maybe someday.

Just finished building a custom 1911 in Super .38 to copy what one would have looked like from Colt in the 20s , Caspian frame, Sig barrel, ATI slide, Wilson and Wolff insides. I did the fitting and had a gunsmith buddy do the trigger. It turned out really well.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

More. Lots more. 

What rare earths and why? My master's was dealing with a REE mineral (the one used to discover REEs!). I don't know the specifics on their uses though. Just that they *are* used. Also kinda jealous that you get to grow crystals. I haven't been on the experimental crystallography side yet. 

I've personally grown crystals involving the REEs Yttrium, Cerium, Neodymium, Gadolinium, and Lutetium.  Most (all?) current PETs run off of Lutetium based crystals.

edit to add: That was a while ago though, it's been years since I've grown anything.  I mostly supervise QC testing and final module assembly now.

11 minutes ago, Marineal said:

huh! I had no idea!!! I'm on the ER side, so we just find the bad things and tell people the bad news and to follow up with the docs that do PET scans and the like.

That is fascinating. Are they crystals like my fancy tumblers are crystal? Like grown into a sheet of glass?

The crystals come out of the furnace as a cylindrical boule.  Then we saw and polish them into individual pixels.  The pixels are then assembled into the final detector module that we send to the PET manufacturer.

Edited by VitM
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, VitM said:

I've personally grown crystals involving the REEs Yttrium, Cerium, Neodymium, Gadolinium, and Lutetium.  Most (all?) current PETs run off of Lutetium based crystals.

edit to add: That was a while ago though, it's been years since I've grown anything.  I mostly supervise QC testing and final module assembly now.

The crystals come out of the furnace as a cylindrical boule.  Then we saw and polish them into individual pixels.  The pixels are then assembled into the final detector module that we send to the PET manufacturer.

My rad tech and I both thank you for teaching us something we didn't know! :D

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Marineal said:

My rad tech and I both thank you for teaching us something we didn't know! :D

Depending on the brand and age of your machine, I may have had a direct hand in the crystals in it. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I believe you call it Community College, after that I specialized in several Logistic and Dangerous Goods courses.

So no..

Community College is real college. It's where all these associates degrees (As, AA) come from.

I commonly did stuff at the community college that I wouldn't see again until looking into grad schools. It was common for community college classes to be taught at the graduate level because the professor wanted to. And because UCLA sent all their grad-level nursing students to community college for skill-ups so those professors had sanction to teach to whatever level they wanted.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, NebulousMissy said:

Community College is real college. It's where all these associates degrees (As, AA) come from.

I commonly did stuff at the community college that I wouldn't see again until looking into grad schools. It was common for community college classes to be taught at the graduate level because the professor wanted to. And because UCLA sent all their grad-level nursing students to community college for skill-ups so those professors had sanction to teach to whatever level they wanted.

Community college do all sorts of good vocational training. the one I work at trains pilots, nurses, technicians of several sorts, machinists, draftsmen, cooks, and does a whole lot of license renewal courses. 

In addition to all the AA, AS, GED, degrees, and students looking transfer into 4 year programs.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I agree. Community College is awesome. My first courses were at a CC, and the professors there were fantastic. They taught as well, or better, than many at 4 year universities. I think that since CC tends to hire for teaching, they're more likely to get people who want to teach. 4-year universities are pretty dumb in that they hire people who want to do research, and force them to teach (usually). People who don't want to teach tend to be bad teachers. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have had a lot of extra training and courses.

But I'm a soldier for life.

I will retire at age 60 ( 6 yrs to go!) maybe I will work a few days a week then just for fun.

Ahhhh, a lifer.  Nothing wrong with such.  Dad retired after 20 years.  He considered the 5 year extension due to the perks, but pretty much laughed the officer out of the room when they told him he'd be in the middle of nowhere Quebec if he accepted.  Apparently dad didn't want to deal with the moving thing again... Well, at least to the middle of "nowhere" - he didn't say where, but I'm going to venture a guess they said Bagotville, and he didn't want a "downgrade" from working on helis (he went from Voodoo2's and CF-18's to Twin Hueys and Kiowas, and eventually Griffins). 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Exactly. My ADN is from a community college, and my husband's Chemical Process degree as well. 

I even took most of my prerequisites for my Bachelor's degree there; it was significantly cheaper.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Community Colleges are a great, and often overlooked, resource for young professionals. I get a fresh faced batch of interns every spring who are typically in their last years of undergrad or just starting their grad school work. Most of them are from ecology or natural resource programs and it is astounding the amount of applicable math and computer skills they never received getting their bachelors. By the end of every summer I've typically convinced one or more of them to enroll at their local CC for a course in basic GIS, data management, or pre calculus. It really improves their desirability to employers in our field. And on more than one occasion I've been informed that by taking those extra classes it gave them some needed skill to get into a competitive grad school program. Love community colleges!

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 17, 2019

Do you have a college degree, and if so, what is it?

I have a BS in Computer Information Science. 

If I won the lottery I'd take Co-Op extension courses and spend all my time on the farm. 

• Like 7